Nervous and Excited...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, when I decided to get a bunny, I thought for sure I would have gotten a black one, I picked the spunky grey one,who shared the cage with a black one. Something about her just made me say, "That's my bunny." I know I found my heart bunny.

Ken (my BF of 7 years)is a great driver, he just gets very angry when people don't pay attention. (We have nicknamed him The Finger) He even flipped off his brother's roommate's mom! People are different here in NY, if they don't like you, they go out of their way to tell you to your face, "F*** you!" :angryrant It is crazy. I am not from NY, but I find it is rubbing off on me, I am much more obnoxious then I was when I first moved here. :lol

~Star~

Ahahahhaa. I am very obnoxious. I am very loud. I am very stubborn.

Sometimes I think Ryan (my fiance) doesn't understand me sometimes, but I can't blame him...he wasn't raised in New York nor did he have a bunch of Mass friends:D.

My gosh, do I miss New York:).

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

Unfortunately for me, I was born and raised here. I bet I have an atrocious accent. :( I swear I don't hear it....

I didn't mean that in an offensive way for all the Tennesseans that read that and are now on map quest looking for me. I just meant there is nothing around where I live. It is one of those places you have to drive 15 minutes to a gas station...

RaE

My mom's side of the family is from the south,in fact my grandparents had a farm in Tenn. for a few years. Family names include, Melva, Velma, Verna, Mina, Lou, names you don't hear anywhere but the south. My grandparents have serious southern drawls.It is funny because I was born and raised in Alaska,so I don't have an accent. (although I am now accused of having a NY one by my family)My mom doesn't either, unless she gets mad,then this southern accent comes out!

My BF doesn't hear his accent either.

~Star~

See, I think we in CA just talk normally, but then I wonder if the people who I think talk funny think they talk normally and we talk funny... right? When I'm nervous the Valley girl in me comes out and I say like a lot.

I don't hear mine at all, unless I am talking to someone not from the south. Then I think that I sound like a hick. It is not good.
RaE

P.S. I am now measuring my room to see what kind and where I am going to put my cage. It is fun.

When I wanted a hamster, and then when I wanted a snake, and then when I wanted a rabbit, I did the same thing to get my parents to say yes.

1) I got the idea of the animal that I wanted, but I didn't let myself get my hopes up and too excited. Also start being the perfect child. (good grades, clean room, helping around the house)

2) Mention the animal toyour parents wheneveryou get the chance. I try to make it seem as casual as possible though. Something like when you see a carrot in your kitchen that your mom is chopping up or eating or something, you say, "I bet a bunny would be so cute eating this! Rabbits are so adorable...." (that's just an example ;))

3)Do a tiny bit of research on the animal. Don't do too much so that you don't get too excited about the idea.Come up with some interesting facts about the animal. Bring it up casually and bring up a new fact as much as possible, but not too too much. Something like, "Did you know that rabbits are the most active at dawn and dusk?"

4) Just suddenly say, "I really want a rabbit." If your mom says something negative, go back to step 2 or 3. If she says something negative but could possibly have a hint of positive deep down in there, go back to step 3. If she starts asking you questions about a rabbit, happily tell her informationand don't be afraid to show that you know a lot about them.

5) If you get past step 4, go do a TON more research on the animal. Be an expert.

6) Keep bring the rabbit up. Also try bringing it up around other family members. Someone might be on your side. (that's how I got my parents to say yes to the rabbit. both of my grandparents were on my side.)

7) Give your parents the plain facts on rabbits. Make sure you clearly state that the rabbit will be yours, they won't even see the rabbit, and they pretty much won't even know that it will exist because you will be doing all the work. Tell them of your plans like where you are going to buy and put the cage.

Another good tip is to try to leave little hints about rabbits everywhere. Like, when I go on the computer and do my research on rabbits, I write down a bunch of little notes about them,like the cage dimensions, the best type of food, etc. Leave them in plain view so that if someone finds them, hopefully, they will read and understand how much you want the rabbit.

I know exactly what you're going through. I remember feeling so frustrated when my mom would say no for no reason at all or would make up some really sorry excuse and wouldn't listen to what i had to say. I had to do this when I first wanted a hamster. After they saw how I good I was with the hamsters,it was easier to persuade them into letting me get the snake and bunny later. I would also say to start with a smaller pet and work your way up, but it doesn't look like you have the time. It seems like you are doing a good job so far into getting your mom to say yes. Also, be persistent, but don't get on their nerves. It is possible for your mom to say yes.Just don't give up. Good luck! :)

Great advice.

Rae hope this really starts taking off for you.

Oh and I am 24...I dont drive.

Good Luck! What worked with my boyfriend (we live together) is that I kept mentioning it. We agreed to get one when we buy a house (which is at least a year away) but I wanted one now. I kept just showing him pics on here of cages, bunnies, etc. I talked to a few rescue groups and would tell him "So and So has bunnies for this amount. They are already spayed and neutered. Wouldn't that be better than buying a pet store bun?" Basically I kept talking about them like we had already agreed to get one now, LOL. I never actually asked him,so he couldn't say no, LOL. A few nights ago, we were laying in bed,and he looked at me and asked "are you asking for a bunny right now?"And I kinda nodded, and he asked me if it would make me happy, and I nodded again. So he said okay.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Aww that is sweet.

That is sweet.....my fiance is like that too. He can't say "No" to a cute animal face;).

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

My boyfriend loves the idea of getting a bunny. He (and all of you guys) are the only ones with any faith...

This is getting frustrating. Just mom to pretty much cave,but now my step dad is being a jerk. This is how the conversation went:

I forget how it started but I was talking to my boyfriend about getting a bunny. I said something like, "I really need to hear back from Toys R Us so I can start working on the cost of a bunny."

Step dad "You are NOT getting a bunny."
Me"Yes I am."
Step dad "No you aren't."
Me "Yes, wait why not?"
Step dad "You are not getting a bunny in this house!" (He was screaming here)

At that point I dropped it. Caleb (boyfriend) was looking pretty stressed. He doesn't like the way my family does me, but doesn't want to start anything that would get me in trouble later. I asked my mom later on why step ad has such a problem and it is because "I don't do well taking care of things. You don't keep your room clean,etc etc" I tried to point out that this is a compromise : I have to do what they want me to do (cleaning, working, driving, etc) and I get my reward. Thy told me I should do those things anyways, and got mad when I pointed out that they don't go do their jobs for no pay. Why should I work my butt off and get nothing.

Amy, I have done those steps as well as anything else I can think of. I have tried to be nice but it is so tiring. None of my family has faith in my abilities either. They all think I am acting like a snob and that I am totally irresponsible, but I can't humble myself anymore. I am pretty tired of licking shoe soles.

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:sigh:tantrum::growl: Sorry. Rant off....*fumes silently*

RaE

P.S. Even my dad (who will normally do anything to get under my moms skin) said that bunnies poo all the time and why wouldn't I rather have a sugar glider, degu, or chinchilla? I can't even explain to him....And he usually gets me...

Hi! First of all, I understand your frustration with your parents. However, as a parent myself (my twins are 22 now), I also see your parent's side. I think I may agree with them. But please let me explain.....

I do not see keeping your room clean as a "job" where you get a reward of a pet. Keeping your room clean and helping around the house with jobs is part of being a member of the household. You get the benefits of having a roof over your head, food on the table, clean laundry (even if you have to do it yourself as some teens do) and what do your parents ask of you? I'm guessing that the chores they ask you to do probably wouldn't take more than an hour a day if you did them right off and didn't dawdle. (I was a dawdler and so are my kids). You talk about your parents getting paid for their work - and that is true - for the work they do OUTSIDE the home. But when they cook or clean or do laundry or whatever...they're not doing it for some "benefit" or to earn something from you...they do it because they are part of the family and that is what is done.

Your parents are trying to help you grow up by building character and having you do things you don't like. So what? You're going to have to do that the rest of your life. Don't want to go into work? Aw..I'll just skip it. A few days of that...and you suddenly have no more job.So building some self-discipline now while you're at home by doing the things you don't like...won't hurt you at all.

I think the best way for you to get a rabbit is to start doing what your parents want. I'd sit down with them and say, "What is it that I need to do here to be pulling my own weight?" and then start doing it.Trust me - in their eyes they'll see you grow up a lot - and I'm betting if you did that for the rest of the school year - and did it cheerfully - simply because you are a member of the family - you'd have a better chance of having a rabbit.

So I'm sorry - but I'm with your parents on this one. If you're not taking care of your responsibilities at home - and especially if you're not taking care of your room - I wouldn't want to add a pet to the family. Rabbits need their cage cleaned on a regular basis or the odor does build up.

I discussed this with my 22 year old daughter Robin - who is a slob by the way. I wanted to see if I was being too hard in my thoughts. (She is sharing an apartment with her twin brother who is ALSO a slob). She said to me that she agreed wtih me - that taking care of the house is just part of something you do because you live there.....she said she feels bad because it is her job to do the dishes and she's been too lazy and it makes things harder for Eric 'cause he does the cooking and there is no room to cook - so they wind up having Ramen or something..

So I guess my point is - if you want your parents to let you have a rabbit - try looking at yourself as part of the family and doing some of what they want....unless they were trying to get you to clean the whole house by yourself or something...I'm betting it isn't outrageous.

Peg

Weetwoo_89 wrote:
I asked my mom later onwhy stepdad has such a problem and it is because "I don't do welltaking care of things. You don't keep your room clean,etcetc" I tried to point out that this is a compromise : I haveto do what they want me to do (cleaning, working, driving, etc) and Iget my reward. Thy told me I should do those things anyways, and gotmad when I pointed out that they don't go do their jobs for no pay. Whyshould I work my butt off and get nothing.

Amy, I have done those steps as well as anything else I canthink of. I have tried to be nice but it is so tiring. None of myfamily has faith in my abilities either. They all think I am actinglike a snob and that I am totally irresponsible, but I can't humblemyself anymore. I am pretty tired of licking shoe soles.

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:sigh:tantrum::growl: Sorry. Rant off....*fumes silently*

RaE

P.S. Even my dad (who will normally do anything to get under my momsskin) said that bunnies poo all the time and why wouldn't I rather havea sugar glider, degu, or chinchilla? I can't even explain to him....Andhe usually gets me...

The thing is, I really do understand where you are coming from Peg. I know what I should be doing (though that doesn't make it any more fun, unfortunately). It is also unfortunate that my parents will work me to the bone. I have no qualms picking up after myself (I do admit that my room is unorganized. Not filthy, just I have lots of stuff and not a great lot of space.) My parents will say "Do all the work and we will see." So I then work my butt of and we never see. All of my family is excellent with words. Not yet gotten the actions that the words mean though. I am going to try again though, since I have done everything everyone else has said and it has fallen through. I have my mom (almost), but maybe you are right(You are a parent.)

<3, RaE

So here is the plan. I feel like mixing it up a bit:

1. Do what I normally do. Help around the house, dinner, cleaning, etc.
2. Clean my room. Well. And move the furniture around.
3. Don't bring up the idea for a bit.
4. Get a job and put back the bunny money. (I would like this step to happen ASAP)
5.Set up a cage and leave it there. Perhaps this will entice them to let me put something furry inside it. If nothing else, I can practice different cage styles and see what I will like best when I move out.

If this doesn't work like I think it will, then my parents have no conscious at all. I am angry anyways. I am a disgruntled sibling. All my little brother had to do was say that he wanted a turtle and my older brother get TWO from Florida for him. One died this last year :)( It was a vitamin deficiency) but one is still here (Though if I had it, I would have it a bigger tank and better food but according to my mom I wouldn't take good care of it either. I however disagree as the thing gets no outside pen time, no different food, and IMO a tiny tank. But he has DECENT care. He tries to take your fingers off since he lost his life mate. Poor baby..) He doesn't take care of it, and I think that my parents feel like they are going to be roped into taking care of a bunny too. But all I can do is work at it until they give in or I move out. I hate being reasonable sometimes. Some days I just want to throw a fit and get what I want like everyone else in my house does. There is nothing else I can do though, so hopefully it will work as I plan for it to.
You guys were and are still such a great help. I hope you will continue to be here and interested in the ongoing trials and tribulations of everything. :inlove:

<3, RaE

That sounds like a really good plan - to be honest with you - as a parent - if I saw my daughter was really trying to keep her room clean (and had room for a cage) and was really being consistent in things - I'd be far more ready to go to bat for her for a pet if her dad disagreed. (Usually -he''d agree before me though).

I really do wish you luck and I hope your parents let you get a rabbit soon....and I wasn't totally trying to take their side 'cause I tend to think an older teen ought to be able to make some decisions on their own.

But I know that pets can cause odors and stuff.....and I'm guessing that might be one reason why they're so against it.

I really hope they work with you on this as they see you trying hard!

Peg

kathryn303, that is pretty much how I got started on the furry animal road:)

P.S. Even my dad (who will normally do anything to get under my moms skin) said that bunnies poo all the time and why wouldn't I rather have a sugar glider, degu, or chinchilla? I can't even explain to him....And he usually gets me...

Hahahahahahahahaha, that is a laugh. Rabbits don't poop at all compared to degus. I swear I clean his shelfs EVERYDAY and they still get covered. I am sorry but hahahahahahahahaha. Besides, sugar gliders are expensive,chinchillas can be rather mean if not handled from a young age, and degus from pet stores often have severe health problems that are costly(I got lucky on this one)Almost all degus in the US originated from 10 who were originally imported here. Not these aren't great pets, but they are more difficult than buns at times.

Weetwoo_89 wrote:
5.Set up a cage and leave it there. Perhaps this will entice them to let me put something furry inside it. If nothing else, I can practice different cage styles and see what I will like best when I move out.
Put a stuffed bunny inside. Name it, groom it, take it out for outside of cage time, play with it, refill it's water bottle, discuss taking it to the vet for a speuter. Your parents will worry about your mental health and get you a real bunny. ;)

Back