Need help/advice on a stray rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for thinking of us :hug:

It has been a pretty tough day. Bonnie has to have the painkiller injected twice a day, the Benedryl twice a day and syringe fed 4 times a day. I feel like a really cruel mommy :(.

We had a few poops this morning, but not much since, and she really doesn't want anything to do with food. I have tried her with everything, but she just turns her head away :(. On top of all that, Jester started lunging at her through the cage bars, and pulled fur. I really hope that is just a temporary thing :(.

On the plus side, Bonnie seems a bit perkier, and has explored her new cage a bit today. We also had snuggle time, which made me feel a lot better. I just wish she would eat something - how long will she be OK on Critical Care? I am giving her the amount the vet suggested (around 50 mls a day).

Please keep positive thoughts coming

Jan

Try some stage 2 baby foods. When my Ellie was so bad off, I was told to use peas, carrots, and squash. She really liked the carrots, but also didn't mind the peas. Squash wasn't a big hit, but then I fed her pumpkin for the long fibers. Bonnie sounds like she is really in need of the long fibers to keep her gut moving; hay, Critical Care, and pumpkin. :D

:pray:It's okay to eat, Bonnie. Eating makes you big and strong... :)

Jan, good thoughts for you and Bonnie.:pray::pray::pray:

When Buttercup was really ill a couple of years ago, we fed him Critical Care for a;most a week until he was eating on his own. I agree with the pumpkinI also give apple sauce (no sugar added) to the bunnies too when they are not feeling well.

You better tell Jester to behave to his new "Love" I would hazard a guess it's because she smells like the Vets office. I remember when Wilbur & Jackie became unbonded because Jackie was sick and at the Vets for a few hours. It took us 3 months to re-bond them. Longest 3 months of my life.

Susan:)

Awww I'm sorry that she isn't doing too well. I wish her a full and speedy recovery! I agree with Susan about the vet smell. It's happened to my buns too so I think that plays a big role in it. They'll probably be fine once it wears off. :)Thinking of you guys!

If Bonnie continues to eat CC, I would keep giving it to her. Did you try soaking parsley or carrot tops in water to see if she will eat it? Does she like oats? Do you have Nutri-Cal?

Poor girl. My husband thought I was nuts but when one of my bunns had to go to the vet earlier this week I took all three. They are newly bonded and I didn't want to risk the other two teasing her for smelling like the vet.

You can also mix the critical care with cool chamomile tea to make it relaxing and tasty. :pray:

Thank you all for your concern and advice. I was afraid Bonnie was just fading away, and all the syringing/medicating has taken its toll on both of us.

Up until this afternoon, she wouldn't even look at food of any kind - carrot tops/veggies/grass/hay/oats/treats - nothing. Then, this afternoon, I saw her nibble a couple of blades of hay, and she had a piece of Melba toast. She also jumped into Jester's litter box and had a few poops :). She has also seemed a lot happier in herself. I would feel better if she was eating more, but anything is better than before.

We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning, so hopefully they will see some improvement. And I hope she starts getting better soon - I haven't had much sleep this week worrying about my little girl:expressionless

Thanks again :)

Jan

Well, dare I say things seem to be improving???

I saw Dr Steele at the vet, and she seemed quite pleased with Bonnie's recovery (apart from the not eating). Her incision site is doing good, and the swelling from the allergic reaction is much better. Her temperature is back to normal, and there isn't any redness/soreness in her mouth :)

Bonnie has actually had a few mouthfulls of grass and hay today, and although the poops are small, at least there are some. So, I don't have to give the Benedryl anymore and the painkiller only has to be injected twice a day instead of 3. We have cut the Critical Care from 10 mls 4 times a day, to 5 mls - it's possible that she's not been eating as she isn't hungry. However, if she still doesn't eat, then I guess we will increase again, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Dr Steele is phoning me from home tomorrow just to check on how she is doing. Everyone at the vets has been wonderful - both vets, the techs, nurses and reception have all been great :).

This pm, Bonnie has been exploring the living room (Jester has taken himself to the basement) then going and flopping back in the cage. We even had a dead bunny flop. I also snuggled up with her on the floor, and she went fast asleep and was dreaming (twitching nose and flickering eyelids) - too cute!

So I am a bit more hopeful :)

Jan

Most wonderful news, Jan!!!! I hope this improvement keeps up!!

You might want to try some bene-bac with Bonnie. Antibiotics can mess up the flora in a bunny's gut. When Patrick was on antibiotics for his dental, his poo's were extremely tiny. I went back to the vet, and ended up with bene-bac for the flora. I had to give him extra doses for a few days, and then cut him back to twice, and then once a day until poo's were back to normal.

Hope that helps...

myheart

LuvaBun wrote:
We even had a dead bunny flop.
That would give me a scare. :D

Good that things are coming around. Maybe try mixing CC and leave it in a bowl for her to eat on her own.

Did Dr. Steele charge you for the Check-up?

Pet_Bunny wrote:

Did Dr. Steele charge you for the Check-up?
Nope :biggrin:. My bill came to just over $3 for more painkiller and extra needles/syringes. My vet rocks :D (and it's thanks to you for introducing me in the first place :))

Janet, Bonnie hasn't been on antibiotics as they weren't sure if she would be allergic to them, and also they didn't want to upset her digestive system, but knowing about bene-bac is very helpful - thank you :)

OK, I have to tell you that right at this moment, Jester and Bonnie are out together in the living room with us. After an initial brief chase, Jester had a good sniff of Bonnie, and now they seem to be friends again :yahoo:. Hopefully she may feel more relaxed now and that may make her feel more like eating (I live in hope ;)). I may get some sleep tonight after all, Stan!

Jan

Yea!!! I'm so happy for Bonnie and Jester. You're right, Jester might stimulate her to eat a bit more. Maybe they will nom on hay together... ;)

Well, things are good :)

Yesterday, I only gave Critical Care in the morning and at bedtime as Bonnie was nibbling on things throughout the day, and we had a good number of poops. She and Jester had settled down together, and she spent a lot of time exploring the family room. My vet called from home to see how 'her little friend Bonnie'was doing:D

Today, I haven't had to give her any pain meds or CC, and she is active and eating almost as normally as she was before the operation. I carried to the basement where Jester was playing, and she was so happy when she realised where she was, we had binkies galore :). Then Jester groomed her, and she just melted -it was such a cute moment.

So, I am really hopeful that we are through the worst. I will give some CC tonight, as I was before her spay as she doesn't eat pellets, but she is eating hay and veggies and the wheat grass.

Thanks everyone for your support. Next time I will get an already altered bunny, and save myself all the stress ;)

Jan

It is really good news that the worst is over. It has been 22 days since you (Gotcha) brought Bonnie in from the cold, and alot of things have changed for her. Now she needs the time to finally settle down and establish a routine in her life.

Give Bonnie a hug for me. :hug2:

Latest posts

Back