Newbie Question:

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I thought I'd update the forum that JustJack & I met and had a fun time together as they played withthe rabbits and gave the rabbits time to get to know them.

I'm not going to share who they got because that's Just Jack's story toshare. But I will say that there are some lucky bunnies in amansion tonight!

The ones I brought home were like, "We made the trip for nothing?"....(just kidding)...

Peg

I will be updating soon! Maybe startour own bunny blog :D but I'm going to wait till I finishgetting the digital photos resized and cropped.

ok, I've finished uploading. I think for here I'll just post a quick pic of each of the bunnies.

oh yeah, how many bunnies do we have now?

FOUR!:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

We just could not narrow down our choices to fewer than 4:lol: I almost wanted to take both chestnuts (would have been5) as they both really seemed like they wanted me to take them home.

So here they are... our 4 little monsters:colors:

IMAG0033.jpg

No suprise that we did pick her. We loved her the moment we laid eyes on her.
We have decided to name her Ella!:bunnydance:

IMAG0030.jpg

We love her with he little nipped ear and all! We had already picked out.
She is Calabacita (Lil Pumpkin) or Cala for short! :bunnydance:

IMAG0050.jpg

I hadn't seen her before today but she blew me away. She isso beautiful. Her dark black mane is just lovely and she isso outgoing and curious. We haven't yet figured out what toname her but we'll make sure it will be worthy of her.:bunnydance:

IMAG0051.jpg

Last but certainly not least is this cute lil girl here. Shewas one of the two chestnuts who just voluntarily jumped up to cuddlein my lap when we first met. How could I resist someone sooutgoing and friendly! Again we will have to find a nameworthy of this lil lover bun.:bunnydance:

Poor ladies weren't too happy with getting their premiere photos takenlike this. Playing in the grass had gotten them alreadypretty messy. Then they spill the bowl of water on the wayhome and just get their fur all messy and dirty looking.We'll have to get them all nice and pretty tomorrow and take morephotos.

Now to see if I have the energy to start a new bunny blog!

Just Jack wrote:
We just could not narrow down our choices to fewer than 4:lol: I almost wanted to take both chestnuts (would have been5) as they both really seemed like they wanted me to take them home.

I really thought for a bit that you were going to take both chestnutsand I knew it was hard to decide between that and taking the blackone. I don't know if i should tell you - but the otherchestnut sulked once she got home and she sat in the carrier and lookedat me for a bit and refused to get out.

However, she's now sitting outside of a buck's cage and flirting withhim and stealing his hay. I've got to say - in a way, I wasalmost glad you didn't take her because as I told Robin - she wasalmost one of my picks...

I don't care about the girls getting grass all over them and then water spilled on them...to me - they'll always be beautiful!

Peg

While my mind is on it - and I'm in a talkative mood - I thought I'd tell you a little story about the chestnut doe's mother.

First of all - three of the rabbits you got from us - we got theirmothers FREE from a breeder going out of the business. Theblue doe's mama is named Delta and she lost her first two litters - butshe did an awesome job with this litter and we know she's gonna be agreat mama. The orange doe's mama is named Stella and she hashad three litters for us now. Two litters of six each - andshe just proved that our little Pelee' can breed and gave us fivetorts! She has an awesome mane to this day.

But the chestnut's mama....is really something else. She isone of the uglier lionheads I've ever seen but she produces the mostbeautiful babies. Her name is Matilda.

When we had our problem with feed last fall - Matilda had a litter with8 babies in them and she was nursing them. For some reason -she was able to have her milk come in. Other mamas - were nothaving their milk come in...

So I think that it was for 3 days....she would nurse her 8 babies, andthen 8 hours later she would nurse another set of 8 babies - and 8hours later - she would nurse yet another 8 babies for us.

That is right - for three days - she nursed 24 babies and kept themalive until their mamas recovered from our food problem and we couldget does with milk.

With her last litter - she also pulled so much fur - that she exposedall of her nipples - even the ones way up by her front legs.When she would sit up, it looked like she needed undergarments therefor support.

But perhaps one of the funniest things about her - is that she is on a2nd level cage. When I go out in the rabbitry in the a.m.- Iopen her door and let her jump out. Whenever she wants - shejumps back in her cage - and if I need her to get in her cage I'll justtell her she needs to go back and she'll go jump in - sometimes with abit of encouragement.

When she hears the food - she jumps in her cage by herself and then I lock her in for the night....

BTW - I think your black doe is from Lava. Both of my kidssay she looks like Lava's and I tend to agree....I'll look up herbirthday later.

So - that is the story of some of your babies' moms.....

Peg

:laugh:They are so silly looking withtheir little messy faces! It looks like they're saying "Hey Dad, wetried to have a abth to clean ourselves off but no.. it didn't work!"Silly little munchkins :brat:

I bought a baby brush to use for my little lionhead and it works prettywell. The bristles are so soft and she sits there with her eyes closedwhile I'm giving her a hair-do. (Her fav so far is the bo-hawk!)

Ok correct me if I've got this wrong, so the little black one who's inthe main picture is Ella and the orange one is named Cala? And you neednames for the black one, and the black and light coloured one?

Hmm for the black and light coloured one what about Bailey? That's the only name I can think of when I lok at her :D

They are so much fun! :lol: We letthem out to play today. The black one was the first to comeout. She just went over the whole place checking everythingout. Second was the chestnut followed by Ella. Calareally took her time coming out to play.

They seem to be warming up to the place quite nicely :D Thechestnut was the first to start binkying and really running around thewhole place. The black one was the scond to binky all overthe place. Calabacita also did a half-binky at onepoint. Ella hasn't binkied but she seems to enjoy us pettingand grooming her.:bunnydance:

One really cute things that the black one does is when she's lookingout from behind one of the couches and I crawl up to her.When I get about two feet away she'll come bounding out and bump& nuzzle noses with me.

The chesnut is just so crazy. Elsa is saying we might startcalling her Phoebe (Pheebs for shorts) after the funny crazy PheobeBuffay character of Friends.

Sorry we haven't started the whole bunny blog yet. We've beenspending all this time playing with the bunnies and now I have a wholenew set of photos to resize, crop, & upload.:thud

Any regrets about getting four instead of two? Finding a favorite yet?

I love hearing about the girls - I have tears in my eyes at hearing how well they're doing at settling in w/ y'all.

Peg

oh we have absolutely no regrets :lol:we've been enjoying watching them run around the apartment together ina lil pack.

It's still hard to pick a favorite. The chestnut is so funny,crazy, and energetic we just love watching her sprint all over theplace, then flop down and jump right back up again and sprint all overthe place. The black one is so curious and sweet.She also likes to be petted a little bit. Ella is the cuddlerand we love her for that. She also recently jumped out fromthe top of the cage all the way down to the floor when I had my backedturned. I didn't think they could escape from that height atthis point. :lol: Cala is making us really work for herlove. She doesn't seemed interested in being petted quiteyet. She'll allow a little forehead rub and picking a fewbits of grass from her fur. She really doesn't like beingpicked up and it was quite a struggle to get her back in the cage.

I had a couple of quick questions. I got concerned over howmuch water they were drinking cause I filled up an enitre 32oz waterbottle and in the course of 12 hours the water level hadn't droppedmuch. I checked it and it seemed like water wasn't reallycoming out. At that point I first put water into the littledish I had and each bunny had a turn at it drinking quite heavily outof there (had to refill that small lil dish severaltimes). I examined the spout on the water bottle,made sure there wasn't anything in there and put it back in thecage. They continue to go up to it and drink from it and nowI see air bubbles when they drink. Still the water leveldoesn't drain as quickly out of there as it does out of the littlebowl. I'm kind of concerned as to whether this bottle isworking right and what should I be seeing.

Also I just wanted to check and make sure that these were cecotropes.

Those look like normal fecals to me, not cecotropes. They should be eating their cecotropes before you see them.

They may be having trouble with your water bottle. Try giving them a bowl for now.

Sounds like you're having a great time with them! If you'rehaving trouble getting them all back in the cage, make a point offeeding them when they go back in and call them while you dothat. They usually don't mind going back if they know they'regetting food!:)

ok, I thought they were cecotropes because theywere kind of slimy but I guess maybe that is because I picked them upwhen they were fresh.

I got them out again for a little evening playtime. They'vebeen running around and pooping all over the place. Theyalready seem litter trained in that I haven't found any signs of urineexcept for in the litte box. I'll see about putting some foodin their cage to entice them before we close them up for the night.

It was really cute earlier as the black one was jumping and binkyingall around Elsa and then settled down near her to bepetted.:bunnydance: I had not expected them to warm up to usso quickly!

The droppings you showed are the normal wasteones. The droppings you were talking aobut are usually eaten straightfrom the source right away. But if you do see them they look like ablack cluster of tiny bead looking things that smells really bad!

The water bottle if you aren't getting when you put the back of yourhand to it at least a rain drop sized amount of water then have thebowl in. I would also put the bowl and the water bottle in just incase.

Sounds like everyones being silly! It'snormal for rabbits tobe naughty when they know they are going back in their cage. Pebblesalways runs under my dresser when she sees me coming with my hands lol!She senses her freedom is coming to an end for now, so it's just fine!Just give her extra cuddles and she'll be fine and dandy!

:bunnydance:Sounds like we've just had two morebunnyloving people! Woohoo!Only wish more peoplecould realize how fun buns are! :)

Just Jack wrote:
I had a couple of quick questions. I got concerned over howmuch water they were drinking cause I filled up an enitre 32oz waterbottle and in the course of 12 hours the water level hadn't droppedmuch. I checked it and it seemed like water wasn't reallycoming out. At that point I first put water into the littledish I had and each bunny had a turn at it drinking quite heavily outof there (had to refill that small lil dish severaltimes). I examined the spout on the water bottle,made sure there wasn't anything in there and put it back in thecage. They continue to go up to it and drink from it and nowI see air bubbles when they drink. Still the water leveldoesn't drain as quickly out of there as it does out of the littlebowl. I'm kind of concerned as to whether this bottle isworking right and what should I be seeing.
They are used to both a water bottle and a dish of water as they likedto hop the barrier and go drink from the dog's watering bottlething. So some may prefer a bowl while others prefer thebottle...

Peg

Latest posts

Back