NIC Cages Only-Now Closed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spoh wrote:
What did you end up using underneath the tiles on the second level? I've been thinking of doing a remodel but I ran into the same issue the first time around so I would like to solve that before I start.

Thanks,

Joy

Its a thick piece of wood. Works really really well. :biggrin2:

Had to redo my girls's cage until Pixie is spayed since they werent getting along to well. Im glad it still looks ok though. :)

MillyNPixie021.jpg

MillyNPixie025.jpg

MillyNPixie026.jpg

MillyNPixie024.jpg

MillyNPixie023.jpg

Pixie jumped the middle and knocked food everywhere, so I had to put a divider in the center on the top floor also, so now they can sniff, but Pixie cant hurt her.

MillyNPixie033.jpg

MillyNPixie034.jpg

MillyNPixie035.jpg

OH! All of you probably noticed, but it makes me very angry that I put tile down and everything and Pixie dug and chewed it up. There goes my hard work. :yawn:

Wow. That looks great. ButI couldn't help noticing that the bunnies didn't have anywhere to hide? I use a large stool. Personally I think it's very important. But looks good.:brownbunny

I find my guys hang out underneath the shelf most of the time. They don't really use anything I try to give them like cardboard boxes. I think with the shelf, the cage feels nice and enclosed for them.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
I find my guys hang out underneath the shelf most of the time. They don't really use anything I try to give them like cardboard boxes. I think with the shelf, the cage feels nice and enclosed for them.

--Dawn

I agree. The shelf makes them feel like they are enclosed. Even though I see Milly on the top floor all the time. She figured out how to get up there and now that is her favorite spot. She sleeps up there and eats and pee pees downstairs. Pixie still hasnt got up there yet. I dont know if shes lazy or doesnt know how. :)

PMM....I noticed their food. It is the kind with the colored bits, that type of food is absolutely horrible for them. You need to switch their food, or it could cause many health problems later on.

I also see that you are using cedar in their litter boxes. Did you know that over a few months to a few years....cedar has been known to kill animals because it weakens their respiratory tract?

Ohhhh....and I don't see any hay. Do you feed them hay?

Yeah good points Amy.

Also, do you put toys in there for them? It looks a little bare...

Just go around your house and find things that look fun to shred/dig. Thats what I do!

Some great ones are:
paper bowls/plates
newspaper
a box
an egg carton
toilet paper rolls
etc

Its actully pretty easy!!

btw, they are adorable!

Phinnsmommy wrote:
Also, do you put toys in there for them? It looks a little bare...
This also could be the cause of Pixie digging at the tiles....because she is bored. Simple household toys, like Silvie listed, can cure her boredom.

:biggrin2:

PixieMillyMommy wrote:
aurora369 wrote:

--Dawn

I agree. The shelf makes them feel like they are enclosed. Even though I see Milly on the top floor all the time. She figured out how to get up there and now that is her favorite spot. She sleeps up there and eats and pee pees downstairs. Pixie still hasnt got up there yet. I dont know if shes lazy or doesnt know how. :)
That's how my Maggie is. :)

She LOVES being on the third floor of her cage. She spends most of her day there, except she poops and pees on the first floor, as well as eats. I've actually never seen where she sleeps, because she will not stand to sleep when she knows that I'm awake and could be spending all of my waking hours with her.

Finally gave the girls a toilet paper roll with pennies in it and it is taped at both ends. I also gave them empty pill bottles with pennies in them and a plastic grid holder for them to chew on.

Pennies?

Um I wouldn't reccomend that...

They could eat them, or break a tooth.

I would remove the pennies immediatly.

And I wouldnt give them anything that isnt paper of cardboard. Unless its wood, and you know it is safe for them to chew.

Im still a little confused as to why you gave them pennies :huh

Yeah, but they can easily chew the tape or toilet paper.

AND, they may get their mouths or eys or nose, even their fur can get caught on the tape.

I would just take the pennies, and the tape off, and just give them the toilet paper roll. Its much safer.

I just altered Wash's cage :)new pictures

smallcage2-1.jpg

smallcage1-1.jpg

The top shelf is just covered with cardboard right now, but it's just until I can make another (bigger) pillow like the one on the bottom shelf. He seems to like it a lot. The first thing he did was poop all over it :rollseyes

May I suggest trying to find some L-brackets to support your shelves? I use them and love them so much. They support the shelf from underneath and you don't have to run extra panels underneath and take up bunny play area. And the shelves will be rock solid!

Here's a picture:

I just use cable ties to attach the bracket where the NIC panels connect. I found using a slightly smaller than average cable tie to work best. You can find the brackets at any hardware store, they are designed for making shelving, normally you attached one side to the wall and the other to a piece of wood. They are normally a a couple dollars each and come in a variety of sizes.

--Dawn

kellyjade wrote:
Updated pic of my cage.

AUG22011-1.jpg

How the heck do you get in the top of that thing? Do you have it to where your top opens? Nice cage. I wish I would have been able to get pink, but the store didnt have it. :bigtears:

Back