NEW MEMBERS (Feb. 2006 - Jan. 2007) CLOSED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RO STAFF

Reaction score
Welcome to Rabbits Only!:welcome

Pleaseintroduce yourself and your rabbit(s) here!

Once you do that, feel freeto start your own 'Bunny Blog' in the Bunny Blogs Forum.

If you have any questions, please post them in the Rabbits Only Forum section (for general chat aboutrabbits), About the Forum (questions or comments about the forum),or Off Topic (if it's not rabbits or forum related).

Thank you and enjoy your stay!!

RO Staff :bouquet:

HollynRabbits wrote:
HI im Holly and i am new, :Di have one rrabbit , a mini rex, named Peanut.
Hi! Welcome to the forum! How long have you had Peanut? How old is Peanut? girl? boy? Pictures?

We love to see pictures and hear stories - so I'll be checking the bunny blog section of the forum to see if you post more.

Peg

P.S. What color is Peanut?

HollynRabbits wrote:
Oh he kinda looks like your rabbit!!!
Thanks! Tiny is actually a flemish giant and he is about 18 pounds and 13 months old. He's a neutered black buck and is nicknamed "The BunFather".

We actually "lost" him today for about an hour - I didn't realize he could hide behind a particular rose bush and I was calling him and calling him and looking all over the yard for him. He was fine...just didn't want to come in. I want to know how he managed to hide so long (Art even came home from work 'cause I was in tears). Tiny is my "baby" although I also raise lionheads and have a Holland Lop, French Lop and 2 Netherland dwarfs.

I'll try to find the thread on how to post pictures and PM you with a link to it.

And once again - welcome to the forum!

Peg

Welcome Holly!
:elephant::bunnydance::elephant::bunnydance:

HI, I am another new member. I hope this is the correct place to introduce myself.

I'm Karina, I wanted to register with my actual name but it was already taken lol, so i chose soemthing close to it.

I have a 7 month olf Flemish Giant called Joshua. I got him last August. The man who bred him told me he was a male, so i gave him a boys name, but then when I took him for a general check up at the vets, the vet told me he was definately a girl. I tried to think of a more girly name, but I just shortened it to Josh....Well my friend had three lops that she had to rehome, so i said I would have them and try to introduce Josh to them so she would have some sisters. For the first three weeks I had them, I kept them seperate from Josh because I wanted to be sure none of them were ill or had lice etc. finally, i was able to introduce them, eventually they were all living together. This was last October.

anyway, everything has been just fine all this time. On January 3 I had to go to hospital for a serious illness. I gave my house key to a friend of mine, she does not like rabbits but she said she would make sure they had food, hay water and that their litter trays were kept clean. I also told her to confine them to my study while I'm in hospitalbecause that's where they spend most of their time (I work from home) and I didn't like them to roam around the house when nobody else was there much.

I got home three days ago, I noticed that Panda (short for Pandemonium) and Miffy were spending alot of time hanging around the sofa in the study. I then noticed Panda run behind the sofa and i heard squeeking. Sure enough there are two nests of baby rabbits there. They are furred but their eyes are closed. There are 12 babies altogether. one litter is much bigger than the other so there must have been a gap between when they were born. Now I am not sure if Bandit (my other female) is pregnant or not. maybe she is the mother of them?

I feel so foolish, I am new to rabbits (since last August) and I can't sex them, so I just took my vets word for it that Josh was definately a girl. I took Josh to a different vet, They had a look and found his testicles and then had a look at his penis, they said he has a split penis? I have never heard of this.

I had him booked to be neutered, and he was done yesterday. He is home now and acting like nothing happened. I have been told he has to be kept away from girls for for weeks to make sure there is no sperm left.

I am so sorry if i make no sense. English is not my first language and I am new to the world of rabbits. I love them so much I would never intentionally breed them when I have no knowledge of breeding or raising babies. I joined a different forum but got abuse from several members for being cruel. I have not come here to be told what an awful owner I am, I am here to get help with caring for the babies and to talk about my buns.

I apologise for the very long introduction.

Hi Karina, welcome to RO:D By the way, your English is very good;)

Matt:cool:

Welcome to the forum Karina. I'm sorry - I did laugh a tiny bit at your situation even though it could've been even more serious had the girls been something smaller like Netherland Dwarfs. Just one quick question - are you sure all three girls are girls?

Also - I had been told you couldn't breed a buck w/ a split penis...that it wouldn't work...so I'm a bit surprised.

This is an awesome resource on baby bunnies:

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/bunnies.htm

Let me reassure you of two things -

a. Accidents happen....and we understand. You did the best thing by taking your buck in to be neutered and at least you know it shouldn't happen again.

b. You are VERY welcome here. You may want to visit the breeder's section of this forum to askquestions about the babies too.

The biggest thing to watch out for at this age (in my opinion only) is that when they're eyes start opening (and it doesn't take long)....that if someone doesn't have their eyes open within a day or so of the rest of the nestmates....you take a warm cloth and help them remove any crust from their eyes.

Also - be prepared- once their eyes open - life gets FUN....or at least busy.

If I'm understanding correctly - your rabbits have free roam of the house most of the time - right? If that is so - especially with the babies - be careful where you step during the night, etc. because that seems to be when the little ones might want to play. Also - be sure to bunnyproof things that the babies might want to chew on - like cords, etc - but you've probably already done that for your house anyway.

Don't feel bad about what has happened though - you've done what you could - and now we'll help you raise up those babies!

Peg

P.S. Once again - welcome!

karine wrote:
HI, I am another new member. I apologise for the very long introduction.
Hi Karine! :wave:

That was a very good introduction. Hope you are better now. What do you plan to do with the babies?

Rainbows! :note:

Good evening, everyone. My name is Patti, and my bunnies' name is Thor. She is a 4 year old lop, and currently residing indoors for the winter. I am very pleased to have found this rabbit forum. I have never been on any type of forum before. I would be most interested to hear from other lop earred rabbit owners about any advice in any manner. During the winter months, I feel Thor is a little 'bored' in the house; I try to keep her mentally stimulated by providing some rabbit 'mazes' from cardboard boxes, and whatnot...but I think she longs to go outside...if anyone has some suggestions or advice...I would enjoy that!

Patti

hi all i joined on janurary 29th!! i am not really new. i got ban before longlong long long time ago but mods and admins are ignoring this issie. i will behave now i don't wanna get baned again.:( ;)! anyways i am bryan and i have one spayed girl bunny. Named Chester. you would figure it out she isnt crazy as much cuz she got spayed. well guess what : WRONG! she went crazy on me this morning and last night.. i will you more about it in a new topic this morning later. welcome all! top ofthe morning!!

Thanks for the welcome everyone and welcome to Thor and coolbunnybun too.

Tiny's mum, Thanks for all the information.

When I took Josh in to be neutered, the vet told me that rabbits with a split penis could father babies, but it is best not to because it is thought to be genetic and they can't be shown if they have a split penis. I don't know how true this is, but I am thinking Joshua is the father because he is fawn and threequite a few of the babies are fawn, wherea the three girls, two are black and white and one is a light brown and white....but then genetics never run that smoothly so the fawn could be a throwback from an ancester (I am NOT good at genetics)

I phoned my friend who I got the girls from and she is sure they are female. I am a bit worried now though. There is a rabbit breeder who lives near me so I might ask her if she could come and sex them for me just to make sure.

The biggest babies opened their eyes today. I have checked them over and they are all dry and clear, not gunk or crusty bits. The other babies are smaller, They are obviously from a different litter.

Pet_Bunny. The babies were a shock so I have not had time to plan on what to do with them. I have read they can leave their mother a 8 weeks, is this correct? If so then when that happens I will take them to the vet to be sexed. Then I will have to have the girls inone room and the boys in another. I am going to try my hardest to find good homes for them, but if I can't I will have to make space and keep them. I live in a farm house on my own so there are several rooms I don't use. The only thing i am worried about is having several males incase they won't agree. I will get them all neutered. My vet suggested getting my females spayed after the babies have been weaned but I don't know if there are any benefits. I have been told that ovarian cancer is a big problem in does that haven't had a litter, is the risk still the same after they have had babies? I am willing to pay to give them the best life they can possibly have.

Well, I will leave it there for now. I will put up some pics of my rabbits if I can work out how to.

I would still spay the female. I took Amber home from the shelter along with one of her babies, Devon. I still spayed her. She was two years old and had three litters in her previous home, I think.

Back