Pet rabbits are NOT to be released into the wild! A read for everyone!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really mad about this yesterday, I told my husband about it and he was pissed.
We talked about what is REALLY does teach your kids and its not a good message. Its saying, "oh if you don't want to take care of it, don't! Just set it into the woods and forget about it"

I don't understand how she went to sleep that night. If I had set a rabbit go like that, my guilt would be crippling. I would have searched and searched for the rabbit until I found it and could bring it home with me.

I told Mikel about this yesterday, and he (who is not a HUGE fan of the rabbits like I am) was FURIOUS!

Shellie,
While I applaud you for holding your daughter accountable, I have some things I need to say on Jack's behalf.

As a parent myself, I understand how hard it is to refuse the inevitable "Puppy Promise", but that absolutely does not excuse not researching the breed of pet that you're purchasing for your child. New Zealand Bucks (male rabbits) are a commercial meat breed, and grow to a weight of 10-11 lbs! They're also not notorious for their amicable personality, they're labeled a skittish breed, and with any child under age of 16, scratching and other injuries to child or rabbit are a liability.

My son, despite that he is just a toddler, wanted a rabbit so badly when we rescued former meat rabbits, and now the doe belongs to him. I know he's not going to be able to manage her on his own, so I take care of Artemis. He enjoys filling her food dish, and putting down the fresh bedding in her cage. But I don't mind cleaning up after her. Sometimes it's our duty to teach our children by example.

Now, onto the bad part. Certain pets are banned in parts of the US because people buy them, and "Oh no, our _______ got too big for our cage!" (because they didn't research how big their pet was going to get either), and they simply release them into the wild.

I'm sure other rabbit owners have emailed you, and I'm sure they've told you that European rabbits, and the US Wild Cottontail are two very different species. But now you have to realize, that not only is Jack ill-suited to survival in the hawk/coyote infested area around you, until snow flies, but now, he's also a much larger rabbit (11 lbs) competing with the local wild rabbit (5 lbs) population for food. The other issue is that Domestic rabbits are gregarious, and cottontails aren't so much.(http://www.esf.edu/aec/adks/mammals/cottontail.htm) Which means that Jack will continue to be lonely, or even attacked by the cottontails!

So you didn't like him being in a tiny cage (not a hutch), in the dark? It doesn't cost a lot to build a "Tractor", which is a pen that sits on the ground with a house attached, that is designed to be moved across the ground to fresh grass as needed. This would've been the better lesson to teach your child. Animals are for life, not until you get tired of them, or they become too time-consuming, too much effort, or too much money. You would frown upon a woman who would abandon her children for these exact same reasons, and I love my rabbits just as much as I love my son. Most of them are rescues. And I can't imagine someone turning a rabbit like my "Caerbannog" loose to fend for himself! Why would you teach your children that animals are disposable?!

I would like to urge you to write another blog post about why this is really not as inspirational and heartwarming as you'd originally anticipated, and urge others NOT to release domestic animals, but instead to rehome them, via shelter, rescue, or ad in the local classifieds.

--
Rebecca, Zackary, Artemis (New Zealand cross), Caerbannog (New Zealand), Swiffer (Lionhead), Bruiser (Holland Lop), Nemi (Polish), Niambi (English Lop), No-More and No-Less (Domestic Shorthair cats)
Minions for Munchkins

I received a response from her.

Dear LB,

Thank you very much for your communication. I truly appreciate the time and loving heart it took to write and share with me. This post was written last year and Jack found "her" way back to the front porch, where we made a cozy home for her and she made great friends with our two young cats:)

Our farmer/neighbor friend raises these meat rabbits, so we knew what we were getting in that respect.

One of the truly beautiful things I have found in this blessed life is that people live and learn in different ways; sometimes it's an easy way and sometimes it's a difficult way. To this very moment, I feel what we did with Jack Lapin was the right thing to do. My family lives and loves our wild setting out here and we also experience some tough losses with the predators, including our sweet hens.

I, too, love animals but I could only love a rabbit as much as children, if I didn't have my own (children). However, I do not stand in judgement about your feelings in this regard, and honestly am just very glad to know that in this age of so many horrible, intentional happenings to both children and animals, that you are one who chooses good over evil.

Have a wonderful, blessed day.

Sincerely,

Shellie

So Jack the rabbit is okay? She is at their house living outside like a wild rabbit?!

Well I'll be damned. Thats the crazy thing I've ever freaking heard!

My aunt has had some feral buns that have done well, but the exception is not the rule.

I think that woman is a crazy person.
I also live and enjoy the wild setting that I live in. We have predators, coyotes, owls, foxes, a pair of hawks. I've lost chickens to predators and I've stitched my own rooster up from a run in with a racoon. But I would never let my solid white, spoiled house rabbit out into the wild to let her live off the land. I would also never make her a nest out back of my house and let her live out there. I don't think any of you guys would do that either.
Its completely insane!

Wicka WHAT?????

I think she totally missed the point here. I guess I'll give her credit in that her response was nice and mature and such, but she negates her whole point of "she loves animals" by still saying it was the right thing to do...? Huh? And now the rabbit lives in the wild?

Confused still!!!

not necessarily the "wild" per se, but on her back porch. She completely neglected the point that it's A) Neglect, and B) Teaches her child that it's the appropriate thing to do.

If she knew what she was getting herself into by buying a New Zealand, then why did she buy it that tiny cage? UNLESS she was intentionally setting her child up for failure! My rabbits aren't in the most ideal housing available, but the ones outside get all the light and fresh air that they can stand, and they have little house like areas stuffed with straw to get out of the cold and wet.

It really burns my biscuit that this rabbit is being treated like this, and she doesn't even care!

dungeonbunnies wrote:
I received a response from her.

One of the truly beautiful things I have found in this blessed life is that people live and learn in different ways; sometimes it's an easy way and sometimes it's a difficult way. To this very moment, I feel what we did with Jack Lapin was the right thing to do. My family lives and loves our wild setting out here and we also experience some tough losses with the predators, including our sweet hens.
the line in bold literally turns my stomach.

she honestly seems like someone in the...men&night lifestyle. animals are animals, there for peoples use

That woman is an idiot. The way she worded the whole thing makes me want to puke. It's sickeningly sweet and makes me wonder if she is one of those high on everything hippie types. I know a few which is the only reason I would say that.
How can anyone think that this is okay in ANY way?

cerigirl wrote:
It's sickeningly sweet and makes me wonder if she is one of those high on everything hippie types.
I know a few too, but the ones I know would still never do this. :( We might be talking about two different types of "high on everything hippie types" because the ones I meet are actually really nice people. Like, not "pretend to be nice but actually be horrible" like the lady in the email, but legitimately concerned for the welfare and happiness of other people. A little uncomfortable to hang out with them because of their "alternate lifestyle" but at least I know if I am around them they won't be rude or anything.

It was so nice of her to post on her Facebook about how they're getting another rabbit in the spring and they're doing the exact same thing. And how cruel we all are for containing our rabbits. This woman just does not learn.

In the immortal words of the Joker, It's a funny world we live in.

...Getting another rabbit? This makes me so sick I'm literally trembling. I wish I could bring her poor bunnies inside away from those dangers. :( Anybody know where she lives? I hope it doesn't get too hot.

Kipcha wrote:
It was so nice of her to post on her Facebook about how they're getting another rabbit in the spring and they're doing the exact same thing. And how cruel we all are for containing our rabbits. This woman just does not learn.

Wait, what? She's getting another rabbit? Is this a joke?

HAHA...The crazy lives in portland Oregon and owns a business there. I am going to call the humane society over there and let them know that she is buying pet rabbits for the SOLE purpose of abandoning them in the wild.

agnesthelion wrote:
Kipcha wrote:

Wait, what? She's getting another rabbit? Is this a joke?
It's right on her Facebook page, as well as a blog post comment on her personal blog. She posted about all the hate mail she has been getting and I'm assuming it was the breeder of the rabbits that replied and she chatted back about wanting another rabbit in the spring.

Back