Neighbor asked to borrow some rabbit pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I must say the mom is beautiful! She has such a pretty face, and yeah, I agree too that she looks like a Cal. I know you said she's pretty upset and aggressive, but can you hold her down long enough to pull some of her fur and line the nest, without overstressing her? That's what I would think to do (any breeders out there, correct me if it's a bad idea). The fur would help to insulate the babies and give them a comfortable nest.

I too was wondering why someone would take rabbits deerhunting, unless it's as somebody suggested...to be used if no deer show up. (I'm sure he wasn't taking them along for the company. :?) I'm just so happy to hear that this girl was rescued, and she's in loving hands. Bless you for that, Leaf. :hug:

Ohhhh the babies are just precious! My Edie is a Cali and she is such a sweet and well behaved bun. It took a few months for her to trust me, but now, she comes to me when I go into her bunny condo or outside pen and she will sit on my lap for hours and watches tv with me, while we "groom" each other. She LOVES to lick me and reminds me of a puppy dog when she gets started. Then she puts her head under my hand when it is my turn to "groom" her.

Words cannot express how much I love that bunny. We rescued her from our neighbors when they left her behind after moving in a small pen outside in 95 degree weather with no food or water. It makes me sick how cruel people can be! But she is a happy and well adjusted bun now.

Edie weighs 10 lbs, soCalis are pretty big buns, but I love it when people are shocked by her size. It cracks everyone up. BTW, you have earned a special place in heaven for taking in that bun and her little ones! God bless you for that!

Here is a pic of Edie...they look a LOT alike! Except for Edie's big dewlap!

Photo_102407_007-1.jpg

Leaf, the nest you made is fine, but needs some fur in it to keep them warm. If the doe will let you, see if you can pull any loose off her belly/dewlap. The hormones from birth will have made it loose and easy to pull. If this isn't possible, try using something like a Snuggle-Safe or heating pad set on low under the nestbox. From the pics, I would say she is feeding them, they don't look starved. Good luck with them...and I have to echo the same question as others-why would you take a rabbit deer hunting??

I can't believe that!:(I am so glad those babies were born with you not them. They probably wouod have killed them!:grumpy:Thank You for taking them in! I agree she does look like a cali but the behaviour is not from being a cali definatly. My cali does are so sweet and laid back. It is probably from not being handled much from birth.... I wish I could help somehow!:?

Aly!:)

That is so awful! Im very happy you took the doe and you saved 9 lives in the process! She probably got pregnant by one of the other rabbits in their with her.

The babies are so cute! I love the black ones! Momma is gorgeous too...thought of a name for her yet? I'd say Angel....but if she doesn't act like one, maybe not. lol. Maybe you could call a baby Angel.....

Emily

Wow Leaf, what a day! Congrads on the babies, enjoy them while you have them.

You should look at this thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=40364&forum_id=8
Some good nest advice with pictures in it.

I like the nest you built, looks like it will work. Is it in a box of some sort box(shoe box, dish bin)? If not, that's the only thing I would do, is just transfer it to something with sides to help keep the babies together.

I also agree with Gentlegiants about the fur. If mom's fur won't come out easily, or she won't let you, you can try using clean cotton balls or clean dryer lint.

All the babies look fat and sassy to me. Make sure to take lots of pictures because they grow up so fast.

--Dawn

My guess for the going rabbit along with him deer hunting would be "Haasenpfeffer". My dad hunts deer and the further you get from society, the weirder the food gets. That's just my guess (my dad hunted on some land with "red-necks" and they would hunt wild ones just for that purpose). Poor bun.

I am so glad that you have her (for now, even)! Those babies are too cute! *squee!*

I still don't get the purpose of the bunny with the deer hunting but man is that bunny ever lucky to have found you! It's quite amazing that a spur of the moment decision you made thinking you were saving one rabbit, ended insaving TEN rabbits. Good on you :rose:

kherrmann3 wrote:
My guess for the going rabbit along with him deer hunting would be "Haasenpfeffer". My dad hunts deer and the further you get from society, the weirder the food gets. That's just my guess (my dad hunted on some land with "red-necks" and they would hunt wild ones just for that purpose). Poor bun.

I am so glad that you have her (for now, even)! Those babies are too cute! *squee!*
ha ha ha now i have to ask what the heck is Haasenpfeffer? lol, wow that was a very long word to spell, and the first time i have ever had to type that,lol, i assume it is something to eat, or something you make with rabbit?

kherrmann3 wrote:
My guess for the going rabbit along with him deer hunting would be "Haasenpfeffer".

Well put! I talked to some guys at work last night and it was simply explained: take frozen meat with you and you have to thaw it, take unfrozen meat with you and you run the risk of spoilage. The solution is to take live along for use as needed.

All 9 babies are doing well this morning. The Mom has pulled some fur for them but she had it spread out everywhere so I put it on top of the babies.

I showed one of my friends pictures of the rabbits (the colorful pic above) and she was quick to pick hers out... I don't know how that will pan out though. They have a long way to go yet and the human factor is always changing.

As for what you guys can do for the buns and I... you're great being here, lending helpful and insightful tips and personal experiences. I dont know what more I could ask for, but please keep an eye out for potential responsible homes. I dont want a situation like this repeated.

I don't know if they can be sexed so young but I'm rooting for an all male crew because it'll save me a ton on neuters in the long run.

I'm not as irked about it today as I was yesterday but still... And naturally, I've tapped a lot of rabbit resources previously among friends, family and aquaintances so I really have my fingers crossed that these aren't extremely hard to place, especially with more of the "plain" attributes they show. The Mom is a REW, so I'm assuming the babies will probably be. No? Anyhow, that'll be another obsticle to overcome. Now what would be neat though is a red eyed black... no possibility though, is there?

I checked in on the crew as soon as I came home - to me it seems that the little pink ones have maybe a bit more white hair on them. The Mom was kind of protective of them though so I didn't poke around too much, just enough to get a positive 9-Alive head count.

OMG!!!!! How incredibly lucky (fateful???) it was that that lovely bunny and her kits are with you. You are an angel! How are the little sweeties doing today? And how is the Momma? No wonder she was grumpy....I was grumpy the day before I had my babies, and I only had one at a time!!!!:p

"Hasenpfeffer" is German for literally "hare pepper". It is a type of rabbit stew, I believe. I took German in high school! Whee! Plus, being from around Milwaukee, there are a lot of Germans here (my last name is Herrmann, who would've thunk German? lol).

They are SOOOO lucky you got to them! I can't say it enough! Just don't be corny and name them after German foods (I've seen it done). Instead, go with something cute like Kaninchen (German for Rabbit) or Häschen (hay-sh-en (Bunny)). :D lol

I could be wrong about coloring, but sometimes don't the kits get different colors as their hair comes in? I mean, the whites could possibly have different (lighter) colors on them, like blonde-ish or dusty-gray? Someone correct me if I'm wrong! Still adorable little fuzz-babies!

Leaf, I know it's not right, but THANK GOD that you ended up getting her just in time!

Those precious little babies are just tugging at my heart. That little black nose on top of the heap is just adorable!

I think Mom should be named BAMBI !!!

Leaf,

A couple of other things that we learned over the summer with our litters was that momma bunnies don't like to nurse when you are watching. She should nurse maybe twice a day if they are lucky. If you can give her privacy that is the best. When our litters were very, very young (newborn) we would drape a sheet over the cage so it was nice and dark and private.

Momma began to feed more when she had more privacy. Make sure that the babies don't get wrinkelly. With one of our litters we literally had to hold momma on her back and put babies (one at a time) on her nipples to nurse because it was obvious they were not getting enough. You may have to do that, but hopefully not.

The other thing we did was make sure that momma had a lot of greens, hay and pellets. She is feeding so many other little beings that she needs more to eat than she normally would. Just be generous with her food.

I'm excited for you. I remember calling home each day (it was summer so kids were out of school) to check on the babies. I would get so excited to see them when I got home and hear about what they did all day. It is really a lot of fun all of the new experiences.

Enjoy them! They will grow terribly fast!

Laura

There is one way to tell what gender they are now, but it can get kinda messy, LOL. If you can take a warm wet washcloth and gentlyrub their little bottoms until they pee, that will tell you--girls will dribble, boys will squirt--and boy do they ever!

:biggrin2:

Leaf wrote:
kherrmann3 wrote:
My guess for the going rabbit along with him deer hunting would be "Haasenpfeffer".

Well put! I talked to some guys at work last night and it was simply explained: take frozen meat with you and you have to thaw it, take unfrozen meat with you and you run the risk of spoilage. The solution is to take live along for use as needed.

stupid people..................:nonono:

i'm glad the babies are doing good:thumbup

Leaf wrote: take frozen meat with you and you have to thaw it, take unfrozen meat with you and you run the risk of spoilage. The solution is to take live along for use as needed.

That disgusts me. But so does killing any animal. I just can't believe how horrible I feel reading that...

Ditto.

Fi-Bar peanut butter crunch chewy/nutty Granola bars.
!Other food choices exist! - ! - !!!!
To ignore the pain and suffering, raw killing of an animal is barbaric.

Leaf, you are a special human who wears a million invisible halos. You'll get tons of verbal support, insightful tips, and encouragement for going to see that deer hunter.

Hmmm, I know someone in Missouri, too, who may know of prospective homes.

{mom/kits}

Quick update, but no pics yet.

Bambi HATES me. She growls, lunges and boxes at me.

She's a good Mom I think. She's pulled a ton of fur out for them and I've added it to their nest. She doesn't put it with them but at least I haven't had to pull any out of her. I cringe at the thought.

All nine are still alive. I moved them around so the thinner ones are on top. Only two weren't all filled up when I checked on them.

I don't know how colors work but today I have 3 black, 5 white (one has darker ears I think) and one is a color that shines. Grey or silver I guess.

She won't let me mess with them much and attacks me when I try to do anything. If I get near the big cat litter box that has their nest in it she's all over me even if it means she steps on the babies and makes them chirp and scream.

Latest posts

Back