Nervous and Excited...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, don't worry about it! Sometimes you just gotta explode and let it out!

Having a parent who just doesn't seem to want to listen or understand your side of the story is an extremely frustrating situation. Been there, done that, and I still go through it daily. So I feel your pain!

I wish your mom could see what we all see. You are an extremely intelligent, caring, and responsible person that any bunny would be lucky to have! You have done your research, drawn out the plans,planned for the future, and have money put aside for the costs. What more could one ask for! I'm hoping and praying that your mom will realize this and begin to feel otherwise. I think any young person who is this prepared and responsible should be given a chance to adventure out and do something they want to do -- in your case, get a bunny and be responsible for its care.

:hug2:to you and hopefully she'll re-think the situation!

I am glad. MBH you have made me feel a lot better with that. I am going to bring up the fact that getting a bunny would force me to do the things they think I need to do. I would have to get a job to help support the on-going costs of the bunny. My room would have to be immaculate. Bunnies are grazers after all, if my room weren't spotless (at least where the bunny could get to) then there would be problems. I would have to get my driver's license to get to and from work and to the vets (because I know my parents- they would promise to take me but "somehow" something would happen and they would fall through.) I don't want to have to depend on others to get me somewhere in an emergency because my fastest ride(Caleb) would take 30 minutes if he walked out of his house when I called. I will be able to drive for the event of an emergency.

Which brings up a talk I had with my older brother a second ago. I told him what I was going through with mom and the first thing he said was that I didn't have time for a pet because I spend time with Caleb. Two days a week usually. I wish I would have told him that he is raising 2 kids, has 3 pit bulls, goes to work and hangs out with his girlfriend all the time but he still somehow manages pets. Urrggg....It just rubs me the wrong way when people act like that...:mad: But enough of my mis-directed anger.
RaE

Hey Rae, how frustrating!! Having a pet teaches a lot of responsibility and I find it really helps you mature. It makes YOU responsible for a living, breathing little person (;)) that relies on you for EVERYTHING. And being relied on and knowing you have to take care of its needs and food and doctor bills, it really helps in making someone make better choices. Like taking money and using it for vet bills instead of needless things, and spending time caring for it instead of wasting time with other stuff.

I definitely think you're ready to manage a bunny and have a boyfriend at the same time. There are many member's here who have boyfriends, or are even married with kids, and they still have bunnies (some have many!).

If you ever need to rant, rave, or just bang your head against something, feel free to PM me or e-mail me. I've been there with hardheaded parents or felt like they never understood anything! So I know where you're coming from. :)

***HUGS to you!***

So I am going to point out that I would have to get a job, get my drivers license, and keep my room clean. Other then that I don't really know what else to say that I haven't already. Anyone else have any ideas that might win them over? I don't know, I need some help.

I have also narrowed down to three bunnies that I would like to get immediately (And if I can get a bunny I will pick from these if I can. Not listed in any order...)
1. A lionhead/lionlop (Harlequin/magpie coloring are preferable, but I am not that picky)
2. A Holland Lop (Black is my color of choice, but all colors are debatable)
3. A Dwarf Hotot

Those are just some of the breeds I think are small and cute enough for me to keep here. Personality is the most important thing tome.

So if anyone has any ideas about me mommy, do share!
<3, RaE

Have you thought about getting a job first to show her how responsible you can be? It would probably be a good way for you to get out of the house and earn some money while showing her how serious you are.

Good luck!

I am waiting on a vets office to get back to me (I would be on kennel duty, taking care of animals that have to stay overnight and what not while their owners are away). It is really hard to get anything but fast food joints around me and I don't want to work there. If I have no other choice I will, but I am trying to avoid it. It is hard to find someone that wants a 17 year old with no work experience. Blah >.<'
RaE

What about putting around ads forpet sitting/dog walking etc? You could put up fliers at the vets office or on craigs list etc.

Do you have any pet stores in your area that you could try to find a job at? You certainly like animals so maybe that would be fun.

Susan:bunnydance:

Grocery stores are usually great places to work at. I worked as a cashier in one of the local drug stores for years until I went to college and even then I would work there on my breaks. Most places like pet stores and grocery/drug stores are very good about working around student schedules. :)

You might try getting a job at a local movie theatre. It was my first job, and you have to make popcorn and sodas,but that is pretty much it, food wise. It is an easy job, and they don't mind having teens on staff. It is a good first job without having to work at McDonalds.

Also, don't have your heart set on a certain bunny breed. If I would have gone on looks I would have picked the black bunny sharing a cage with my TinkleB unny. But the little grey one had so much personality that I just had to take her home with me. I have never regretted it.

Good Luck.

~Star~

I am going to hear from the vets a bit later tonight, I will keep everyone posted. And Starina, I know that personality is more important then looks. The only other thing that matters besides personality (though on the same level personality) is size. I don't have room for a Flemmie or anything that big, but if it is under 5 or 6 pounds, I think it will be okay. ^.^

Yay, I got the application. Now I just have to fill it out correctly and ace the interview. I am scared,but really, how hard will it be? They want me to shovel poo and walk dogs. (I know in actuality they will want me to know a lot of animal stuff.) Time to turn on the charm!
<3, RaE

I have applied to Toys RUs. Soon I will have also applied to Walmart and Lowes. Woo. And I have been pestering my mom like crazy. And guess what. She didn't say no.She said for me to ask later. I think she is going to bring it up to my stepdad (Which is going to be the hard part.) But if I could get everything set up, I should be ready by May. Oh, I wonder about nationals! I must go find info!
Uber-Excited, RaE

I am bouncing everywhere. I suddenly have a ton of energy. I could be running around in circles. I hope my step dad didn't make things icky. I wouldn't get excited if I didn't think that there wasn't hope. I was talking about getting things ready and trying to go to nationals and my mom said that is sounded cool. I asked her if that meant I could have a bunny. She said "Ask me later".This means I have beaten her down. Now to step dad. I even have a way to get to nationals but I need to know about the cost of everything. I would love to meet everyone here on RO that is going.*squeals and runs in circles*

:colors: RaE

minilops wrote:
Awesome! :D Good luck with everything. I recently got a (very) part time job and I'm loving it. You'll have bunnies before you know it.

The nationals in Ohio. That one is the only one I can guilt my dad to take me to. I should look into what nationals that is, otherwise it might not want to go. Can somebody feel me in? The only thing I know is it is somewhere in Ohio and it is in May... (I haven't been paying attention because I didn't think that I would be able to go)

I bumped the thread in the rabbitry and posted links to information about it.

It is more than just Lionhead Nationals - I think it is the 2nd largest rabbit show in the nation.

Peg

Latest posts

Back