Pre pre bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILikeBigBuns

Reaction score
I volunteer at a rescue for buns and a new bun just came in that I am head over heels for. My current bun is super social so I’d like to get him a buddy. To me this would be perfect but as we know it may not be perfect for them. My bun is about 6 months old, male, neutered, very social, very curious/adventurous, and likes attention but doesn’t like to be held. The new bun is about 5 years old, not neutered yet (will wait until fixed plus the 8 weeks before trying to bond, very docile, likes being held, and also a male. Both buns are approx. the same size.

I realize the above description has a lot working against me but I’d really like the pair to work out. A yin to the yang. So my question, is there anything I can do as I wait for the new bun to get fixed and have the hormones dissipate? Can I have a toy in the cage at the rescue then bring it home for my bun? Then vice versa? Any tips I can use for like a pre pre bonding thing would be helpful. Again I know it’s a long shot but it was love at first sight so I’d like to do all I can to make it work.

I don't think your description of the rabbits' personalities shows anything working against them. Several pairs I've had were with one shy bun (not liking to be held) and one outgoing, adventurous bun. Male/male isn't the easiest but can be done (if buns are willing).

I don't think anything you do pre-neuter is going to have much effect. After he returns from the vet's he'll smell different and will seem like a different rabbit anyway.

I'd even be reluctant after the neuter to share toys or anything in fear that any hormonal smell might sabotage impressions. During that 8 weeks, I'd be more concerned about doing anything that might make things more difficult by confusing them with lingering hormonal odors. That would be my thought anyway.

I thought exactly the same as blue eyes, I wouldn’t want to confuse the bond or make anything more complicated for the bunnies than it needs to be - best to start completely fresh and new to each other on their first meeting in a neutral area, i think :)

Back