Need help/advice on a stray rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I became aware of a stray bunny early last summer. I had seen it around, and when I saw it in someone's garden, I knocked at the door and asked if it was theirs. It wasn't, but apparently 2 were released by someone as they were unwanted (probably Easter gifts :X), and this one survived and went in all the local gardens. I kept seeing it occassionally throughout the summer and autumn, but could never get near it.

In November, I discovered it had made a burrow under trees in someone's front yard, and every day since then, I have been putting food and hay down for it. Somehow, it has made it through our winter - temperatures of -30 and the most snowfall in 30 years. It has got to know me, and now comes when I call "Bunny" and lets me pet it.

Now, I am in dilemma. Do I continue to let it live, on its' own, and worry about it being hit by traffic, dogs/coyotes killing it, excess heat in the summer - or do I try and catch it and bring it home? I don't know if anyone has experience of bringing a rabbit home after it has lived 'wild' for as long as it has. Would it be too much for the rabbit to cope with, or could it adapt to being a pet once again? I thought about taking it to the Humane Society, but then it would be kept in a cage for goodness knows how long, and may even be euthanised if it isn't able to be domesticated.

Then, I have my 3 rabbits. If it's a female, I was hoping it may bond with Jester - he hates Shadow(male), but has become friends with Georgia. If they didn't bond, then I have the problem of where to put a 4th bunny.

I really need help with this, as I'm totally at a loss what to do. I did speak to someone at a local rabbit rescue, but they are at capacity, and couldn't help. I want to do what's best for this poor little thing (who is exceptionally cute), but I have to consider my bunnies too.

Any advice/comments appreciated :?

Jan

[align=center]I would definitely catch the bunny. The bunny may be skittish at first, but I believe if someone could work with him/her and he/she will grow to love them =)

If you could find someone here on RO or someone you know to house the bunny, that could always work. I'm surprise the bunny as lasted that long to be honest.

Good luck... and keep us updated! =D

I'd say catch it first, Jan.
Life is short and hard for him/her otherwise... doing well so far, but I think that those lucky feet may run out of luck...

To me, it sounds like he/she can be domesticated - heck, it responds to its name "bunny!" (Even mine don't do that unless it suits them).

Domesticity is bred into animals to some degree - he/she doesn't sound too feral.

If things didn't pan out for indoors bunny, you could build him/her a hutch in your yard, eh?

We actually had a case that was similar, except the only real difference was that his main him was in his "owners" yard (They said he was techincally their rabbit, but all that really meant was that it spent some time in their yard and they saw it occasionally, when we actually caught him they didn't care what happened to him) was the spot he kept returning to.

We actually had to catch Oreo with a butterfly net when he was running through traffic, so you're already a few steps ahead of us, but he adjusted fine to coming inside, just molted extremely heavy for a while, even litter trained him pretty easy, and we found a home for him no problem and that was with him living wild for a few months.

I would say it's better to take it in, although it may have done well so far, predators and traffic can take a poor bunny like *that*.

Aw, definitely take him in!If he's letting you pet him, he's not that "wild"!;)Eventhough he seems to be doing well on his own, it doesn't mean he wouldn't be happier in a secure home where he doesn't have to stress and worry all the time about what might eat him. And if he likes to be outside, you can always let him have outside time every day in your backyard.

JMVHO

Hope it helps!

Rue

I would try yo catch him. It is doing him no good to be outside like that. Even if you can't keep him, I am sure you can find someone to help you find him a home.
If you do manage to catch him, I would keep him away from your rabbits for a few weeks. You don't know what he may have or could have picked up being outside. Better to not risk your rabbits health. Since it has been cold out lately, you might want to put him in the basement or coolest part of the house to help keep him comfortable as he will have lots of winter coat.

Awww, we had people here last night who bought one of our great dane puppies and when they seen our rabbit they said they had one named Oreo (which we do too) that was a lop eared rabbit that they caught outside. They seemed to be pretty happy with it. So I would say it is possible. I just can't believe people would release them in the wild like that. There are soo many different sites and stuff to post them where people are WILLING to give them good homes.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Thank you all for your input :)

So, I decided to catch the bunny. I went with food today, called it and it came straight out. I petted it for a bit, and then managed to grab it. Unfortunately, it wriggled free before I could reach the carrier, and ran off!

I came home really annoyed with myself, so John (my husband) went and sat in the car beside the trees for an hour, when I went to join him. The bunny came back out, did a few binkies, ate some food and ... John managed to get it and put it in the carrier :clapping:

We have made an area with Jester's xpen in the basement, and he/she is there at the moment, looking very scared, but OK. Of course, Jester had to investigate, and before we could stop him, he went and introduced himself through the bars. No aggression like he does with Shadow, and they touched noses a few times, so I'm hoping it's female and maybe, just maybe, things will be alright :pray:. I have left her/him alone to settle down and will check in a bit later.

John is out now buying a new xpen for Jester :D.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will keep you all updated :)

Jan

oooh i am so excited for you!!!!! i think its a great thing you did by rescuing that poor bunny! it sounds like its going to be a nice one from the things you said about it. like it will be friendly and happy to have found a forever home. Flash Gordon, another bunny rescuer on this site has "caught " many bunnys left to fend for them selves. I think its awesome! be sure to post some pics of your new addition!!

SUPER JAN does it again! :great:

Rescues another bunny from its plight. What a lucky "Bunny" to be brought in by you.

I am so happy for you. At first I was worried if you wanted another bunny, and how it would get along with the others. Signslook good if Jester is willing to accept a new friend. :biggrin:

Aww, thanks everyone:blushan:

Rue - I know, when it got free I thought I'd blown it, and that it would take months to win it's confidence back!

I have to tell you, this little bunny has amazed me. Far from showing any signs of being wild, it is a sweetheart. Loves nose rubs/ear rubs and being made a fuss of. In fact, it keeps doing dead bunny flops, and even likes it's belly rubbed :D. It comes to me as soon as I go into the pen, chins me, and yes, Stan, I even got a kiss (OK, my fingers did smell of banana at the time, but hey, a kiss is a kiss ;)). And, after two hours, was using the litter box :shock:.

Jester won't leave the basement. He has tried to lunge at her through the bars, but no nipping, and she(he) can't take her eyes of him, and is quite happy to lay at the side of the cage near him. Jester was even sitting at the basement door before I opened it to go down there.

So, I have an appointment at the vet tomorrow, so I will know for definite what sex it is. Also, to give it a thorough check over, though she looks in great shape. It hasn't eaten much in the way of pellets, but has eaten veggies and hay, and we have healthy looking poops, so perhaps pellet eating will come later.

I will let you know how we get on at the vet, and, hopefully, get some photos taken :)

Jan

Bunnies are amazingly social creature. I came home from the vet with a new adoptee and there was a little Dutch on our front lawn. I called to her and she came right over and let me pick her up and hold--so, it was off to the vet again.

Oh my goodness Jan, what a lucky Bunny to have found you.

We definetely need pictures.:rollseyes:lookaround:weee::rofl::yahoo::clapping::pinkbouce:

Susan:biggrin::):D

Latest posts

Back