Neighbor asked to borrow some rabbit pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very common when the mother has been malnourished during pregnancy. Charity was extremely malnourished when I got her, and even though she carried her litter to term, none of the litter made it past 24 hours old. It's very sad, but at least the mother is going to be ok, and hopefully the rest of the babies too.

That is very lucky for her that you took her in. I can't believe someone would take rabbits hunting! What is the purpose of that? Im stunned! I'm sorry for the loss of three of the very preciouse and adorable babies.

I hope that Bambi (great name by the way!)and the rest of the babies do good.

gentle giants wrote:
That is very common when the mother has been malnourished during pregnancy. Charity was extremely malnourished when I got her, and even though she carried her litter to term, none of the litter made it past 24 hours old. It's very sad, but at least the mother is going to be ok, and hopefully the rest of the babies too.

That makes me feel better, but in a sad way. I keep trying to go over what I've done or am doing wrong.

She's alone in a 6' hutch. She has water, hay, pellets (with black oil sunflower seeds), a litter box and a litter box with her nest andbabies in it. The hutch is covered with a sheet but its up in a corner so she can see out. No other animals out there.

I came home from work around 3:00am and checked on them. She has one black baby out on the floor. Its fat and fed and was warm. Looks like she peed in the nest so I got a clean large litter box out for her. I put new shredded newspaper in the bottom, a bit of new hay and lifted the nest of babies into it. I pulled some wet hair out of the nest and then checked on the babies.

Two white ones were very thin and cool. I picked them up and put them in my shirt to warm them while I checked the rest. They are ok so I gotBambi out and flipped her over while I was siting down. One of the warmed babies nursed right away and became more steady. It didnt get as plump as the rest but did fill quite a bit. The other baby Im not so sure about. It was already stretching, chirping and almost "panting". It did nurse but was weak. (I actually fed this one first even though Im writing about it second) It plumped up as well but Im worried about it because of the odd breathing. :(

The three went into a dog crate while I cleaned out the hutch and then I moved the two babies into the nest and put Bambi back. She let me scratch her face a bit before she lunged and boxed at me.

They're settled in for the rest of the night. I'll check on them again after I geta few hours of sleep. I have a doctor appointment in the morning so I'm home after working half a shift. I was so afraid I'd come home to more losses - close, and I don't know if the two are out of the woods yet.

Im kind of saddened about what the morning may bring.

This is exhausting even though I dont feel like Im really doing much at all.

It is exhausting! It's emotionally draining to be on edge and worry about them so much. You just have to know that you are doing all you can for her and the babies.

If she is peeing in the nestbox, move it over. If it's in a corner, move it to the middle of a wall (between corners). Sometimes sliding it over 12-14" makes all the difference. She shouldn't abandon them, she will "find them". And they are young enough, if you want to try and pull a little more fur off her, if you think they need it.

Be calm around her and them. If you get nervous over checking the nestbox, she will sense that and may become defensive. Boxing and charging is normal, she isn't trying to bite you.

Hugs to you for doing this for them... :hug:

Aww Leaf, you are doing so well. They had NO chance before. Now, maybe at least part of the litter will make it and so will Bambi.

Leaf wrote:
I picked them up and put them in my shirt to warm them while I checked the rest.

She let me scratch her face a bit before she lunged and boxed at me.
Well, at least Mama isn't trying to kill you (as much) anymore. And look on the bright side, you got TWO wee itty-bitty-bunneh snuggles, too! :) Good luck! :)

Please don't feel any guilt over the problems the kits are having, Leaf, in a situation like this there is really very little that even the most experienced breeder/rabbit person can do.

:pray:for you and the rest of the babies--and momma, of course.

As of right now I have one black and one white baby still living.

Two of nine - I'm not very optimistic at this point.

:sigh:

I'm sorry Leaf... she probably just doesn't haveit in her to raise them. After everything she's been through, it's a miracle she is still alive. Based on her previous treatment, her milk may be no good.

Here's hoping that the two little ones make it... {{{HUGS}}} to you for trying...

:rainbow:baby bunnies.

Now I need to know, is there any special care Bambi will need now that she has lost the entire litter?

I'd remove the nestbox and clean everything up. Give her a little extra attention. She will probably get over it pretty quick. I'm sure their presence stressed her a little more.

You may find that without them, she calms down pretty quick and may become more "social".

I'm so sorry. (I hate to put this out there, but it may be the best thing for Bambi's sake... as they grew, it would take a lot out of her to raise them.)

omgosh i am so sorry, but it is stil great what you did taking her in.

Q for BlueGiants, polly, GG, others w/tiny ones... :

Should Leaf have Bambi checked for coccidiosis? Our abandoned Momma (found in woods) came to shelter and had a litter; all died despite efforts to help. A few at shelter, a few at our home. One stillborn. We didn't know until later on that Momma had intestinal coccidiosis. She was very thin when she had her babies. The mucousy output worsened. Should Bambi get a parasitic fecal float?

Sending more support 'n' pullin' for that mom you saved. :rose:

Leaf could test if she wants.... if she thinks it's a concern. I'd only have her tested if she is presenting symptoms. If she isn't gaining weight on a proper diet, if the stools are mucousy or runny, if she looks "unthrifty"... poor coat, dull eyes, thin and malnourtished.

In the photo's, she didn't look that bad. The babies could have passed from a number of things. After everything she had been through, I wouldn't be surprised if her milk wasn't good or if she didn't have enough for them.

Leaf wrote:
:rainbow:baby bunnies.

Now I need to know, is there any special care Bambi will need now that she has lost the entire litter?
Leaf, I am so sorry for your losses!. We lost baby bunnies over the summer too and it is so disheartening to lose them even though you haven't known them for very long. You invest so much into their little beings and want so badly for them to grow and flourish.

It must be terribly hard for you and I hope that you know you did your best andin the end - nature does what is best for everyone involved. Now Bambi will be able to recover in your loving home and I'm sure she will appreciate your love and attention.

Good luck to you with her. I hope she can settle down and get well.

BlueGiants wrote:
Leaf could test if she wants.... if she thinks it's a concern. I'd only have her tested if she is presenting symptoms. If she isn't gaining weight on a proper diet, if the stools are mucousy or runny, if she looks "unthrifty"... poor coat, dull eyes, thin and malnourtished.
I agree. If she isn't showing any symptoms, probably is not a concern. Also, I don't know if the vet would want to see her or not along with that test, and you wouldn't want to add to her stress with a vet vist right now.

I'm so sorry you lost them all..... :(

It must be heartbreaking for you, but please know that they were SO much better off with you, and you did all you could. I can't even think about what would have happened to them and Bambi had you not taken them in....

I really hope that Bambi is doing ok, despite her loss....

:hug:

Leaf,

I'm sorry that I'venot been around much on the forum and that I missed this thread. But I think that it's wonderful this bunny wound up with you, a caring and knowledgeable bun owner. :D

Jenk

Latest posts

Back