New Rabbit Owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use xl dog crate for ours. He is free roam but that's his home base. He's a flemish giant and there is plenty of room. Not for him to live in it but his litter box. Food. Water etc. And for him to lounge.

Oh okay, yeah I've been looking into play pens that are all wire and not too big because I do plan on allowing the bunny to roam my big bedroom until I get she/he affiliated with my 2 dogs and cat and then I would plan to bring them downstairs to my 2 story house.

Thank you for the advice! :)

Does your giant escape it? That's something I was worried about haha, I plan to find a Holland Lop so maybe the cage would be a bit too big? I'm not sure.
The dog crates that are XL have a decent size floor but the gap between the bars may be too large for a dwarf rabbit. They could possibly get their head stuck between the bars. Most ex-pens don't have such large gaps and may work better. The white "ferret" pens have even smaller gaps and fewer horizontal bars making them good for smaller rabbits.

The dog crates that are XL have a decent size floor but the gap between the bars may be too large for a dwarf rabbit. They could possibly get their head stuck between the bars. Most ex-pens don't have such large gaps and may work better. The white "ferret" pens have even smaller gaps and fewer horizontal bars making them good for smaller rabbits.

Gotcha, I'll look into that, thank you!! :)

Okay that makes sense, I think leaving the rabbit alone would be my main concern but I know that I'd figure it out in time.

Sorry for all the questions I am just very curious and like to know basically everything before I commit to something haha. But I do have 2 other questions.

The first one is about the odor when it comes to their cage, I remember we had a pet rabbit previously but I was very young at the time and do not remember much besides the smell. I have read that in order to keep the odor under control you just have to be consistent with cleaning their litter, now I'm sure that's not all and I was wondering what else would work?

I plan to keep the rabbit's cage in my room and my mom is sort of allergic to the hay and we were also concerned with the litter box smelling up my whole room most of the time while also breathing it in as I am sleeping.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other question was about the cage itself, I have looked all over the internet to find the best cage considering my situation which I have described previously and was wondering if this cage would work (The blue tape is how big it would be on the floor, not including height)? The one I have been looking at is the XL Rabbit Cage.

Plus, if that cage does work, I was planning on keeping it next to my heater as seen in the picture below. Now I was concerned with how hot everything would get and what the basic temperature the rabbit needs to stay at in order for it to live properly indoors. Based on the picture below do you think I should change the location because of the heater or would it be fine for now?

View attachment 51185
Hi. I think the cage in your link is fine but placing it near heater is not a good idea. Please find place elsewhere, but not where it is drafty.
If as you say you want your rabbit to be free roaming you will need to rabbit-proof your bedroom hide all cables and everything what rabbits can chew on or what can be dangerous. The curtains next to cage will get chewed most likely, well it depends on your rabbit, some of them are not chewers at all but you never know.
The carpeting, if you worry about it you can just get an extra low-pile rug to put on top, just look for one that are easy to clean like for kids room, also hay won't stuck in it, and make sure it is a bit bigger than your playpen if you will want to attach to your cage so your rabbit had time out if the cage before s/he becomes free roaming. Because ends of the rug are also under risk of chewing.

For going on a day trip it is perfectly fine to leave your rabbit alone for a day, provided they have hay and water, if you are going to be away for a couple days it is also possible but you will need to prepare well everything, also if somebody can come once a day and check on them, maybe add hay/water etc, it's fine as well. Rabbits need exercise a few hours off cage every day but if you skip one or two days it's no drama. This cage as far as I know is 160cm long and (depending on size of your rabbit of course) would be enough for a small or medium sized rabbit or two mini sized, no problem. You want to toilet train your rabbit if you want to keep the smell under control, then you can use just that extension part for his toilet you fill it with wood pellets and hay on top, and the rest of the cage will have bare floor for the time when he is in training for toilet, because rabbits like peeing on soft and generally would avoid peeing on hard floor (not all rabbits but generally). After he knows his toilet well you can cover the rest of his cage with blankets or hay or small rugs to make it softer for his feet and not so slippery as well, because rabbits don't have pads, their feet are fluffy and plastic floor is very slippery. I use wicker placemats sometimes, or something what is safe if they decide to chew on it.

Generally, don't panic, it's not rocket science and it is great that you do your research before getting a rabbit but it won't go all by the book, you will have to learn on the go as well and make changes as they needed. All rabbits are different, some will need a large toilet, others will be happy with a small one etc. The hay feeder in your link is fine just place it lower.

Last edited:
if you can only get one i would try looking at shelters for bunnies who cannot be bonded (some bunnies have trauma and can't be bonded bc of past experience). if the bunny is going to be free roam 24/7 i wouldn't get a cage at all to save money but if they will be locked in sometimes the cage you're looking at meets HRS minimum so it should be fine. just make sure you have a bowl along with the bottle (if you even chose to use the bottle) and keep hay in the litter box instead of that small hay rack (you could use the rack for treat hay). orchard grass is typically better for ppl with hay allergies so maybe see how your mom reacts to that. i could link some other cages as well if you would like but i need to know what your budget is and what's the max cage space you can provide?

Hi. I think the cage in your link is fine but placing it near heater is not a good idea. Please find place elsewhere, but not where it is drafty.
If as you say you want your rabbit to be free roaming you will need to rabbit-proof your bedroom hide all cables and everything what rabbits can chew on or what can be dangerous. The curtains next to cage will get chewed most likely, well it depends on your rabbit, some of them are not chewers at all but you never know.
The carpeting, if you worry about it you can just get an extra low-pile rug to put on top, just look for one that are easy to clean like for kids room, also hay won't stuck in it, and make sure it is a bit bigger than your playpen if you will want to attach to your cage so your rabbit had time out if the cage before s/he becomes free roaming. Because ends of the rug are also under risk of chewing.

For going on a day trip it is perfectly fine to leave your rabbit alone for a day, provided they have hay and water, if you are going to be away for a couple days it is also possible but you will need to prepare well everything, also if somebody can come once a day and check on them, maybe add hay/water etc, it's fine as well. Rabbits need exercise a few hours off cage every day but if you skip one or two days it's no drama. This cage as far as I know is 160cm long and (depending on size of your rabbit of course) would be enough for a small or medium sized rabbit or two mini sized, no problem. You want to toilet train your rabbit if you want to keep the smell under control, then you can use just that extension part for his toilet you fill it with wood pellets and hay on top, and the rest of the cage will have bare floor for the time when he is in training for toilet, because rabbits like peeing on soft and generally would avoid peeing on hard floor (not all rabbits but generally). After he knows his toilet well you can cover the rest of his cage with blankets or hay or small rugs to make it softer for his feet and not so slippery as well, because rabbits don't have pads, their feet are fluffy and plastic floor is very slippery. I use wicker placemats sometimes, or something what is safe if they decide to chew on it.

Generally, don't panic, it's not rocket science and it is great that you do your research before getting a rabbit but it won't go all by the book, you will have to learn on the go as well and make changes as they needed. All rabbits are different, some will need a large toilet, others will be happy with a small one etc. The hay feeder in your link is fine just place it lower.

Oh wow, thank you so much for the advice!! :)

if you can only get one i would try looking at shelters for bunnies who cannot be bonded (some bunnies have trauma and can't be bonded bc of past experience). if the bunny is going to be free roam 24/7 i wouldn't get a cage at all to save money but if they will be locked in sometimes the cage you're looking at meets HRS minimum so it should be fine. just make sure you have a bowl along with the bottle (if you even chose to use the bottle) and keep hay in the litter box instead of that small hay rack (you could use the rack for treat hay). orchard grass is typically better for ppl with hay allergies so maybe see how your mom reacts to that. i could link some other cages as well if you would like but i need to know what your budget is and what's the max cage space you can provide?

That would be amazing thank you! If possible I think I'm looking more towards the range between $25 - $115 ?? I don't know the cages are pretty expensive. At least the ones I've seen so far haha.

That would be amazing thank you! If possible I think I'm looking more towards the range between $25 - $115 ?? I don't know the cages are pretty expensive. At least the ones I've seen so far haha.
x-pens are gonna be your cheapest option-
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/animaze-adjustable-exercise-black-pen-for-dogs
IRIS 4-Panel Plastic Exercise Dog Playpen with Door, Dark Gray, 24-in - Chewy.com (you would need the mesh roof for this one as well)

other options-
dog crate xxl https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/animaze-2-door-folding-dog-crate

rabbit cages
https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-First-Home-Giant-Habitat/dp/B008MZML4S
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Small-Animal-Habitat-Jumbo/dp/B0756GBCJ1
https://www.amazon.com/PawHut-Wooden-Bunny-Rabbit-Outdoor/dp/B00AWVJ904hope this helps if you want to look at other options!

I really do not suggest getting a cage (no matter how cheap it is) because it is going to be too small no matter what. When you start free-roaming you won't even need the cage anymore (unless you use the cage base as a litter box) so you would have just wasted all that money.
If you got a playpen instead of a cage, you would spend less money, once you free-roam and you don't need the pen for housing you can use it for bunny proofing (blocking off furniture or a room), and it is always helpful to have a playpen when going on trips or when bonding rabbits. Playpens are also great for litter training. If you suddenly gave a rabbit a whole room it will sometimes mess up its litter habits, so if you gradually give them space towards free-roaming their litter habits will not get crazy.

I really do not suggest getting a cage (no matter how cheap it is) because it is going to be too small no matter what. When you start free-roaming you won't even need the cage anymore (unless you use the cage base as a litter box) so you would have just wasted all that money.
If you got a playpen instead of a cage, you would spend less money, once you free-roam and you don't need the pen for housing you can use it for bunny proofing (blocking off furniture or a room), and it is always helpful to have a playpen when going on trips or when bonding rabbits. Playpens are also great for litter training. If you suddenly gave a rabbit a whole room it will sometimes mess up its litter habits, so if you gradually give them space towards free-roaming their litter habits will not get crazy.

Okay that makes sense, I have made space for a cage originally in my bedroom and I was going to let her free roam 24/7 with me. But I can see how a play pen would be better, so I think I'll get a play pen instead of a cage for when I leave for the day (if I need to) and for when I go to bed and I can't watch her.

The only reason why I thought a cage was going to be better was because not only do I have carpeted flooring but I will be going on day trips so I just wanted to make sure she was going to stay out of trouble.

But the play pens are bigger so I will look into more play pens rather than cages. Thank you!! 😊

Another general question, since I am getting an 8 week old baby soon, I have seen in videos and on social media that rabbits like bunny stuffed animals.

Would getting one for my baby be good for her? Because I am taking her away from her family and I know it is going to be stressful and sad so I was just thinking about getting her one so she may not feel less alone even though I am always going to be with her.

I know this is a bit of a weird question 😂 but I just thought it would help with her emotional state once I bring her home?

It is a great idea to get a stuffed animal for your rabbit, even when the rabbit is older. Theo loves his stuffed bear so much and cuddles with it all the time!

Okay that makes sense, I have made space for a cage originally in my bedroom and I was going to let her free roam 24/7 with me. But I can see how a play pen would be better, so I think I'll get a play pen instead of a cage for when I leave for the day (if I need to) and for when I go to bed and I can't watch her.

The only reason why I thought a cage was going to be better was because not only do I have carpeted flooring but I will be going on day trips so I just wanted to make sure she was going to stay out of trouble.

But the play pens are bigger so I will look into more play pens rather than cages. Thank you!! 😊
I would get a cage for the start, it will be handy for all the training purposes and since you will go away sometimes cage is better than a playpen because rabbits can jump really high and you want to be sure she is in her safe space when you are away.
She can use it as her homebase after with opened front panel or you can sell it if you feel you don't need it anymore.
As I see you are getting 8 week old girl, it will involve some training especially before she is neutered and healed so say until she is 6-7 months at least.

All rabbits are different, you know nothing about her character at the moment and also it can change when she hits puberty, so I would definitely stay on the safe side until you get to know each other and can trust each other.

It is always easier to expand territory than restrict because they understand limiting their territory as a punishment. Always start small, especially with 8 week old baby girl, I wouldn't start from free-roaming her, she will become hormonal in 4-8 week time and you will have to limit her anyways (very possibly)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back