Need help/advice on a stray rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL @ Baileysmom and Sooska - I know, I know. I will get photos asap -PROMISE :D

Larry, the social thing worried me too if I hadn't caught her. To think of her living all alone broke my heart, and the fact she can't take her eyes off Jester proves she longed for company.
Well, we had our vet visit and ..... IT'S A GIRL!!!:yahoo:. We are calling her Bonnie, as I've been calling her Bunny for the time I was feeding her and her ears prick up when she hears it (if she'd been a boy, it was going to be Barney!)

They all made a fuss of her at the vets' (my vet & techs there are wonderful). SHe was a bit nervous, but that's understandable. They are amazed at what good condition she's in. They trimmed her nails and cleared wax out of her scent glands, and checked her over. The vet could feel something in her abdomen, possibly ovarian cysts so we will get her in for a spay. Also, there are slight molar spurs, which she will file when she is under for the spay. Other than that, she is great, and they think probably between 1 to 2 years old.

When we got home, Jester was sitting outside her xpen, and he actually binkied when I put her back in. He is such a show off :D. She is recovering from her visit, but I will try and get some photos for tomorrow.

Susan, I shall have to update my blog, and add Bonnie's story there! In the next day or two (hopefully).

Jan

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

What a wonderful story!!!

It reminds me of my Rosie's predicament.

I hope everything works out for the bestest for all of you!!

:pray:

Awwwww such a sweet sweet story. How lucky that she found you and you found her. It sounds like she and Jester would get along great. I've always found strays to be particularly happy buns. I guess it's because they are so scared out there on their own that they really appreciate being home again. How rewarding!

We definitely need pictures though :p

OK ... PHOTOS!!!:biggrin:

These were taken last night and are a bit grainy. I've taken some more today, but have yet to upload them.

DSCN3149.jpg

url]
DSCN3151.jpg

DSCN3150.jpg

DSCN3137.jpg

In the last one, you get an idea of how small she is by Johns' hand.

She hasn't really eaten much since yesterday - a bit of salad, kale and some hay, but then she isn't used to eating regularly. She is still peeing and pooping alright though.

And we have had a break through with Jester :). We let her out of the cage for a bit, and she and Jester met face to face and ... it went really well. They sniffed each other, he shoved his head under her chin for a grooming and when she didn't he chased her briefly, then they ignored each other. Today, she has explored a bit of the basement, and he has followed her, then they lay near each other. I am so proud of Jester, as he is being quite the gentleman, which is a very hard thing for him to do ;)

I will update more later :)

Jan

OMG she is absolutely beautiful and to be running around on her own, the poor little thing. I'm so happy that for the most part they seem to be getting along. Whohooo, I love happy endings.

Oh, wow, just read through this thread! Glad it has a happy ending(so far!). She looks such a pretty bunny, well done you for saving her.

OH Jan she is Beautiful. For a Bunny who has been living outside for a winter her fur is lovely.

Is she the same colour as myVega?

I''m so happy that Jester seems to like her. They will make a very "Good Looking" couple.

I look forward to many many more pictures.

Susan:)

What a beautiful bun! So glad Jester seems to approve. Thank you for giving her a second chance and a forever home!

:big kiss:

Bonnie is sooooo adorable. Thank you for saving her and providing a good home for her. Jester: good job for being a gentleman, keep it up ok.

We thank you for your nice comments :).

Susan, I guess she is similar to Vega now I think about it - creamy white with brown points and light brown on her back.

Well, it's been a funny couple of days. Jester and Bonnie met 'properly' and ran around together exploring. Jester kept mounting Bonnie, and at first she was submissive, then she mounted him :shock:. The look of shock on his face was priceless :D, But he didn't attack her. He just kept on mounting her over and over, and though I was tempted to stop it, I know it's a natural dominance thing. Anyways, she eventually gave up and was submissive all the time, and now things are wonderful. They can be together chasing around, but they also have time out in their own space. As I write this, Jester has come upstairs and is sitting with me, while Bonnie is still exploring in the basement.

I was worried yesterday, as she didn't seem to eat anything but a few mouthfulls of hay. So I went to a local organic shop and bought some trays of wheat grass. Success, she loves it. I guess with living wild for months, she isn't really used to getting fed. Of course, I had to buy the grass, as we still have a lot of snow laying, and I doubt we will see the garden any time soon. She is so full of energy, though that I think she even has Jester tired out :D.

I have her booked in for a spay on 12th April, so hopefully that will deal with the spraying - I had forgotten how much an unfixed bunny can spray. John, Jester and myself have all been covered :yuck

|I have a few pics from when Jester and Bonnie were together the first time.

Bonnie002.jpg

Oohh, the gate is open!

Bonnie001.jpg

I think I'll have a little look outside.

Bonnie007.jpg

Hmmm, I can smell that other bunny (who is watching in the background)

Bonnie005.jpg

Chinning mommies leg

Bonnie004.jpg

What's up here?

Bonnie008.jpg

Dare I get any closer?

Bonnie003.jpg

Hey, I'm sure that's supposed to be my litter box!

:) Jan

Hey Jan they are going to make the cutest couple. I just love your Jester and Bonnie is a real looker too.:biggrin2:

Now here's a real dumb question. What the heck is Wheat Grass? Maybe my babies would like. I try to give them new treats every once in a while.

Susan:)

OMG I am so surprised you did not bring her home sooner! I could NOT have left her all alone. Her coat had to stand out except when there was snow. Such a lovely lady. So glad she is now living with you and "dating" such a gentlebun. Good luck with the rest of the bonding!

This was a great story! She is so beautiful, I'm glad you took the risk of rescuing her. It sounds like she's in good hands, for sure!

Our Chestnut was an outdoor stray too, and she took much longer to warm up to us--she still won't tolerate being picked up. But she's a wonderful addition to our home.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to updates!

Latest posts

Back