New Rabbit Owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes to stuffed bunny! When I first brought Ruby home and she warmed up and ventured out of her walker, she walked around her pen and sniffed everything, and when she got to her Peter Rabbit she knocked him over and started grooming him. Almost 2 weeks later now and she usually sleeps with him and still grooms him several times a day. IMG_160357405926F~2.jpg

get either an xpen or a cage as i see you're getting mixed responses, whatever works best for your situation, the cages i linked and the one you're looking at will work fine as long as the rabbit gets playtime, but an xpen will work just as well

So after some deliberation, I have bought mostly everything I need for my baby girl when I pick her up next week!

My family and I thought that considering I have carpeted flooring, a play pen would be a bit messy so we decided on a cage instead.

Though Hazel will be getting 24/7 exercise out of her cage while I am home we just needed to make sure she wouldn't be able to get into any trouble if we were to leave for the day.

In short, below is a picture of her setup thus far and I just cannot wait to pick her up next week! ☺️
IMG_0333.JPG
(Dimensions of cage: 49 inches (L) * 27 inches (W) * 21 inches (H)

So after some deliberation, I have bought mostly everything I need for my baby girl when I pick her up next week!

My family and I thought that considering I have carpeted flooring, a play pen would be a bit messy so we decided on a cage instead.

Though Hazel will be getting 24/7 exercise out of her cage while I am home we just needed to make sure she wouldn't be able to get into any trouble if we were to leave for the day.

In short, below is a picture of her setup thus far and I just cannot wait to pick her up next week! ☺
View attachment 51217
(Dimensions of cage: 49 inches (L) * 27 inches (W) * 21 inches (H)
great! i would recommend a larger litter box (like a cat one) as it's easier for the bunnies to fit inside and fit hay in
are you using both a water bottle and bowl, if not i would add a bowl
also cat toys are great but i would also suggest some wooden and cardboard ones!

great! i would recommend a larger litter box (like a cat one) as it's easier for the bunnies to fit inside and fit hay in
are you using both a water bottle and bowl, if not i would add a bowl
also cat toys are great but i would also suggest some wooden and cardboard ones!

The picture for the litter box is very misleading, the litter box's dimensions is 2.25 (L) * 3.25 (W) * 13.62 (H) but if that still seems small, I could definitely get a bigger one. I just got this one for right now cause she is still a baby and pretty small, though I know they grow within a couple of months it's just a beginner for me and her.

The water bottle came with the cage and have been told it doesn't really work as good but can be used. Along with the bottle I have a water bowl (the purple bowl at the top right of the cage) and its dimensions are 6.73 (L) * 5.98 (W) * 2.8 (H); and holds 7.3 ounces. Want to make sure she has as much water as possible.

I also have a food bowl that not only can she chew up on its own but she can eat out of it as well. And along with it 2 hay containers, one came with the cage (the grey thing to the left) and one that can hang on the side of the cage.

They haven't arrived yet but I have ordered some small wooden/ twine balls that should be coming soon. Plus these woven grass mats that are a lot bigger than I thought 😂.

The picture for the litter box is very misleading, the litter box's dimensions is 2.25 (L) * 3.25 (W) * 13.62 (H) but if that still seems small, I could definitely get a bigger one. I just got this one for right now cause she is still a baby and pretty small, though I know they grow within a couple of months it's just a beginner for me and her.

The water bottle came with the cage and have been told it doesn't really work as good but can be used. Along with the bottle I have a water bowl (the purple bowl at the top right of the cage) and its dimensions are 6.73 (L) * 5.98 (W) * 2.8 (H); and holds 7.3 ounces. Want to make sure she has as much water as possible.

I also have a food bowl that not only can she chew up on its own but she can eat out of it as well. And along with it 2 hay containers, one came with the cage (the grey thing to the left) and one that can hang on the side of the cage.

They haven't arrived yet but I have ordered some small wooden/ twine balls that should be coming soon. Plus these woven grass mats that are a lot bigger than I thought 😂.
it's a bit small but since she's a baby it'll be fine till she's a litter bigger
everything else sounds good tho! nice job!

it's a bit small but since she's a baby it'll be fine till she's a litter bigger
everything else sounds good tho! nice job!

Right I knew it would be, I don't mind getting bigger versions of them I just didn't want to have to get a bigger cage. Just thought getting a bigger cage from the start would save me time.

And thank you! I did a lot of research and now I can't wait to learn more than I read! 😊.

That looks great! I do think the litter box is a little small, but it should work for now. Heads up, she might not use the litter box since it is so small so be prepared for anything. That water bowl is perfect, and so is the food bowl. I love how you got her grass mats and woven balls (those are Theo's favorites). The hay rack is very tiny, so you will probably have to refill it a couple of times a day. How long do you expect it to be before she can free-roam?
Make sure you send pictures of her when you get her!

That looks great! I do think the litter box is a little small, but it should work for now. Heads up, she might not use the litter box since it is so small so be prepared for anything. That water bowl is perfect, and so is the food bowl. I love how you got her grass mats and woven balls (those are Theo's favorites). The hay rack is very tiny, so you will probably have to refill it a couple of times a day. How long do you expect it to be before she can free-roam?
Make sure you send pictures of her when you get her!

Thank you! And yeah I plan to have some pee pads in her cage just incase she chooses not to use the litter box for right now.

And I plan to allow her to free roam as soon as she gets back to my house, want to make sure she feels comfortable enough around my room and around me as soon as possible.

I do not recommend free-roaming right when you get her home because it will be harder to litter train. Once she has good litter habits, then you can slowly expand her space. The free-roaming idea is amazing though!

I do not recommend free-roaming right when you get her home because it will be harder to litter train. Once she has good litter habits, then you can slowly expand her space. The free-roaming idea is amazing though!

Oh, so then should I instead leave her in her cage during the day?

Or should I bring her outside on a harness (so I can get her used to them) so she can exercise just not in my room incase she doesn't go to the bathroom in the litter box?

Until she is litter trained she needs to stay in her cage, I wouldn't let her out even on the harness. Expanding the space will just confuse her on where to use the bathroom.

Until she is litter trained she needs to stay in her cage, I wouldn't let her out even on the harness. Expanding the space will just confuse her on where to use the bathroom.

Oh alright, that's a little unfortunate but it makes sense. I know all rabbits are different but by any chance would be able to estimate for me how long it would take her to use the litter box?

For Theo, it only took one day, but for most rabbits it takes around a week.

Alright, well I know taking her away from her family next week is going to be stressful and all but if I want to play or hold her so she can get used to me should I only do it when she's in her cage so she can get used to the litter box?

I would let her out of her cage for about an hour each day so y'all can bond, but if she pees at all while she is out of her cage soak it up with a paper towel, put the wet towel in the litter box, and clean the spot with distilled white vinegar so she doesn't go there again. If she scatters poops around, that doesn't matter, it is the pee that matters when litter training. When bonding with your rabbit let her come to you. Hide a treat in your pocket and lay on the ground so she can search you for the treat. You don't need to hold her for quite some time. Rabbits do not like being held because they are prey animals and like having their feet firmly on the ground.

I would let her out of her cage for about an hour each day so y'all can bond, but if she pees at all while she is out of her cage soak it up with a paper towel, put the wet towel in the litter box, and clean the spot with distilled white vinegar so she doesn't go there again. If she scatters poops around, that doesn't matter, it is the pee that matters when litter training. When bonding with your rabbit let her come to you. Hide a treat in your pocket and lay on the ground so she can search you for the treat. You don't need to hold her for quite some time. Rabbits do not like being held because they are prey animals and like having their feet firmly on the ground.

Okiedokie, that helps a lot thank you! :)

Is the rabbit you are getting already fixed? If so, she should take to a litter box almost immediately provided you have a good setup. Based on what you are showing in the photos, the following would be my suggestions....
1. remove the water bottle (it's hanging too low anyway) and just use the bowl. The bowl you have is a bit small -- half the size I'd suggest.. I would suggest getting a 20 oz capacity bowl.

2. Do not use puppy pads in the bottom of the cage while litter training. Any place soft is where they like to potty. So during training, the only "soft" place should be the litter box.

3. I agree that the litter box is too small. Corner ones just make litter training more difficult. If you want to litter train in the easiest way, get a larger rectangular or square box. Any plastic box will do. It doesn't have to be an "official" litter box. Check here for proper litter box setup:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
4. The hay should go on top of your litter inside the litter box for easiest litter training. You'll add fresh hay on top a couple times per day. The hay racks that come with those cages are pretty useless as the primary way to feed hay. They are ok for nibbles of hay.

5. Free roaming. The others are correct who said that it isn't wise to allow free roam right away. That often results in potty accidents that are very difficult to un-train! The first 48 hours, bunny should be left completely undisturbed in her cage. You can talk to her, but no reaching into the cage to touch her or pet her. Two important links here: one for what to do the day you bring bunny home and the other on how to free-roam.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-your-rabbit-home.htmlhttps://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/free-roaming-how-to.html
5. Toys. The woven grass mat is a great option! The smaller plastic cat balls tend to be very thin plastic. Bunny may chew and ingest the plastic :( Any plastic toys should be real thick plastic. So I wouldn't use the thin plastic balls. The cylinder-shaped ones may be thicker. The cat wand is a no-no. The string and feathers are both dangerous for bunnies. Don't use it. This also applies to the the string and ball attached to the tunnel. Cut that off. Don't use any of the toys with feathers. There also appears to be a crinkly foil type ball -- avoid that.

6. I'd still suggest getting an exercise pen. This is most helpful during bonding time. It's also helpful when you want bunny to have some exercise but can't watch her closely. You'll also need an ex-pen when you begin to free-roam because free-roaming needs to be done in stages (as the link above explains). When you begin to bond with her (after that 48 hours!), it is very important that you do not reach into the cage and pull her out. You'll use the exercise pen to create a space around her cage and open the cage door. Then you may sit inside the exercise pen and wait for her to come out if and when she feels ready. You can read more detail on this here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
7. As for exercise, rabbits exercise (binky and dash about) in areas they are comfortable. That's best done in the safety of indoors. Outside can be scary and intimidating for many (not all) rabbits. I would not be taking any new rabbit outside until you've had them for months and are fully bonded with them. Then, if they do go out, it's best in a run or enclosed pen. Harnesses can be quite dangerous and pose many risks. But most important, right now the House Rabbit Society is saying to not let any rabbit outdoors because of the outbreak of RHVD2 in the US. There's a separate link on this forum about that.

Last edited:
Back