Peanut's sick - the ongoing saga

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She looks good! I can't tell by the last picture if her head is in a slight tilt?? I don't think that she would be doing the "big long flop" if she was uncomfortable. Its sweet that Rex is so good to her..it kind of makes me sentimental to see bunny devotion.Hope all continues better. I know recovery can be lenghty..hopefully hers won't be. :D

Yes, it's been a blessing to have Rex by her side. I honestly don't think she'd be doing as well if she didn't have his constant company.

Overall, I am amazed by Peanut's determination. She is trying so hard to hop around, and she's doing a pretty good job of it. Once she figured out that she couldn't use both paws at once to wash her face, she brings her face down to her paws and wipes it that way. She actually made it into the litterbox to go pee. It's so hard for her, but she's really working at it.

*happy tears*

OH m.e., just when I thought she was on the mend (in your previous post) then she has another bad turn. She is such a little fighter, and with you and Rex slaving away for her, she can only get better. :)

I will be keeping all 3 of you in my prayers.

Jan

hehe, I'll let Rex know so he can start preparing his acceptance speech ;)

I must say I have a new-found respect to those who care for disabled buns on a daily basis. It's been a little surreal to suddenly be the mom of a special needs bunny, though her condition does have the hope of improvement.

Peanut is still unsteady and wobbly on her feet. She shows no interest in eating or drinking on her own; Dr. G said in addition to the coordination issues, the vertigo may cause some stomach upset. So we're hand-feeding Peanut now, a mixture of canned pumpkin, ground pellets, banana baby food, and lots of water. She's not crazy about the idea, but she tolerates it, and she's consuming enough to keep her peeing and pooping. She takes her meds like candy, which has been a real blessing. The ear drops are a bit more difficult: she wants to shake her head, but that makes her whole world spin. So mommy rubs her ears instead.

The worst part is having to put her back in her pen afterwards. She does great when we hold her, feed her, and of course, totally love on her. And she does great once she's settled in the pen. But the transition is difficult, and she tends to get very off-balance and disoriented. She's scared Rex a few times. It's almost as hard for me just to watch Peanut struggle as it is for her. Lots of nose rubs, lots of "I love you, I know you're scared, it's okay..." I just want my baby to feel better.

The rabbits are settled in now, and this exhausted bunny-kitty-mousey mom is going to sleep. Peanut sends love to all those who have been thinking about her, and offering their prayers and vibes.

Pretty good.

She actually stood up and looked at the food dish today while Rex was eating. Of course, she made no motion to eat herself, but her interest was a good sign.

Major poopy butt, though. Whew!
Apparently, Rex has his limits. That took awhile to clean this morning, and I don't think Peanut was very happy about it. If it keeps up she may need to have her bottom shaved because it gets very easily matted.

She's still shaky and unsteady, but she is sitting up on her own. Definite improvement :bunnydance:

Peanut ate on her own! :happydance

She wobbled all the way over to the litterbox, grabbed a couple pieces of hay, and wobbled all the way back to her corner of the pen, where she proceeded to eat the hay! Okay, so it was only one piece, and she flopped down afterwards, but it's huge progress for her :bunnydance:

m40364076.jpg

p.s. changed the thread title ;)

Latest posts

Back