NEW MEMBERS (Feb. 2006 - Jan. 2007) CLOSED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Yes, both of his ears are down! Let me see if I have a better picture of him so you can see! :)

We are bringing him to the vet soon just to have him checked over since we bought him from a pet store and not a breeder, and while I am there I will ask the vet to check his age. I also want to double check that he really IS a he! hehe :)

We also want to buy Jack a girlfriend, and we are deciding if we should have him altered (we don't think he is, the lady at the store didn't know) or if we should let them have babies? I don't know what is recommended for bunnies and how well they tolerate surgery. But I will ask that in a topic where more people will see :)

This is the closest pic I have to showing both ears

Hi, Mybabyjack! Welcome to the forum!

As long as you have a decent rabbit savvy vet (not all vets are), neuters and spays are easy operations. Neuters especially, as there is only a tiny incision in the skin and no muscle is cut. Most rabbits do very well with the surgery. From what I've seen the biggest danger is with rabbits that have heart defects or kidney or liver problems. Kidney and liver problems can be tested for with a routine blood test, which my vet recommends doing before all surgeries.

I wouldn't recommend breeding unless you want to get into breeding and showing pedigreed purebreds.

Have you thought about adopting a girlfriend for Jack? Many shelters have rabbits, and spay them before they adopt them out. Spayed/neutered rabbits at my local shelter cost $25 to adopt, while paying for a spay around here costs about $100. It's also much easier to tell if rabbits actually like each other and can be bonded if they've been neutered and their hormones have decreased.

Thanks for the advice about the vet! A nurse I work with used to be a vet assistant before she became an RN so I'm going to ask her to recommend me to one tomorrow :)
I don't plan on breeding since he isn't purebred (well, he could be but I wouldn't know lol) and if his girlfriend and him ever had babies I would just give them away for free ;) I was just debating the whole "surgery no surgery" thing and I know that males don't make good companions so a female is best for him.

I definitely am going to adopt a buddy for him next. We were thinking of going to the SPCA unless I can find a bunny rescue in the area but I'm not sure how to locate one. I will look when I come home from school tonight :) ...unless my boyfriend beats me to it! He's so in love with Jack already and feels bad that he's lonely and wants to get him a girlfriend asap! lol But, I think we need to make sure she's fixed or older incase they like each other TOO much because I'm sure it's not good for them to have babies too young (like dogs) and they might beat us to it before I can get them to the vet. Right? Or wrong? lol

Hi All and welcome! :kiss:

I applaud anyone who is willing to rescue a bunny. Check out the "Rescue Me" section of the forum!

And you can go to petfinder.org to find rabbits up for adoption in your area!

I just went and looked at the area here for rabbits that need to be rescued and oh how I wish there were some in my area!!! :( I did find some in northern VA and I might be able to talk my boyfriend into driving up that way--- some of the ones I found are special needs bunnies and I would love to adopt one of those especially! :) I think we need to take some more time and bond with Jack more but soon we'll get him a girlfriend :)

Pipp wrote:
We (me and my bunny) love hearing about seniorbunnies! 14 is a great age. :) We were on another forum with a healthy 17-year-old, but now I can't remember which forum. :sigh

Maybe somebunny should start a 'seven up' thread,like a retirement club. :)

I want to add to the "welcome aboard", and also to say I think the "seven up" thread is a GREAT idea. A lot of people think rabbits are "disposable pets" that aren't supposed to live too long, but we are seeing more senior bunsliving long happy and active lives. It would be great to have a thread to discuss the specific issues of living with older buns. Emma, Toby looks healthy and active, so he'd be a great poster boy. My older bunch has all passed away, but I had one around Toby's age. Five is my oldest right now, and the youngest is two. Time flies!

I love how many great new members have been joining, and look forward to getting toknow you all. I get a bit behind sometimes when life gets busy, but I want you all to know you're very very welcome. Make yourselves at home!

Rose

Hi guys! My name is Rosie, and I just brought home my first baby bunny (six weeks old) on Thursday the 16th of Feb. Her name so far is Bunny (I would have thought of something more creative, but she started responding to that right away, so she seems to prefer it). We're not sure yet whether Bunny is male or female, but I suspect male (though honestly I'm not sure why...lol).

I am a first-time bunny owner, and have owned mostly cats for the past 15 years (over 20 cats in all) and at one time had also owned gerbils. I've noticed in Bunny a pretty good meshing of both cat and gerbil behaviour and tendencies, which was a funny surprise.

You'll see me posting quite a lot of topics on here, as I'm basically clueless at this. I have to give myself SOME credit, though, both for finding this site, and for finding the House Rabbit Society's site (which both have great information to help).

So far things with Bunny are going GREAT!! I'm so IN LOVE!! I don't know why I waited all these years to bring one home! She's VERY social, loving, curious, funny, and so sweet! She's already about 90% litter trained since I brought her home (well, with her pee, anyway...poop we have yet to train her on, but I suspect that's a rodent thing in general), and comes to her name being called. She's a very well-behaved little bunny...already knows the word "no", and gets outta there when she's doing something not-so-great, and we notice. Lol...watching her race around the floor is such a joy!!

She seems to be a digger, so we're working on finding some type of tunnel-type thing she can dig to her heart's content in. (Anyone have any ideas?)

Anyway, there you go! I also belong to the cat site, and based on my experience with them, decided to search out a bunny site, so here I am!

Thanks for being here...:)

P.S. One more thing...It's been funny to learn how opinionated my Bunny is. She is the one that ultimately decides whether or not something will reside (toys and such) in her cage or not. I always come home to things on the floor that she decided she didn't want with her. I also found it great how she redecorates her cage each day, and if you put something out of place, she moves it. Lol...what a character!

Here is a picture I found online that is mostly what she looks like...

Hi Maherwoman!

For a digging toy, you can give Bunny a box with shredded paper or hay. I've heard sandboxes are good, but only in an outdoor run.:D My rabbits like having a box with two exit/entry holes cut in it and newspaper and such stuffed inside. Others like having the top of the box off with one side cut so they can get in it.

Congratulations on your intro to being a bunny slave! It sounds like she's training you well.:)

Welcome maherwoman! I just joined the site too :) I am also a new bunny owner and got my bunny, Jack, on Sunday! I am also totally in love! I play with him all the time and anytime and pass the cage I can't resist the urge to pop in and talk to him!!
Unfortunately I live in an apartment so I can't let him loose all the time, but we give him running time every night (so far) for an hour at least and hopefully we will be able to give him more :)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this website! Everyone has been so helpful to me! I have a ton of questions about every little think Jack does (he's 6 months old so we got him with habits we have to get used to) and always get answers :)

Enjoy!

LOL...yes, she's training me well. They're so expressive, it's difficult to miss what she's communicating to me! :)

As far as the holes cut into the box, how high up should they be?

naturestee wrote:
Hi Maherwoman!

For a digging toy, you can give Bunny a box with shredded paper or hay. I've heard sandboxes are good, but only in an outdoor run.:D My rabbits like having a box with two exit/entry holes cut in it and newspaper and such stuffed inside. Others like having the top of the box off with one side cut so they can get in it.

Congratulations on your intro to being a bunny slave! It sounds like she's training you well.:)

Sounds like we're in the same boat! :)

I have to do the same, unfortunately...we also live in an apartment, so we let him/her out at least an hour a day, and sometimes twice a day, and she thanks us by doing countless binkies and running in circles over and over again because I laugh about it. She's so wonderful...but it WOULD be helpful to know if she's really female, or a male. It'll be torture having to wait another couple months before I can take her in to get her fixed to find out her gender. I've read that you can "sex" them, but I just don't have the heart...lol!

Anyway, nice to know I'm not alone in being new at this...:) Thanks for the welcome!

mybabyjack wrote:
Welcome maherwoman! I just joined the site too :) I am also a new bunny owner and got my bunny, Jack, on Sunday! I am also totally in love! I play with him all the time and anytime and pass the cage I can't resist the urge to pop in and talk to him!!
Unfortunately I live in an apartment so I can't let him loose all the time, but we give him running time every night (so far) for an hour at least and hopefully we will be able to give him more :)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this website! Everyone has been so helpful to me! I have a ton of questions about every little think Jack does (he's 6 months old so we got him with habits we have to get used to) and always get answers :)

Enjoy!

Hi Rosie!!

Welcome!!!

I'm May and i'm also a first timer!! my bunny is also only six weeks! you'll get loads of great advice here.. i was also pretty much clueless and it really helps to hear from those with experience!!! bunny's are the best thing ever!

Hi there!

i'm May and also new at this! this website is awesome i know! everyone is so willing to help out the first timers! my bunny also lives indoors and he seems happy with the running time he gets.. which is a LOT cos everyone who visits insists on playing with him!lol! He's So lovely and my boyfriend and i are completely smitten! :)

Hello everybody,
Just call me Jack. I'm getting my first pair of rabbits soon after months of researching various breeds. I've got a few (possibly less than ordinary) questions that I was hoping the nice folks around here could help me out with.

P.S. This has always been one of my favorite smilies.:bunnydance:

Hi Jack! Welcome to the forum!

I love seeing people research before they get rabbits! I hope we can help answer your questions. Out of curiosity, are you getting pets or will you be breeding?

just pets :)

Probably the main reason why we've researched proper care and characteristics of rabbits so much was because of my gf's lil siter's rabbit. Ana was given a very young bunny by her (at the time) boyfriend which we all fell in love with. Unfortunately he only lived a week for reasons beyond us. Because of that we really wanted to make sure that should we ever have a rabbit as a pet again we would want to be well versed in their care.

Back