Need help/advice on a stray rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, everyone.

Petalfuzz, I am so suprised how quickly Bonnie has adjusted and settled in. I really thought with having been outside and alone for so long, she would be more 'wild'. However, she loves attention, and craves nose and cheek rubs :D.

Susan, the wheatgrass I guess, is just a different type of grass - it is thicker than we have in the garden. I bought another tray today, as she loves it. Luckily, if I keep it watered and in sunlight, it keeps growing (so far, anyways). I also bought some orchard grass hay, and she loves that too. I have syringed her a little Critical Care, just as a precaution, and she seems to like that as well :)
Well, she has been here a week today, and ....... we have snuggling :yahoo:. Jester has stopped mounting her now she has become submissive, and they lay together a lot - she even rests her head on him. It is just wonderful (and pretty amazing) how well he has taken to her. For those that don't know about Jester, he actually bit Shadows' nose off, and Shadow had to have an operation. He did get on OK with Georgia, but he has really taken to Bonnie big time. When we were syringing Critical Care, he was really concerned that we may be doing something bad, and kept tugging at my trouser leg. As soon as we put her down, he went and groomed her - too cute!

I shall try and get some pictures of them snuggling together, and I'll keep you updated. At the moment, though, it is going so much better than I had dared to hope :)

Jan

Jester knows a good thing when he sees it.
And when he tugs at your pant legs, he was saying, "Hey Mom, I want some Critical Care too." :pleaseplease:

Lovely pictures; she's a beautiful girl, and they make a very handsome couple! It really sounds like it was meant to be. :)

Thinking about Bonnie getting her spay today. Jan must be a nervous wreck, worried if there will be any complications.
I will be dropping off a bale of hay for Jan today, but I don't know if she will be home when I am there.

Thanks, Stan and Janet. It's been a stressful day, for me, Bonnie and Jester.

Dr Steele said the spay was a bit more complicated than usual as Bonnie was in the midst of a full heat (which explains the nest building she has been doing the past week.

She is home now, looking very sorry for herself :(. I have 2 pain meds for her - Metacam once a day, and Torbogesic (sp) every 4-6 hours. She hasn't eaten anything yet, but has had a drink. I have a heat pad and blanket in with her to keep her warm.

Jester has been on edge all day, checking all 'their' places. He has seen her since she came home but has come upstairs with me. The vet advised keeping them seperate, with only supervised visits for the next week.

I hate seeing her so sad. Please keep good thoughts going for her.

Jan

Good to hear that she is out of surgery. She should bounce back soon. They always seem so sorry for themselves the first few days.

When I go Amelia spayed, she had been living with Korr for about 2 months. I put her on the top level of their cage and blocked it off so that Korr could come up to visit though the bars but they could not actually interact too close. After she had healed, they bonded back together right away.

Could you try putting her recovery cage net to Jester so they can at least see and smell each other. It might not be perfect, but at least they will have each other close by.

Thanks for the reply, Kate.

I guess Jester can visit outside her cage (Jester isn't in a cage except at night). They will be able to lay near to each other, with the bars between them. At the moment, he seems to know she isn't herself, and has come upstairs to leave her alone.

I saw your Amelia at the Rabbit Hopping at Bonnie Doon - she is a sweetheart :)

Jan

Glad Bonnie had a successful surgery. Dr Steele does a good job. She spayed Bebe when I had her done. Give Bonnie time to adjust post-surgery and to start her recovery. Keep her confined so she can't injury herself. Did you buy her a new toy? :biggrin2:

You get some rest yourself, so you can administer the medicine for Bonnie for the next day or so.

Get Well Bonnie. Jan will give you extra parsley to help heal you. Jester misses you, and can't wait to give you bunny snuggles when you are better.

Awe... poor little Bonnie... I hope she starts eating for you soon so you won't have to fuss with her too much if it has to come to syringe feeding.

:pray:

Well, Bonnie still hasn't eaten, and still seems so uncomfortable. We've syringed her a little Critical Care, and will give her some more before bed.

I've brought her upstairs, as I thought she'd be too cold in the basement. We've partitioned some of Jester's room for her, and she seems to have settled down. Jester is very happy to have her next to him, but is being a good boy, and isn't bothering her.

I really hope Bonnie starts eating soon. Of course, she had her teeth filed as well, so I guess that could be part of the problem. Fortunately, she is good at taking the CC.

Jan

:( Bonnie is back at the vet.

She hadn't eaten anything all night, no poops or pee, and she had hardly moved from the position she was in. I took her back and saw a different vet. I mentioned that I noticed that her upper lip seemed a bit swollen, and asked if it was due to having her teeth filed. However, when they looked and took her temperature, they think she could have had an allergic reaction to something yesterday. Though they've seen it in some dogs they haven't in a rabbit.

So, they've taken her off all the meds they gave me yesterday (the Metacam is honey flavoured, and she could be allergic to bee products). They've given her saline, and injected a painkiller (not sure what it's called yet, but I will have to inject her with it when she comes home ). They also want her to have some children's Benedryl for the allergy. They've kept her for the afternoon, and I have to go and pick her up later.

I feel so bad for my poor little girl :(

Jan

Thanks for the update, Jan.

Poor Bonnie... It's not fun when things don't go according to plan/schedule. I hope they are able to stimulate her appetite again. How long are you supposed to watch her with the new meds? I hate it when things like this get so close to the weekend...

Oh Jan, poor Bonnie, I sure hope she feels better real soon.

You and Jester must be going crazy with worry . Can you leave Jester in with her? Maybe he will help her relax. Bunnies can be so healing to each other, I know I saw it when I had Wilbur & Jackie and now I see it withWinston & Vega. Just being with each other when one isn't feeling well i find really helps.

Good thoughts and lots of prayers for Bonnie.:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Hugs to you and Jester:hug1:hug::feelbetter::happybunny::happybunny:

Susan:)

I hope you have some good news for us today...

Did spending an evening with Jester helpimprove her activities? I bet Jester appreciated the company. It sounds like he is so attatched to Bonnie already.

Latest posts

Back