R.I.P. 30 UVic Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One member of the group in Victoria phoned Smith trying to appease her and said she would come out and remove the rabbits on her property. When Smith found out that she was going to take them away Smith said "there is no way are you going to spread this problem! I have a trapper here and we will kill them all!"
So there you go rabbit lovers. Sadly I am not permitted to post any address info on the site otherwise i would let you all know. its time we stopped being such nice guys!

As noted, we can reproduce other media. (If you returned my calls, I'd be able to tell you the plan for action!)

Roslyn has an awesome list of all the best places to email protests, I'm just looking for it but if you have it, please post it.

And I just posted this on my Facebook page:

"On Thursday evening, Smith said she could see about two dozen rabbits in
her field and another four dozen in a neighbouring field, but she has no
intention of allowing Vickery on her property to catch them.“I will deal with the rabbits on my land in whatever way I have to,” she said."

Barbara Smith has children and grandchildren, w...hat is she teaching them? This woman also runs a competitive trail riding association (http://www.bcctra.ca) which also attracts young riders, would you want this attitude passed on to those kids? The association is sponsored by Cavallo, a horse equipment company (http://www.cavallo-inc.com), I'd never support a company supporting this kind of carnage towards small animals. Saving the rest of the rabbits is going to take fast action and a LOT of pressure, please contact all involved and make your feelings known before its too late. :(

I think we are past emails. My emails to the SPCA, the RCMP, the Law Society all went unanswered. I spoke with a constable at the Oceanside RCMP detachment who said he would try to appease her but other than that he has no legal gounds to stop her.

does the lady truly understand what these rabbits went through. Maybe that could help apease her. But then again maybe not. I know plenty of people that don't care anything for the animals themselves, just the buck they can make off of them. I've met enough kill buyers (people that buy horses for meat.) to know that they simply want to make a buck off of them. My opion is this lady knows what these rabbit have gone through and doesn't care she just wants her 15 minutes of fame wether its good or not. SHE DOES NOT CARE. people like her never do and beleive me there is no changing her mind,beleive me I know her kind and I have tried to no avail. But I will keep praying that she will change her mind and allow them to be recaptured.

I do not think she is into kill buying as she is a director of a riding group. Nonetheless her attitude towards the rabbits is scary. Maybe she knows what they went through, maybe not. To her they are pests that must be eliminated. The mere fact that she thinks the "problem" will spread and the fact she considers them rodents makes me believe she does not care or have any idea.

No I don't think she is a kill buyer. I just know alot of them that have attitudes just like hers. She just doesn't care. We had that problem here in Idaho way back when and look where that got us. Not very far and It caused alot more problems than it was worth alot of problems were are still dealing with today. TheMinistry of Enviroment peoplereally need to read our Idaho History. Maybe that will change their mind about eliminating rabbits. i will have to see if I can dig up the story again. It really makes you think twice about allowing people to just kill at will.

The Ministry of Environment claims that any rabbit that has been abandoned for more than 30 days is now "owned" by the government. When we tried to remove rabbits from the campus at the university we had to have permits from the MoE as we were removing wildlife. Yet anyone could shoot or kill them without. Of course proving that the rabbits that were taken had been on campus for more than 30 days would be impossible. The MoE is a typical red tape bureacracy and nothing changes their mind. When we dealt with the ministry we were also dealing with graduates of that university who work for the ministry. Something akin to an "old boys club".

Bill Jesse wrote:
I think we are past emails. My emails to the SPCA, the RCMP, the Law Society all went unanswered. I spoke with a constable at the Oceanside RCMP detachment who said he would try to appease her but other than that he has no legal gounds to stop her.
Unanswered is good. Hopefully that means they're getting too many to respond to. When they have the time to answer, that's when I question the volume.

We're talking 'pressure' and 'opinion'. Right now they're reading the pro-death responses on the media articles and they're thinking that public opinion is on their side.

Civil disobedience means interfering in a non-violent manner, but doing something that HAS to be addressed, like going after third party supporters/suppliers, is very effective!

That said, Smith's husband's website is www.rickcoonce.com.

sas

Poor little bunnies. That lady is truly heartless. I would love to give that lady a piece of my mind about killing those innocent little bunnies.

I don't know if anyone tried to explain to the lady that rabbits are not a nuisance like rats or other wildlife, but maybe it would get her to listen if she knew the facts about rabbits.

This is the letter I sent to the TC and other places:

Apart from the obvious humanitarian and ethical considerations which I assume most people take for granted, I would like to remind the person who ordered the shooting of many rescued bunnies from the sanctuary in Coombs that her action shows no respect or consideration for the many hours of work that numerous compassionate vets donated with much effort in their spare time or even on weekends to spay/neuter those rabbits. It can take one hour to sterilize one female so one can easily figure out the total hours that they have devoted to do this and that have now been wasted. Also, the author of this action shows no respect whatsoever for the many members of the public including myself who have donated much time and money to this cause. I hold this person personally responsible for this loss. I expect a lawyer to at least be able to understand losses of time and money if nothing else.

Latest posts

Back