Nesting help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRT8990

Reaction score
So my doe will be having her first litter I’m guessing next week like on Tuesday or Wednesday. Caught her picking up hay and and nesting in the litter box. How do I prevent that? I gave her the nesting box with hay to see what she would do. After investigating she seemed to start to nest in it only for a short time. Seems she may have took the hay from the litter and put more in the nest box. Litter was freshly changed when she did this. And has kind of gone between the 2. But how do I prevent her from having her babies in the litter box? And if she does is it safe to move the babies to the nest box and hope she cares for them there?

So my doe will be having her first litter I’m guessing next week like on Tuesday or Wednesday. Caught her picking up hay and and nesting in the litter box. How do I prevent that? I gave her the nesting box with hay to see what she would do. After investigating she seemed to start to nest in it only for a short time. Seems she may have took the hay from the litter and put more in the nest box. Litter was freshly changed when she did this. And has kind of gone between the 2. But how do I prevent her from having her babies in the litter box? And if she does is it safe to move the babies to the nest box and hope she cares for them there?
Hi, you could remove the litter box completely from her enclosure or you could move the litter box into the nest box if it fits.
Hope this helps.

Hi, you could remove the litter box completely from her enclosure or you could move the litter box into the nest box if it fits.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately it won’t fit in the litter box, I have her inside in a set up. She is litter trained mostly but maybe closer to her kindling date I’ll try that and remove the litter box if this keeps up. Thank you

Hi. I'm trying to locate the numerous archived pics from both of our females who had litter boxes in their housing units. In addition to a towel surround where the infants were born. We noticed both female strays began pulling fur and nesting. I knew from previous education posts from rescue folks that a towel surround can work nicely for pregnant moms. - All 16 babies grew up fine with their mom having a litter box and the towel surround as a nest for momma bun to nurse her babies. If you'd like more images, I will pull lthem up. No nesting box was ever used.

Attachments

• CuddlesBabesFeb15_937am.JPG
    CuddlesBabesFeb15_937am.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thank you for your reply! Makes me a bit better if she does give birth in there. Awe look at the little babes! I’m so excited
Oops I meant to put feel a lot better! Only days away now💙

Little ms Ellie said forget the nest box I found my own spot lol and pushed the litter box out the way and took all the hay from the nest box. She made a nice little nest last night. Today is day 29. Babies coming soon💜

Attachments

• F8E9A308-9E78-4530-B801-944B42C97650.jpeg
    F8E9A308-9E78-4530-B801-944B42C97650.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • E2241FF0-3EE9-4CA4-B7E8-7659C36097AB.jpeg
    E2241FF0-3EE9-4CA4-B7E8-7659C36097AB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 64FFB3E9-0EC1-4A12-AA7A-D19A73BDCDB3.jpeg
    64FFB3E9-0EC1-4A12-AA7A-D19A73BDCDB3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 88F174A6-E477-4DB5-A0C0-F33370D76B3F.jpeg
    88F174A6-E477-4DB5-A0C0-F33370D76B3F.jpeg