NEW MEMBERS (Feb. 2006 - Jan. 2007) CLOSED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karine,

I can't afford to spay all of my does when I'm done using them for breeding - but my plans are to retire them at around 2 1/2 - 3 years of age and spay the ones I can afford and give them away as pets...they've earned a good life. The ones I can't spay - will also be given away as pets - but with a request to get them spayed. I'm already setting up a fund and putting $$ in it every payday towards the day when I need to start retiring does. (Of course - some does may go to other breeders who are willing to breed them a bit longer if they are really good does for type,e tc).

What I'm trying to get at is that having a litter does not reduce the chances of cancer according to what I've been told in the past.

As far as the bucks....they will get along most likely till 12-14 weeks...if you're lucky. Maybe even a bit longer. But yes - they will fight and yes - they will need to be neutered. Even once they're neutered....they may still fight. We have two Netherand dwarf neutered bucks that were littermates. They slept together at 8 weeks of age - now they need to be caged apart...no matter what I've tried.

I am a big believer in neutering does - and bucks I am somewhat a believer in as it reduces spraying and helps them behaviorally. (Sounds strange coming from a breeder...right?). But I haven't seen good evidence suggesting that neutering helps a buck avoid cancer (basically - I haven't seen that there is a high incidence rate of cancer in bucks like there is in does).

Yes - your babies can leave around 8 weeks - sometimes a bit earlier. Usually by 6 weeks, my babies are sneaking out of their cages and running around on the rabbitry floor (or in another rabbits' cage). They then run back to mama for nursing...that is mainly in my kennel style cages. My other cages they can't get out of (and I've bought some new wire for my kennel cages to fix their ability to sneak out as its so hard to not trip on them).

I have found that with my free-roaming babies - they are less afraid of humans than my totally caged babies. They see me as the "giver of treats" and will come running to ME when they hear footsteps - because they know I probably have food or water or a treat or hay or something. Unfortunately that can make them a target to get stepped on - or make me fall. I say this to say...."WATCH WHERE YOU STEP!". People just can't get over how fearless my babies are and how much they love people!

Peg

Hi again Tinys_mum and Bunnydude.

Thank you for all your information.

The girls gave birth in my study, so for now they are confined to that room. They gave birth in a box behind my sofa. (my sofa in my study was in front of a little old larder which they seem to love to be in) I will still watch where I step while I'm in there though. Up until recently I bred Guinea Pigs, and their babies were always running around my feet in circles.

I will definately get my girls spayed then.

I don't think it sounds stranget hat you are a breeder who is a believer in neutering does and bucks. It just shows you are responsible and care for your animals.

I am now going to read "The Rabbitry" section so I can leanr more about babies.

Hi to new members Holly, Karine, Thor, and Bryan,

Karine, I couldn't help laughing either. :wink:I guess that's what you get for being softhearted--lots of fuzzies!!--and isn't it funny how they change sex so suddenly? We all call it "getting whacked by the gender fairy".:whistling

Excellent that all your babies are doing well. Bonding male-female pairs, I've heard, is easier, so that's an option you might consider if you're getting them all fixed anyway. Ovarian cancer is definitely an issue for does--but that said, I've only lost one to that and none of mine are spayed, so it's a gamble. There are some surgical risks, of course, just as for any major procedure in animals or humans, but a good experienced rabbit vetwill minimize that risk. Just check to make sure they've done it successfully and consistently before. Bucks can be hugely obnoxious if unaltered (mine is!), so I'd recommend that for the boys since you're not breeding them. Speaking of breeding and genetics, I wonder if their ears will lop or not? Hmmmm....let us know!

Rose

Thank you for the welcome, and the web info! It was very helpful. I'm just learning how to use this forum (I've never been on one before). Thanks again!

Hi! My name is Heather and my husband is Shane. My hubby used to have cats, but we can't have them where we live. He wanted something we could housetrain. We decided on a rabbit. Well, he suggested it, and I pushed the idea because I like rabbits. My family had some when I was younger. For the past eight years, I have had a lot of guinea pigs that have their own big bedroom right now with giant cages that I built for them.

Anyway, a little more than a month ago we got a young female bunny from a pet shop. Her name is Dori, short for Andoria. She is a blue dutch. Amazingly, we didn't even really have to train her. She has a big cage with a corner litter box that she uses. The door is removed so she only goes in her cage to eat, drink, and use the litter box. And, occasionally to play a bit, but she is usually out and about the house. She even goes up and down the stairs. She even scratched at the bathroom door the other day, when I was getting ready in there. I opened the door, and she looked up at me and hopped in.

We love her. She is really smart and a really cool pet. Far better than a cat, I think, anyway. :) Nothing against cats, They have just never really been for me.

Well, nice to meet all of you! :)

:wave2Hi!

I got my first rabbit for the same reason- I was living where I couldn't have cats. Once I got her home I realized what great pets rabbits were!

Welcome to the forum!

Shane and Heather wrote:
.... Amazingly, we didn't even really have to train her. She has a big cage with a corner litter box that she uses. The door is removed so she only goes in her cage to eat, drink, and use the litter box. And, occasionally to play a bit, but she is usually out and about the house. She even goes up and down the stairs. She even scratched at the bathroom door the other day, when I was getting ready in there. I opened the door, and she looked up at me and hopped in....
We love her. She is really smart and a really cool pet.
Hi Shane and Heather :welcome :hello

My bunny Pipp is a Netherland Dwarf, she's the same way with the open cage and the no training.

Don't think she's ever scratched at the bathroom door, though, that's too funny!

:rofl:

Welcome to the world of bunny addicts!! :toastingbuns

SAS:wiggleand PIPP :bunny24

Welcome Shane, Heather and Dora! We hope you'll really enjoy the forum!

:bunnydance:

Peg

Shane and Heather wrote:
She even scratched at the bathroom door the other day, when I was getting ready in there. I opened the door, and she looked up at me and hopped in.

Wow, only a month and who owns the house???;):bunnydance:

Poor you! She'll have YOU perfectly trained in no time! (good thing the little guys are so cute, or they wouldn't get away with so much!)

Welcome!

Rose

hey there Karina and welcome,

your story sounds so familiar to me cause that is what happened to me.

i got pippi,as being told she was a girl but she was actually a he,ohh did he make a mess of things for me,i specifically told the lady no boys allowed,because i know what i am like,if my bunnies had babies i could not find it in my heart to give them away,so what happens pippi got my girls pregnant and i ended up with 5 baby bunnies,that i could not bare to part with,they are just a year old now,everybody said i was crazy for keeping them but i had no choice,im way sensitive which gets in the way sometimes,but i knew my babies are well looked after,and then i would be worrying where my babies are and whats happening to them,hence i now have a bunch of spoiled bunnies,they are just like my two children but the difference is bunnies stay children forever lol,they will not grow up and move out of home:?.

people should not judge you for a mistake,that is wrong of them.

im sure you will find it more friendlier here,because im sure we are all bunny crazy as each other:).

and hello and welcome to all the new comers:D

ohh and i forgot to say,after pippi had kept his identity quiet until i discovered his little secret,well he went straight to the vet,he didnt even pass go lol.

it was no wonder why he kept giving me this strange look every time i called him my gorgeous little girl,ha he was probably saying "yeah lady you just go ahead and think im a girl its best that way"boy did he have fun lol

and also out of those five babies i ended up with one boy,who was desexed at 4 months old,i did not want anymore accidents lol.

cheryl...

Hey all,

I just registered today. I do not own a rabbit, but was thinking of obtaining one from a friend who's pair just had babies. Before I went ahead and got one though, I wanted to inform myself as much as possible. I've learned from past experiences that I should do that before getting any more critters!But anyway, I am currently a college student who doesn't have TOO much time on his hands, although I love animals. Are rabbits very social animals? If i get one, will it be ok on it's own , or will it be like dogs who get lonely if not given constant attention? I will obviously give it the care it requires, but there are days that I am so busy at school, that I don't get home until late at night. Also, how much space do they require? I do have outdoor space, although i'd have to build some sort of enclosure to protect it from cats and to keep the rabbit from escaping :). If they don't require too much space, would they be okay in an indoor cage? How big should the cage be? As for the breed of the rabbit, I really don't know. I'm sure it is the most common breed available. Thanks for any help you can provide!-Luis

Hi Luis, welcome to the forum!:welcome

First of all, it is very wise of you to research before bringing Bunny home. Rabbits are social animals, but provided you give him/her enough attention s/he doesn't have to have a companion (although its not a bad idea). Housing your bunny inside is a good idea, and the cage needs to at least be big enough for Bunny to turn around and stand up. Keep in mind that your bunny will still need daily out-of-cage time. I have justed bumped up a thread on cages for you:)

bunnydude wrote:
Hi Luis, welcome to the forum!:welcome

First of all, it is very wise of you to research before bringing Bunny home. Rabbits are social animals, but provided you give him/her enough attention s/he doesn't have to have a companion (although its not a bad idea). Housing your bunny inside is a good idea, and the cage needs to at least be big enough for Bunny to turn around and stand up. Keep in mind that your bunny will still need daily out-of-cage time. I have justed bumped up a thread on cages for you:)

Sweet thanks! I'm thinking of waiting until i graduate in May. I don't have much patience, so I hope I can pull it off. This should be my last undergrad semester, so it might be a little heavy. It wouldn't be too smart/nice to bring a new pet if my school load is too heavy and I can't give it the attention it might need. Thanks for bumping that cage thread though! It'll give me plenty ideas for the future.

Besides, talk about DISTRACTING!!!!;)I know!

This was me with a new litter::bunnyheart:bunnyheart:bunnyheart:bunnyheart:bunnyheart:bunnyheart:bunnyheart:bunnyheart:bunnyheart:inlove:

Make it a reward for graduating.:thumbup

Rose

Greetings, all!Just thought I'd introduce myself since I just registered with the forum.I've been an "animal person" all of my life, and recently my husband and I added our first bunny to our family. Her name is Chomper and she's a Mini Rex. She's approximately seventeen weeks old, and what a cutie! We've never owned a bunny before, but she's just a joy. And since she's the only other female in the house, I've taken to spoiling her rotten. I mean really rotten... Chomper has her own bedroom full of bunny toys and cardboard boxes perfect for hiding and scratching and chewing. In a word, Chomper is my little princess.The king of the household, however, is Cash, our two year old black lab. We adopted him from Labs4Rescue just before Christmas. Before he came to our home, Cash was found as a stray in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and was taken in by the local humane society. No one came to claim him, and though he was put up for adoption, no one came to adopt him either. Just before his euthanasia date, Labs4Rescue saved him, and now he's just as spoiled as his little sister.As of yet, Cash and Chomper haven't had much interaction. Cash is a big boy at about ninety pounds, and though he's not aggressive, he's still too interested in Chomper to be trusted not to accidentally hurt her while trying to play with his little sister. We'll get to that point, of course; Cash is doing great in basic obedience.Oh, I also have a husband. Guess he wouldn't be thrilled to know that he came after the pets in the introductions. Haha!Well, hope to get to know you all soon! It's great to be here!-Sharon (p.s. I can't figure out why the breaks I keep putting in here aren't working for me... when I hit enter, it just doesn't show up as a break! Any thoughts on that?)

:hello Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like Chompers is having a great time at your place! Boxes have to be the best bunny toys ever.:D

Good luck training Cash- I have no experience with dogs whatsoever. If you need any help, I know there are a couple of other members with dogs and rabbits. I just have rabbits and... more rabbits!

Greetings Sharon:D

:welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you here! Feel free to start a home thread with pics of Chomper and Cash in the Bunny Blogs section. RO members (myself included) *love* pictures. Once again, welcome.

Matt:cool:

Hi

Just a quicky to introduce myself and my house-bunny Conker who is a 2 year old male lionhead (currently keeping guard on the landing as I type in my study).

Helen

Latest posts

Back