Neighbor asked to borrow some rabbit pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
Havent been able to access the forum for a while so hopefully this post will go through :?

Early last week my neighbor asked to borrow some pellets for her husbands rabbits. I said sure and gave her some. Didnt think much about it.

Mid week she asked for more...

Ok.

Friday morningthey had a major accident. She's hurt but not horribly. He's stillin the hospital.

Last night she calls me and asks if I could come over to help.

Ok.

Well, I'm not thrilled. Without realizing it I've been feeding the rabbits he takes deer hunting with him. If you can imagine, they don't go along for a joy ride.

One rabbit is left; she's terrified of it because it grunts, lunges, bites and rolls in the dog house it's blocked into. Everything smells like urine - terrible.

She wants me to feed and water the rabbit. Says not to worry about cleaning the mess because hubby's friend will come over to take the rabbit with him.

Not Ok!

I offer to take the rabbit IF I can keep it because I'm not caring for a rabbit just to send it to it's fate.

Dirty mean rabbit - not coming in the house since it came from who-knows-where and I dont need to spread anything so I hutch it in an extra cage on the back porch.

Come home today, run some errands. Let the dogs out, feed the cats. Feed, water, excersize my rabbits.

Go to the back porch to check on the newest resident, have a mild heart attack.

It has blood on it, not a good sign!

Take a closer look, get lunged at - open the hutch, move some hay, check the water - grab water dish out and see a MAJOR problem.

Not A major problem.... but 4.

Turn around, look at the rabbit - LOOK where the blood is and recount the problem.

9. NINE. 9.

Oh happy day. :banghead

Sounds like u have gained more than u were looking for. Well u know why the bunny was mean. I'm sure you'll take good care of your newcomers, just not mention it to the neighborers cause they might want them back.

:rabbithop:rabbithop:rabbithop:dutch:dutch:dutch:anotherbun:anotherbun:anotherbun
Whats a few more to the mix

Oh my goodness.

I know you're not happy - but can I say that rabbit is SOOOO very lucky that it found its way to your home.

Baby bunnies can be a lot of fun and while I don't encourage people to breed 'cause it can be expensive and heartbreaking - while they're there - enjoy them.

I know you'll find homes for them - even if some of them wind up getting into your heart and home.

I'm sorry about the doe being so aggressive ... but I'm betting once she gets used to you - she'll calm down.

I'm tired, cranky and had a rough night at work last night so this just really ... blaaah.

People suck. I'm a paramedic, worked a wreck last night local to the area. After all was said and done we all were wrung out. Turns out part of the wreck is at a shop/yard close to my house. Due to media attention it seems everyone wants to drive around and rubberneck.

Anyhow, my SLOW stupid computer is still uploading pictures but here is the doe. I dont know what kind of rabbit she is. White with red eyes, a hint of grey on her nose/ears/tail. Ears are rimmed with dark grey/black. Fairly large.

Photos053.jpg

Photos057.jpg

This is what the babies look like. I've never been around new rabbits but they all look ok. One may be small but it seems ok as well. It's the pink one at the top of the picture. They all have kind of big ears I think.

Photos054.jpg

I made this for them to sleep in but I dont think its right. Im looking through the forum now and searching google as well.

Photos058.jpg

I've read through the rabbitry section but havent given it a lot of thought because "it" was never going to happen to me.

Dont get me wrong, I love animals. Im not really resentful about this - Im just exhausted and was not prepared for this by any means.

Oh, poor poor thing..... I guess that goes a long way to explaining why she is so mean! Besides being stuck in those awful conditions.... :(

I'm glad she's safe with you now....

And OMG those babies!!!! :shock::shock: :inlove:

I hope that your neighbours don't get more bunnies to replace the other ones..... do they know about the kits?

You're an angel Leaf! :angel:

*SQUEEEEEAL!* Look at all the babies! They are adorable!

Leaf wrote:
This is what the babies look like. I've never been around new rabbits but they all look ok. One may be small but it seems ok as well. It's the pink one at the top of the picture. They all have kind of big ears I think.

Photos054.jpg

I made this for them to sleep in but I dont think its right. Im looking through the forum now and searching google as well.

Photos058.jpg

I've read through the rabbitry section but havent given it a lot of thought because "it" was never going to happen to me.

Dont get me wrong, I love animals. Im not really resentful about this - Im just exhausted and was not prepared for this by any means.

Oh my!! I'm glad that she and her babies are safe with you now! And it looks like just in time too!!

People are cruel, demonic, barbaric, and irresponsible. You'll need help with getting all those babies a truly good forever-home. Can you expound on the deer hunting not being a joy-ride comment?

For nest-like bedding, shredded newspaper with thin hay cover and even a soft towel or bath rug like shown here: Mari never objected. On the street, her babes were born on stiff ground with light filler-stuff. Didn't have a fancy maternity room.
http://www.linedgroundsquirrels.com/MariPhotoPage.html

I kept the towel there for a week (or more) until it needed a laundry cycle.

Uncaring people!! Grrr. Of course they wouldn't dream of getting rabbits spayed and neutered if they were going to end up .... (fill in the blank).

Leaf, you're an angel. Now, how can we help?? Mom will take care of them if she isn't stressed out. You'll need lotsa help getting 'em spayed and neutered though, and extra hands to help with their growing up.

It so sucks, Leaf, because from my experience the all white, plain jane colors, and all black aren't the first ones that a person will select. Maybe then it's a better thing because truly dedicated-responsible individuals will know those are the Overlooked beings.

How can we (or I) HELP?!?

Ditto, werecatrising.

Leaf wrote:
I'm guessing she's a Californian....she's so pretty.

I hate to say it - but I've developed a real fondness for Californians...I wish I could have more. I have three girls and two boys that I kept from Gracie's litter (basically the whole litter) and they just brighten up my days in the office.

I have heard Cali breeders say that the does are mean and ornery - but I don't think they all are. Gabby was a hoot (RIP baby girl) and Gracie is just as sweet as can be....she's not a cuddler but she does like pets and has a gentle nature.

Oh wow I know its not what you were wanting but can you imagine what would have happened if she had gone out with them!! poor girl no wonder she is very grumpy!!

the babies look great she is doing a good job :)if you can do it if she isn't to nippy is pull some fur from her belly ( I know that may sound easier than it really is!!) it loosens with the pregnancy hormones and should come away fine it will help insulte them in the nest. The nest you have doen looks great though:)

I just gotta say - I sure wish I could take the black ones - I bet they're gonna be pretty.

Of course - Art would shoot me as we continually say to each other "no more"...

But I have grown to really love Calis and Cali mixes..

I'm trying to figure out what bunnies have to do with deer slaughter as well... so what, he brings the rabbits with him so if he can't shoot a deer he can at least shoot something?

...sorry, I can't help but be angry about the situation.

The babies are adorable, and I hope everything goes well for them. If I was anywhere near I could offer to foster/socialize them but I can't. :(

Leaf wrote:
Well, I'm not thrilled. Without realizing it I've been feeding the rabbits he takes deer hunting with him. If you can imagine, they don't go along for a joy ride.

I have to ask cause i am not exactly sure what you are talking about, but what does the rabbit have to do with dear hunting? I can tell by the post that i am ssssssooooo not going to like the answer but i dont know what you are talking about,lol.

Leaf you are a wonderful person for doing this :hug:

Leaf,

The babies and momma are so lucky to have found you! I am excited for you because babies are a lot of fun! We had three litters of babies born in the Midwest Shelter this summer and we go to bring them home with us and raise them.

It was quite a learning experience for me and my kids and we've loved every minute of it.

The nest you built looks really pretty good other than covering it up. Keep them as warm as you can. They should all stay huddled together and should not come out of the next for at least one week. They probably won't be very mobile until they are more like two weeks old.

I would try to keep them in a box with sides so they can't crawl out in case they do get mobile. They really need to stay warm.

Your momma bunny looks like a Californian. We have a couple of them at the shelter with that same coloring. They are such sweet bunnies so I'm sure once momma is use to you and settled down a bit now that she's had the babies she will be a very nice girl.

Just for your info, the babies may likely nurse until they are 8 weeks old, so you should really try to keep them with the momma as long as possible. We try to keep a litter together until at least they are 12 weeks old. It helps them develop socially too and is just good for them.

Good luck with them and I look forward to seeing more pictures as they are growing. Just wait until they open their eyes! You are gonna fall in love!!!!

Best wishes!

Laura

Latest posts

Back