Pebbles is sneezing again.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pet_Bunny

Reaction score
Pebbles started sneezing last week, when I had Spice and Reese stay at our place.
I immediately quarantined Pebbles from the other two, and restricted myself from handling Spice and Reese too much, and only after washing my hands and some times changing clothes.

I took Pebbles to the vet, and started her on antibiotics right away.Right now I am administering Baytril twice a day, and Fastrack once a day. It seems to do the trick, but I docatch the occasional sneeze.

Will Pebbles be like this for the rest of her life, when she is stressed or her immune system is down,to start sneezing?

We are still thinking of getting (adopting) another bunny, would that be fair to the new bunny if Pebbles is sneezing. Will she be able to bond to another bunny, or can the two live together if she has future sneezing bouts?

Here are the pictures from Pebbles Vet visit.

631its5.jpg

Dr. Julie King. She was able to take Pebbles in as the regularDr. Pam Goble was away that day.

6c589jt.jpg

Taking Pebbles temperature. I felt good about Dr. King, as she was able to take a temperature and Pebbles was so relaxed. Usually other Doctors had difficulty or couldn't take a temperature. And Pebbles didn't pee on the Doctor when she was done.

Wash has been sneezing a little bit all summer and the vet said she was probably just mildly allergic to some pollen in the air. Vet said it wasn't a big deal and to make sure that there wasn't any discharge. Nothing has changed and he still sneezes every once and a while.

I'm not sure about the particulars of Pebbles problems, hopefully someone else can come along and help better than I can.

Feel better Pebbles!:hug:

Hi,

We have sneezing buns too. So far, we have run a testing protocol and have come up with something that is working here. I suspect your vet is thinking pasteurella since your rabbit is on Baytril. That drug seems to remain very popular in the veterinary community. However, we have found that thru over use and misuse thru the years that many of the bacteria we are dealing with are becoming or have become resistant.I only rarely use Baytril and mydoctors are buying into my point...fianally. Ask your doctor about using Zithromax. I have found it to be an excellent treatment for upper respiratory infections. Not all doctors are familiar with this drug and most of the manuals don't list it. But it is very effective and we have never experienced any adverse reactions at all.

Randy

What great pictures of Pebbles! She is so like my munchkin except her face has that lovely line around her mouth. What a pretty girl she is, and so well behaved for the vet.

I hope she is better soon, and it's nothing serious. :)

Great info Randy!

Some bunnies are just like this it seems. I know when Max is stressed or sick from something else, his nose starts running a lot. It was definitely worse (along with his breathing) when he had the abscess problem.

Maybe you should speak to your vet about keeping some antibiotic on hand for if/when this happens if it is frequent. And I think that since Pebbles appears to be in great health otherwise, it would be fine to get her a buddy.

And Stan, this is no way to post pictures of a lady! :shame

6c589jt.jpg
Princess Pebbles would not be happy to know such indecent pics were posted of her :big wink:

tundrakatiebean wrote:
Nothing has changed and he still sneezes every once and a while.
Pebbles sneezing has settled. Maybe once a day she would sneeze rapidly 5 or 6 times, wipe her nose, and go on her business.
Her nose is moist but hasno discharge.

ra7751 wrote:
I suspect your vet is thinking pasteurella since your rabbit is on Baytril...a treatment for upper respiratory infections.
That is exactly what the doctor said.

My regular doctor (Pam Goble) was away that day. She had prescribed Sulfatrim twice before when Pebbles had a mid ear infection causing her some head tilt. She says its all pasterurella related.

So when the doctor (Julie King) treatingPebbles decided to switch to a different medication (Baytril), it was something she was familiar with. Dr King seems to be the most experience rabbit vetI met so far. I'll have to ask about the Zithromax if I have to take Pebbles in again.

Randy, do you house your sneezing bunnies with other bunnies? If I get a second bunny, would I be able to put the two together, and if Pebbles starts sneezing, would I have to separate them?

Munchkin wrote:
What a pretty girl she is, and so well behaved for the vet.
Thanks Munchkin. Even the Vet said Pebbles was cute.

The vet warned me about the medication, and if I have trouble syringing it to Pebbles, I should call the doctor.

But Pebbles loves taking her medicine. She drinks it like it was apple juice.

Haley wrote:
Great info Randy!
...you should speak to your vet about keeping some antibiotic on hand
This is the third time I took Pebbles in for sneezing/head tilt. Every time it was after I bunnysat a bunny and they had gone home. Pebbles got so stressed out when they left. However, with Spice and Reese I didn't put them together, and when Pebbles started sneezing I had no choice but to isolate her to a different room.

I should keep medicine on hand, or just ask the doctor for a prescription, so I wouldn't have to take Pebbles in. Her last visit was in May/2007.

Haley wrote:
And Stan, this is no way to post pictures of a lady! :shame
Princess Pebbles would not be happy to know such indecent pics were posted of her.
Would this picture be OK?

66wt7b8.jpg

This is where she gets to play with the doctors instruments.

Pebbles is a beautiful bunny isn't she? And great pics too.

As far as housing sneezing rabbits with other....yes we do. Thing is with most bugs is that by the time you know they are there, if there has been transmission... it has already happened. I have never been fond of separating bonded buns for an illness unless it was absolutely necessary. That can lead to stress and depression and compromise the immune system even more. And something that many people (including me for a very long time) don't realize is that these germs and bacteria can be easliy transmittedon ourhands and clothes. Kinda scary when you get down and learn how easily some of these things can move around on us.

Couple of words about some of the drugs. Pasteurella (most that we have seen anyway) laughs at Sulfatrim now. I do use that drug for aspiration...like with wild life rescued in heavy rains or something similar. Baytril is much more effective when injected rather than administered orally. Many strains of pasteurella are resistant to Baytril. For anyone interested, I do have pics of an ocular infection that grew pasteurella twice in cultures....once while Danny had been on Baytril for nearly two weeks....it was a tough infection. But his situation with resistant pasteurella is showing up more and more. The pic is quite graphic, but if anyone would like to see it, I can send it to you individually. I use the pics in teaching situations with vet students to show them something that is not in the text book. He has recovered and is in remission.

Randy

Latest posts

Back