Neighbor asked to borrow some rabbit pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found some reading online about aggressive bunnies. They may not be specifically for bunnies who have recently given birth, but they have some good ideas here if your new "porch-guest". You may already know some of these, but heck, it's worth a try :D

This isn't specifically for buns who just gave birth, but this is "Ballistic Bunnies 101" from the House Rabbit Society's page. Interesting reading, none the less.

"Some rabbits are so "mean" they seem more like predators than prey. These are the rabbits who chase you across the room and up into chairs, who sink their teeth into your tender limbs and refuse to let go, or who growl at you when you approach. They're the rabbits most likely to be dumped or put to sleep. Unfortunately, they're often the ones who have suffered the most in life because somewhere along the line they learned that humans, or life itself, is not safe. If your rabbit is neutered or spayed, there can be any number of reasons he's aggressive. If you just got him, he may be stressed out by the move. His last owner may have frightened him somehow. He may have never had much contact with a human before. Or, if he used to be a hutch rabbit, the noises, smells, and sights of a house may be overwhelming him. One of the best things you can do for your relationship with this kind of rabbit is to protect yourself. Wear gloves, long sleeves, long pants, and real shoes when you're around him. This will protect your flesh. It will also help you keep calm. If your skin is protected, you're not as likely to jump, squeal or flail your arms, all of which might provoke or frighten him more.

Now start playing detective. Watch him closely to see what provokes him. It may be your touching anything in his view. It may be the movement of your legs when you walk . It may be a certain sound--like a rattling newspaper or the vacuum cleaner. It may be your reaching out to touch him or feed him. Whatever it is, don't do it. He needs to learn that you're not out to get him.

Then turn on the charm. One of the key lessons that House Rabbit Society members have learned is that affection works wonders on psycho bunnies. Try acting like he's the greatest thing that ever happened in your life, despite the bandages on your hand and the boots on your feet. Give him a big hello when you see him. Greet his every act of aggression with good humor too. When he charges your arm, say "why hello, you little pumpkin!" while calmly removing your arm from his reach. If he growls and thumps, say, "yes, you're a BIG rabbit --I love that about you!" If he streaks across the room with murder in his eyes, simply say, "hey buddy, are you coming to see me?"

You can ruffle his fur, sing a little song, say a little prayer, whatever it takes to greet his bad temper with joy, affection, and calmness. It takes courage, but if you have gloves and shoes on, you're safe. If he looks like he's going to bite, put your hand on his head, but continue to be cheerful. You can try saying EEK too--but be careful with this. Some nervous rabbits are provoked by a high-pitched squeal.

Rabbits think in patterns; your job is to change the pattern, so he realizes that his approach provokes affection from you, not harm. Eventually he'll associate you with kind words, nice pats, and enthusiasm for his particular personality.

Your bunny probably won't change overnight. It can take weeks for a rabbit to learn to trust. But that's what's so rewarding, and so moving, about helping aggressive rabbits. Your not just changing his behavior; your changing his perception of the world. As you do so, you'll alleviate a lot of his suffering"

- From the HRS website - http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/aggression.html#extreme

:bunny18

This is from http://language.rabbitspeak.com/rabbittalk_anger.html They have some interesting ideas as far as rabbit body language goes.

"One way to defuse an angry encounter is to start grooming yourself, wiping your face and running your fingers through your hair. This indicates that the situation really should not be all that serious, and that everyone should just chill out. Often the rabbit will respond by doing the same, to indicate it agrees. Rabbits can be good diplomats.

Some rabbits, generally those with a history of frightening experiences and the resulting distrust, are simply extremely aggressive. They may actually chase you around and clamp their teeth onto you without any obvious provocation."

I love naming Leaf's bunnies! LOL!

Bambi isn't so sweet huh? Well, I can't say that I blame her. She was raised by some creep! :X

I would imagine that her behavior is a combination of being a new mom and previous abuse. Charity and Sophie were both that way when I got them, but after a spay and much hard work, they are now much better. Obviously, she isn't adoptable that way....If, after the kits are weaned, she hasn't settled down any, I might be willing to take her on if you want. The mean 'uns are kinda my specialty, LOL. Totally up to you, of course. I know you will have to deal with finding homes for the kits too.

Grooming yourself really does seem to put bunnies at ease. If you feel weird doing bunny actions, brushing your hair in front of them seems to be the same thing. Once I start doing it, if the buns aren't sleeping then they start to do it too.

It's just like saying, "hey, I'm relaxed. Time to do my hair."

Oh Leaf, it seems these poor, unfortunate souls seek you out. This poor girl must be so distrustfull of humans, and what they can do. Hopefully, she will settle in time.

It sounds like she is being a real good mom - and to have 9 survive, after all she has been through is amazing. Good luck to you

Jan

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Bambi isn't mean, just misunderstood!
Oh, I know that. It isn't her fault at all, it's the people who treated her so badly and made her afraid of humans. Sorry if that came out wrong.

No - I was just playing! She's mean in a sense but it's not her fault.

gentle giants wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Bambi isn't mean, just misunderstood!
Oh, I know that. It isn't her fault at all, it's the people who treated her so badly and made her afraid of humans. Sorry if that came out wrong.

ooooh! cute cute loved the photos. I applaud you for taking that rabbit with you.

Lef deserves a clad from everyone!

:blueribbon::thanks::hugsquish:

grrr cant find the applauding emotion :shock:.. but there are hugs and a blue ribbon and a thanks :biggrin2:

You should take a day of from work if thats posible you sound tired..
Hope you, your bunnies, bambi and the lil ones are doingallrite

Prisca :pinkbouce:

Leaf is definitely a hero to all animals. Her heart is enormous and those babies are so lucky to have ended up being born there.

I can't wait to see them grow.

You saved 10 lives, Leaf. That's a sterling day!

You are proof that good people do exist.

Very sad here this morning. Bambi lost a black, a white and her little silver baby overnight while I was at work.

I was going to say to try and pull some fur too.

What a lucky mama and babies. I know it's a lot to take on, but imagine what would have happened if they wuld have stayed there?!

Sorry some off the babies passed on-is she feeding them ok?

I'm sorry you lost some Leaf... please don't blame yourself. It's readily apparent that she didn't have a steady, well balanced source of nutrition while she was pregnant. I think it's a miracle the babies were born alive at all.

6is a good number for her to raise. She probably only has 7-8 nipple to feed with. :hug:to you.

(edited to correct the math... I suddenly can't subtract!)

You cared enough to make their world a better place.

The fact that you felt sad when their short life came to an end speaks volumes.

Ditto on BlueGiant's comments, too. Tough to combat the poor nutrition (pregnancy term) and then add more milk valves to Bambi's abdomen...

:hearts You cared enough, and keepOnCaring. :angel: ditto. :hug:

... how do we clone a Leaf?

Aww Leaf, I'm so sorry you lost some of the babies. I'm certain that they had much more of a peaceful ending than they would have had they stayed where they were... :(

I hope Bambi and the remaining babies are doing well today.

Treasured Friend is right (and I always love your posts by the way, Treasured Friend, they make me smile so much!)- we need to clone you! There needs to be more leaves in the world :hug:

Latest posts

Back