Peanut's sick - the ongoing saga

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really should be sleeping, but I realize that people probably want an update on Peanut.

It's been a stressful week here (well, more like a stressful month) and I'm being stretched pretty thin. Adding a sick rabbit only strains things further. By the end of the day I'm more than ready to fall into bed, only I sleep in a loft, and it's more a climb-up-the-ladder-crawl-towards-the-pillow kind of motion.

As I mentioned yesterday, Peanut has hit a recovery plateau. No better, no worse. She is still very shaky and uncoordinated. Her head does not tilt, but she does tend to list, and sometimes roll, towards her right side. Her balance is quite easily thrown off, so all feeding, cleaning, and medicating is done inside their pen. Luckily the poopy butt issues disappeared after we cut out the bananas. But feeding time usually means a messy face, and I wipe the dribbles up to prevent crustiness. She hates having her face wiped. I ask her if she'd rather have a five pound Mini Rex trying to lick the food off her dewlap. She just buries her head in her chest and tries to will the washcloth away.

She is eating hay on a regular basis, which is good, both for her teeth and for her digestive system. The problem is that she's not eating enough, and so the hand feedings continue. She's drinking water on her own as well, something I'm thankful for in this hot weather. Peanut did try to eat dinner alongside Rex tonight, consuming less than a handful of pellets. Rex tried to share in her dinner as well, and didn't understand why mommy kept shooing him away from the lovely bowl full of mushy food.

I understand that recovery takes time, and given how incapacitated she was a week ago, I'm truly amazed at her progress. But I sense that Peanut is frustrated with the current state of things. Every time she attempts to do something that requires a modicum of coordination, something she's done all her life, and suddenly she can't - well, you can practically feel the discontented vibes. Tonight I watched her struggle to spread out a pile of hay in the litterbox, in order to have a soft place to rest. She took both front paws and pulled the hay towards her, only to topple over headfirst into the side of the box.

But despite her difficulties, she continues to try. After righting herself, she went back to smoothing out the hay, and then settled down for a nap. Rex is a constant presence, always ready for comfort and kisses. I don't think Peanut would be doing this well if it wasn'tfor his companionship.

They're snuggling, I'm exhausted, I think it's time for bed. G'night!

It could be epilepsy or brain issues. Has she gotton into any thing poiseness, like chocolate or a toxic plant? If she has a convultion, gentaly put you hand over her eyes and try to keep her from moving. Give her a blanket to feel warm and comfortable. I have seizures my self - and after I have one, my body temperature drops very badly and I become extremely frigid not mention extremely scared.
Glad I'm hearing she's recoving.
Hope she gets fully healed!!

Thanks, Bun~Bun, though it's not any of those issues.

I think we may have turned a corner, and at this point I am cautiously optimistic. Peanut has been eating and drinking on her own for nearly 48 hours. This is huge.

I've been hand-feeding her for over a week, but given her recent progress, I opted not to last night and instead let her eat dinner with Rex.

This morning she dove into the breakfast plate right alongside him :bunnydance:

*BIG sigh of relief*

She's still taking her meds, and will go back to see Dr. G on Monday. Thank you for all your prayers and kind thoughts. It's been exhausting but I've been comforted because I know that when I log on I can find people who will understand what it's like to be firmly wrapped 'round the paw of a bunny.

:kiss:

wow i'm so happy for you and for Peanut,that is just great news that she has been eating on her own,now that is a big improvement,aww i bet she will miss those little creature comforts like mummy hand feeding her,the things we do just to get them to eat,we are just very loyal bunny lovers,and i'm sure we can all agree on that one.

I have been watching this thread for any updates on Peanut,and when i seen the last update i thought "yes" Peanut is eating on her own,and that in itself is a big improvement for her,i will be hoping that everything goes well at the vets,we want more good news!

Now little miss Peanut,you just work ongetting better for your mummy and for your sweet little man Rex:)

cheryl

Ihad beenhoping that this would be the last update for awhile, but it seems today's vet visit was just another chapter in the saga.

Dr. G doesn't think Peanut has made any clinical improvement. Which came as quite a blow considering she is visibly better than she was two weeks ago. She's eating and drinking on her own, her poops are finally up to size, and she's hoppingaround like a normal bunny, albeit leaning just slightly to the right.

She did lose 1/4 pound, which coming off of a 5 pound rabbit is a fairly significant amount of weight. If it was due to her decrease in appetite, and subsequent hand feedings, then she should gain weight back before their next appointment.

The rabbits are both goingto see Dr. G again in two weeks,Peanut for a re-check and the standard annual exam for both of them. Depending on how well she is doing, wemay verywellend up testing Peanutfor Pasteurella and E. cuniculi. For what I hope are understandable financial reasons, this is not something I'd consider lightly.

Aside from treating the ear infection, Dr. G doesn't feel that the antibiotics did anything for her overall condition. She'sadjusted to having the world off-kilter, but it's adaptation, not improvement. This was evident when he picked her up for a closer look at her face and mouth, and upon placing her back on the exam table she flopped over like a sack of potatoes, her carefully balanced world thrown completely out of whack.

His diagnosis of facial palsy confirmed that there is something different about the right side of her face. Her teeth and jaw are perfectly fine, no sign of misalignment, molar spurs, or abscesses, but I knew that something was "off". The palsy would also explain why the right side of her face has been a little crusty since she started eating on her own (and since mommy stopped wiping her face). She's dribbling slightly when she eats and drinks.

I'm reeling, to say the least. This was not what I expected to hear at all. :sigh

Amini stroke maybe? In which case adjustment is the answer along witha slow,gradual recovery?

Hope she's okay...

smiley_abkt.gif
:clover::pray::clover:
smiley_abkt.gif

sas :pray:and the family :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

You know I'm sure that you have a great vet, however, I feel that he is looking at the Peanuts diagnosis which is what he is supposed to do. What makes me feel bad is that whatever has happened at home with you and Peanut was discounted. I feel that if Peanut's behaviour (eating ,pooping, hopping) has improved that that is significant. If your rabbit's behaviour has improved..only you know that. You learned to help her deal with her present disability and she responded. Hang in there.:hug1

I'm so sorry for the emotional setback. I'm sure that with time Peanut will improve. She's lucky to have someone like you watching out for her.
:clover::clover::pray::pray::clover::clover:

I hope your vet can figure this out. Was she ever prescribed a med for E. cuniculi? Maybe she should be given something for it in case? Test results take a while to get back.

At the very least, she has definately improved. Whether it's from "clinical improvement" or just learning how to cope, it's still improvement and that's good.

Hugs and luck,

Angela and her human and furry pets
:pink iris:

m.e. you've got so much on your plate right now but you're making a difference to so many lives! The news sounds distressing but Peanut sounds like she's coping just fine. You have helped her make a huge improvement. Hang in there :hug2.

Pipp wrote:
Amini stroke maybe? In which case adjustment is the answer along witha slow,gradual recovery?

A stroke is a possibility, though not high on the list of likely suspects. Apparently the direction the eyes move when rabbits have nystagmus can give an indication of the type of problem. Up and down is neurological, side-to-side (what Peanut had) is vestibular. Very interesting, indeed. At the moment, the palsy doesn't seem to be affecting anything but her face.

angieluv wrote:
You know I'm sure that you have a great vet, however, I feel that he is looking at the Peanuts diagnosis which is what he is supposed to do. What makes me feel bad is that whatever has happened at home with you and Peanut was discounted. I feel that if Peanut's behaviour (eating ,pooping, hopping) has improved that that is significant. If your rabbit's behaviour has improved..only you know that. You learned to help her deal with her present disability and she responded. Hang in there.:hug1

Thanks, Angie. I know she's doing better than she was last week. It's just disappointing to hear that while she may look better she still isn't cured, and moreover the prognosis for her future is unclear because we're not 100% sure what's causing this. But you're right, she is doing her best to be a happy, healthy, normal-looking bunny, and I am so grateful for that.

naturestee wrote:
I hope your vet can figure this out. Was she ever prescribed a med for E. cuniculi? Maybe she should be given something for it in case? Test results take a while to get back.

Because she so clearly had an ear infection she was treated for that alone. The combination of antibiotics and pain meds bothered her tummy, so it would not have been wise to put her on yet another medication. Having treated the immediate issue it's become clear that it may not have been the root problem after all.

The test costs nearly $200. I'm not sure how long the results will take. She has two weeks to recover from the meds and hand feedings, during which she will hopefully gain weight and continue to do well, and we'll start exploring other options for a diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you for your input and warm thoughts. I so appreciate them :hearts:

Latest posts

Back