Peanut's sick - the ongoing saga

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut continues to do well. She's heartily eating and drinking and stumbling around the cage. To the untrained eye, she looks like a normal bunny. To her mom, she looks a little unsteady, but overall very healthy.

I'm still trying to figure out where to go from here. She's not getting worse; if she was, I'd be on the phone with the vet in a heartbeat. I'm not sure what Dr. G will suggest when we see him again, but given the fact that she's doing so well I think right now I prefer a "wait and see" approach. Intervention seems to upset Peanut more than her balance issues do.

And Rex is...Rex. Sweet, supportive, and sexy as ever;) I think he's getting grey fur around his nose. I tell Peanut she needs to stop worrying us so much, but you know she just loves the special attention.

Hiya,

I'm new to the forum so might not have the whole story but I've a couple of suggestions...

A probiotic might help as she's on antibiotics. Ab's tend to upset the gut and the probiotic helps the gut bacteria deal with them. It will help prevent tummy problems happening as a side effect of her other problems.

E.C. tests are expensive but the treatment is cheap and easy to give so if your vet agree's then why not go ahead with it as a precaution? I'm in the UK so I'm not sure what the drug would be over there but here treatment is a months course of pancur - more commonly used for worming.

As quite a large proportion of rabbit's carry E.C. without ever showing clinical symptoms even a positive result doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't an ear infection.

It's not unusual for rabbits to be left with a perminant tilt after an ear infection, I know a few and they cope very well with it. Eating, drinking and playing normally. Even those that do make a complete recovery can take a couple of months altogether.

A few porridge oats mixed with water are good to help a bunny put on weight.

Good luck with her, it sounds like she's lucky to have a very dedicated mum :D

Tam

Here's Peanut giving everyone her palsy "sneer":

180262421_8bfd8e8459.jpg

tamsin - thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to give her as much supportive care as possible, but Peanut is driving her own recovery. She is determined to be a normal, happy, energetic bunny. Besides, I told her, the Elvis impersonations will be a hit at parties :tongue

Hopefully, this will be the last major update for awhile.

The bunnies had their check-up with Dr. G this morning. He checked Peanut over, asked some questions, and said he doesn't think she needs anymore invasive treatments, just continue with the TTouch and let her be as normal a bunny as possible. He also said that he's been treating another rabbit with vestibular damage for 8 years! She's ten now and just as sassy as ever. It was encouraging to hear that. I'm really happy with how well Peanut is doing and confident that she will continue to do well.

However, with that comes the reality that Peanut may not ever be "better". I hesitate to say that, because she's vibrant and happy and I love her to pieces just the way she is. But, and this is a big 'but', she cannot do all the things she used to. Like jumping up onto the furniture, or binkying around the lawn. She gets very easily disoriented when she is picked up, and I have to hold her until she "finds" the floor again. Changes to her environment have to be minimal because she can't judge whether or not things are safe, and moving say, the litterbox, freaks her out.

Like I said, though, I love her. This is just a new season in our lives, and Peanut is adapting to it with her typical dignity and 'tude.

Not to mention, she won't need to see the vet for another 4-6 months, and that makes her very, very happy.

Latest posts

Back