R.I.P. 30 UVic Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Jesse

Reaction score
Thirty UVic rescued bunnies gotthrough a hole in a fence at the sanctuary in Coombs BC and were shot to death by an irate neighbour. She did not even give the volunteersa chance to get them back. A real shame after all the bunnies went through at the university and the work the volunteers did to save them from the tyrants at UVic.

Thank you for that. At first it was such a shock that it didn't affect me but each minute it seems like its getting worse. Really hate that murdering woman and despite my senior years I have never hated anyone.

One of the email addresses was wrong and in any case we have a policy of not publishing contact info for people in these situations, although I'd personally love for people to discuss this with her in an even-keeled manner, I haven't heard her side of the story, there may have been mitigating circumstances, not that I'd find ANY excuse tolerable in this case. :(

Until her name appears in the media, it can't be published here, but if it does, this will be reconsidered, thanks.

sas :rip:

http://www.westcoaster.ca/oceanside/9955-UVic-Rabbits-Escape-Sanctuary-Shot-Dead.html

UVic Rabbits Escape Sanctuary, Shot Dead 30/09/2010 16:13:00 Jan Beecher

Rabbits rescued from the University of Victoria were shot in Coombs this week after they escaped from their new sanctuary.

David Currie, a Ministry of Environment spokesman, said his Nanaimo office received a complaint from a woman who said rabbits had strayed onto her property from the neighbouring permitted-rabbit sanctuary at World Parrot Refuge.

“We can also confirm, the neighbouring resident did contract a nuisance trapper to destroy the rabbits that were on her property,” said Currie.

According to Currie, the shooting was within the rights of the property owner because rabbits are Schedule C wildlife.

“Schedule C wildlife can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in B.C.,” he said.

The University of Victoria rabbit issue has received nation-wide attention after a court injunction July 30 stopped UVic’s original rabbit management plan – to potentially trap and euthanize approximately 1,600 rabbits that reside on campus.

In May, 94 rabbits were culled in a trial run of the plan.

The University managed to have the injunction set aside in late August.

From that point on university operations were allowed to humanely trap rabbits and hand them over to permit holders.

The permit holders had to meet requirements set out by the Ministry of Environment. Permit orders had to prove their accommodations satisfied the rabbits’ health and well being and prevented the animals from escaping. Permit holders were also required to prove the rabbits were sterilized.

According to university officials, two individuals came forward to take the rabbits – one of them was the Earthanimal Humane Education and Rescue Society, operated by Susan Vickary, out of Salt Spring Island.

Vickary has worked to get three permits: one at her property on Salt Spring Island, one at Cowichan Station and one at Coombs, which was on the World Parrot Refuge grounds. Cowichan Station can take 30 rabbits, Coombs is permitted for 350.

“I think it’s very unfortunate because she has worked hard to find a home for them,” said Tom Smith, executive director of facilities at UVic.

He said UVic has to date handed over 254 rabbits to Vickary.

“When we turn them over they are counted – we keep track to make sure they don’t exceed the permit.”

Smith says there have been 402 rabbits removed since the trapping resumed.

“There’s another wave of babies coming,” he said.

Female rabbits that were lactating when they were captured were set free to return to their babies – but if the animals were pregnant when trapped, the babies became the responsibility of the permit holder.

The remainder of the rabbits, 148, are headed to Texas, to the Wild Rose Rescue Ranch.

That operation is being led by Lara-Leah Shaw, a realtor and activist on the mainland, who has a permit to take up to 1,000 rabbits.

The ministry is still investigating the Coombs rabbit shooting.

Currie said that failure to comply with the terms of the permit to possess rabbits under the Wildlife Act could result in the permit being cancelled and denial of further applications.

Poor bun buns :( I have a hard time understanding how someone could equate bunnies with rage. Not saying that she did- like Sas said, we don't know her side of the story- but she'd have to have something going on if her first reaction was to go on a bunny killing spree and shoot them all before anyone could do anything.

If any of those rabbits were the babies born on the property, they ARE the property of the Coombs Sanctuary, not the Crown.

I hope Wendy, the sanctuary owner, is pursuing this.

sas :(

Sorry I would have a very difficult time discussing this on an even-keel manner. She killed rabbits and they may even have been some that I befriended when I was patrolling the university. Hopefully this case has gone world-wide. And if you do not let anyone put contact names on this site, fine but her name is on most Facebook sites. What she did was horrible.

your welcome. I know what you mean I don't hate many people it takes alot for me to hate someone but its true for this lady how heartless can people be. This really effects me because I had a neighbor who allowed his dog to kill my chickens when they were free range. the one he killed was my baby. I penned them up and one day one of my laying hensgot out. instead of coming to get me he let his dog kill it then came and got me. he said it was in the bushes. I looked everywhere in the feild where there was bushes i couldn't find her i figured something carried her off. my brother found it up in the yard bushes when he took the dog out. not a mistake and my hens never came up past the garden. back yard, he found her in the front yard bushes. some people just don't understand animals and how to deal with them. This reminds me of the case in Cali where a pregnant cow at the Cali State Fair got out(she was there for a live birth display) they couldn't catch on pen her so they shot her instead of allowing 4h and FFA kids and parents to deal with it they chased her with a car agitated her and killed her and her unborn calf cause they were more worried about opening the fair than the cow and her calfs safety, Hello ever heard of hay and a lasso. people can be so heartless.

I suppose there are millions of such stories involving animals and each is sad. Humans just do not understand. Now that the rabbits are almost gone from the university the next thing to be culled will be the deer. As someone wrote "a death sentence for eating a flower is pretty harsh!" I'd ather live with a thousand animals than an equal amount of humans.

Bill Jesse wrote:
I suppose there are millions of such stories involving animals and each is sad. Humans just do not understand. Now that the rabbits are almost gone from the university the next thing to be culled will be the deer. As someone wrote "a death sentence for eating a flower is pretty harsh!" I'd ather live with a thousand animals than an equal amount of humans.

If that becomes the case I hope some one is as willing to save them as so many were to save the rabbits. Amen. I agree I would rather live wih a thousand animals than an equal amount of humans any day.

RIP and Binky free.

Crystal

I don't know. The number trying to save the rabbits is very small. It started big but like everything there were many more talkers than doers. At the moment in Victoria there are probably 3, maybe 4 real active people.
I once suggested in a letter to a newspaper that the province cuts down every tree and paves every inch of landscape (they are trying to!) and the animals and birds would have no place to go and all die off.

Bill Jesse wrote:
I don't know. The number trying to save the rabbits is very small. It started big but like everything there were many more talkers than doers. At the moment in Victoria there are probably 3, maybe 4 real active people.
I once suggested in a letter to a newspaper that the province cuts down every tree and paves every inch of landscape (they are trying to!) and the animals and birds would have no place to go and all die off.

I never realized how few there were.

That is so true. I just seems like no one wants animals specifically wildlife or livestock around anymore. I know for years there have been many of us working to save the wild mustangs here in the US. And then so many trying to save race Horses "after the finish line", no one realizes how many champions end up in slaughter. I have rescued horses for many years. I have also rescued dogs, cats, birds, etc. It sickens me how people can care so little. i don't get it. Maybe its time for us animal lover to truely make a stand for animals that have no voice and can not defend themselves.

Crystal

Yes we are really very few people in this rescue mission in Victoria. There is one - maybe more involved in the Coombs sanctuary but any information about them is kept a secret. In our group there are a few more in Vancouver but being where they are they cannot be literally hands-on. Their work is highly needed and appreciated though.
If only I could find a decent piece of land to build some sort of sanctuary on it I would. Land here is very expensive and any lots that become available are in new housing tracts. Might be time to go to the country.

I understand what you mean. Finding affordable land in my area is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I would if I could but trying to do that and try to pay for college and take care of animals is litterally impossible. I wish I could because I feel bad but I do try to help out as many bunnies here that I can as much as possible. We have people that dump them in parks daily and many end up being euthanized because people don't want them. If I had the space time and money I would do everything in my power to save every animal I could

Crystal

Rest in peace little ones. What justification can there be for this. She had to know where they came from. I have yet to hear of a single case where someone was in fear for their life because of a bunny attack. Sounds like a good argument for taking away firearms from someone who shouldn't be allowed to have them in the first place. Truthfully, sounds like she had a grudge against the sanctuary.

Sadly in this province the Ministry of Environment has deemed all rabbits as 'wildlife' which allows farmers, trappers and homeowners to kill them. They have no protection.
The other bad part is there are supposedly another bunch of rabbits on this person's property and she will not allow the rescue volunteers to enter. She says "I will deal with the rabbits on my land in whichever way I have to!" This does sound ominous.
We are sending her emails to try to convince her otherwise. I would give you or anyone her email address but I have been told I cannot post it. However you can email me for it.

Latest posts

Back