Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your pets are really cute!!!!:)

Thanks!

So, I decided to ramble since I have no TV and I am bored.
Rant:

So as of now, I have 2 chinchillas, 2 rabbits, 2 parakeets, 1 cat, 1 hamster, 3 geckos, 3 bettas, and a 10 gallon fish tank.

Now, to me this is not alot. It doesn't even sound like a lot to me. But I got the comment "thats too many pets" from a stranger.

My boyfriend thinks its too much, but he thinks 1 rabbit is too much, lol.

Then today, I had to rush to petsmart to get hay and hamster food, which made us late and took forever to get home since that is when the storm hit,
Then I get home, almost get in trouble with the landlord,
step into my apartment, spend 45 mins putting new chin fleece items up and making toys,
15-20 setting up the hamsters cage,
Spend another 20 cleaning betta bowls and my fish tank
Another 15 to vacumn bunny cages and get greens,
and about another 10 feeding the geckos and parakeets.

By the end of it, I was frustrated. I don't know if its because I felt bad today and really lazy, or what. I also think its because I had SO much one day..usually I clean the fish sunday, the cages another day, ect ect.

But even with days like today, I don't think I have too many. Its like, so what? I give my animals a great home and habitat, why not?

I sincerly ENJOY the company of animals..and that is it. James has even learn to enjoy the company of them despite the work and irritations.

And not only that, but I don't even feel like I have a lot of animals! In fact..I want more! I would like to get a male parkakeet, a crested gecko, and a third chinchilla. Maybe a third rabbit, but not for a long time.

I guess I am just frustrated..
And at james for all the "limits" I have..I mean some of them are reasonable but sometimes I feel constricted. :/

Anyways, time to get off.

Ahh Myia I feel your pain, I just love animals, And at the moment I feel I could manage more but I'm just not allowed, Sometimes you just gotta be happy with what you got!

Myia...how long have you and James been together and living together? If its too personal, then sorry for asking!

Ryan has his limits, too. He's learned to "deal with me" sometimes, though....LOL! I am just glad he lets me take in fosters, but then keeps reminding me that they are NOT staying. I can also only take in 1 foster at a time - right now it is just bunnies. I already have 3 cats of my own and then 1 cat is my MIL's whom I am cat-sitting for for the next 3 years because she moved to WI and pretty much just dumped the cat on us because we moved into her house to rent from her. I have 1 dog, but I would possibly like another one day...or to start fostering through a rescue. I have 4 bunnies of my own with no intentions of adding a permanent 5th due to space issues & time constraints currently. Then I have my 4 rat boys, whom are all almost 14 months old and probably won't live to see past age 2. After the rats pass...then I am taking a break from them.

Having to care for 4 cats, 4 rabbits, 4 rats, and 1 dog on a daily basis (no help from Ryan) can be a bit much somedays (especially if I've had a bad day)...but I just do it and I'm okay the next day.

I know it took me a long while to figure out what my limits were, so that I could be physically and emotionally comfortable with caring for them.

Everyone has their own limits, if you are an animal lover and enjoy caring for your pets, you are going to have different limits to people who don't. I have 4 ducks, 3 chickens, 3 cats, 2 dogs, 10 rabbits, 2 (soon to be 3 :biggrin2:) guinea pigs.

I would take on more in a heart beat! Other people spend tons of time and moneyon their hobbies, why shouldn't I? That is how I see it :p

Jessica if you read the bigger post, I said that. I also gave him his "toys" after I took this photo. :)

James and I have been living together for going on six months. The "limits" used to be more reasonable (to me) but now they are way tighter.

As for MY limit..I used to rehab animals..I had one time 3 piggies, 10 geckos, 2 degus, 6 hamsters, 2 chinchillas, 1 monitor lizard, gosh even more that I can't even think of. And I did fine. I am not overwhelmed by the animals I have now..I was just trying to vent that I was frustrated. Not to mention the 650 I just dropped on all the animals, and I am not even finished. :/

We talked about it this morning..and he agreed to be more open. Like I really want to get a 3rd chinchilla, who would go in the same cage as my other two, but he was saying no. Now he said it is ok, which makes me feel better. Hopefully it works out.

That is great that you did animal rehab! Well, hopefully one day you two will come to terms and agree more with the animal things. It took Ryan and I a long while to finally come to terms with each other.

On the other hand...I just begged for a Staffordshire Terrier puppy mixed with a mixed breed Terrier.....uhm....that was a VERY strong "NO!". I even had our Doxie/Min Pin mix give Ryan massive puppy dog eyes and he still said NO....hahaha.

I go through time where I need my kitten, puppy, baby rat, or baby bunny "fix" and beg to get one....usually all I need to do is go to the shelter or something and hold them....but then I pout for days after wards that I "must have one!!!".

Yeah,I am trying to get back into rehab, which is why I am taking in a bunny foster.
I don't think I need a "Fix" but I get excited.
I got reaaaaally excited about breeding my geckos, and bought a bunch of geckos that weren't in my original plans. I am now down to my original 4 that I was suppossed to have.
I got super excited about rabbits, and I am glad my mom took in two of mine, not becuase I could not care for them, but they were "impulse" buys, which I know is horrible. Plus I was not bonding to them.
But I think I do have it figured out..I have at one point of my rehabilitation I reached my limit, and with what animals. So I do know better.

James also pointed out my new years resolution #1 was to make time for ME..instead of it being all about the animals, which so far as failed. I had saved up money to go shopping, and it was spent on the chinchilla cage. I don't regret the hamster at all, but I see what he means. Instead of me time, I am investing more into animal time.

Which is confusing, because my animals do make me happy. So what do you do???

I would be happy with the animals I have now, and then
1 male parakeet to go with the 2 females in the same cage,
1 beige chinchilla to go with my other 2 in the same cage,
1 crested gecko I have been waiting patiently for but haven't found the "one" yet, lol
And I would also like an outside tortise but that is a total option.

As far as my leopard geckkos go, I am allowed under 15 not including hatchlings. I only have 4! lol, I am allowed so much because I breed very high end geckos, and I make profit. I would like to add 2 more, another male and female snow enigma to increase my chances of super snow enigmas.

But like, we agreed on no rats, or another hamster (Which breaks my heart) or any other mammal.

I will be getting a dog once I move into a larger place, but that is not for another 11 months.

So I guess that is fair looking at it. Sometimes it is just hard when you see some cute hamster or rabbit and your heart just melts :/

I should also add I am not allowed to have snakes..only because James hates snakes, which is a HUGE bummer. I had to sell my 2 milksnakes when me moved in together. :/

Hey check your FB messages.....its important!

Hey Myia I can't believe I missed your post about your new chinchilla cage, OMG Ferret nations truly are the bomb, After I get my rabbits sorted out I plan to get a ferret nation more then likely it will have to be a birthday present as there like €400 to buy but I think it would be worth it to make my chinchilla's happy, I'm also SO tempted to add another chinchilla but thankfully I have two males so It would be pretty hard to do, My question is, What genders are your two chinchillas at the moment?

Aw no snakes. I've been looking into getting a pair of ball pythons sometime in the future, but can't decide what morphs I'd want to work with.

That's like what my fiance is like with cats though. He doesn't care how many animals I have, or what kinds, but he said he really doesn't want me to get any cats. I'm okay with that for now, but think I might have to try to change his mind someday when we get our own house.

I want more pets too, and people tell me everyday that I have to many. Especially my parents. They're always complaining about how many pets I have, even though they don't even live near us. I can't figure out why they care, but whatever.

Bummer about your landlord. We really lucked out with ours, they don't really care about our pet situation. I'm sure it helps that I take really good care of them and keep the apartment really clean all the time. The only time we ever had a problem, was one time one of my fishtanks leaked and damaged the apartment downstairs. But even then the landlord wasn't too upset, he just told us to be more careful.

But I do feel somewhat limited living in an apartment with what types and how many animals I can take in. Like, I really want a pair of sugar gliders, but haven't gotten them because I'm afraid they might be too loud during the night and bother the other tenents. I'd love another dog in the future as well, but think that it would be better if we waited until we have our own house. And even though I love rabbits, I think I'm pretty much maxed out because of the amount of space they take up. I could probably comfortable fit one more rabbit in the rabbit room, but no more than that. I told my fiance that I'm going to try to just be happy with the pets we have for awhile, so we'll see what happens.

Although I don't have the variety of animals you have. I have had to set limits on myself when it comes to rabbits. When I go to a show, I will see a rabbit, I have to tell myself no you have enough. Even though I could come home with 10 rabbits sometimes.

*Kills blackberry for not posting her super long reply that took forever to write*

Ok, redo.
Jessica, your misreading my posts. If you read my original long post, which is right above the photo of Brownies cage, I put "I need to put tape since its mesh"
In the reply you sent, I responded with Yes, I do know it needs to be coverd I already said that,
and that I added some toys to the cage too after I added that photo.

Paul, I have 2 males. I was SUPER lucky in the bonding..it was no problem at all. A little fur flying, thats all. Chinchillas can bond with same sex just find, but I do hear its harder with females though!! Of course you know not to get a unspayed female to go with them ;)
I do not know of any clinics that spay chinchillas over here in AZ anyways. I am getting a 3rd male..a beige or violet and hopefully the bonding process goes well. If not, I will be adding a 3rd leval to my Ferret Nation and "close" it off so he has his seperate level.

I just got my shelves in for the cage, but it was dropped at my apartment office and its sunday, so I can't pick it up until tomorrow. I also think I didn't order enough..I didn't realize how big the cage was going to be, lol. So I only order 2 18 in long and 1 12 inch long..and I already have 4 tiny ones. Soooo the cage STILL wont be finished *grubmle grumble* but I am going to wait to put the shelves up, see what I need, then order.

Yeah, DragonRain I am glad James is okay with all the pets I feel are "Must" pets..snakes are really optional. I really love Lucy's, and bumblebee ball pythons. So pretty, but my favorite is just plain albino's.
I guess I am really lucky because James really LOVES the animals too..sincerly..and gets involved. He will help clean (Sometimes) but will help pet, play, ect with them and really cares about them. :)

So, I am working a 10 hour shift watching my client, and I get the freedom of using the internet.
So more rants! lol!

I left Friday night to the in laws and got back about 1 am last night. I tried taking brownie out of the cage, and he was scared and hesitant. It took awhile to get him out. It was also very wierd..I am so used to just picking up Fluffy and not getting bite that it was startling to go through the taming process again. But once he was out, he was fine. He was also being soooo cute!!! I have never been a big fan of the "brown" regular syrians, but he has my heart. He is just SO big..I feel like his cage is too small. You can see him in the photo, and I would like people's opinion. I don't really like leval cage for syrians since they are more prone to falling and are not as active climbers as dwarfs, but idk. It also blows the other cage is about $80 for the multi level, but is acutally smaller in lenght.

I am starting on the gecko cages, measuring out all the supplies. It will be completley DIY..I am making a really kick as habitat..It will be a rock wall with connecting hides and ledges. what you do is carve out styrofoam and cover it with groat, paint, and seal it and there you go. It looks like natural rock. It is really pretty. Here is an example, although mine will of course be different

It probably won't be done for 2 weeks, since I forgot the supplies at my in laws, and it will take another week of acutal doing. But I of course will post photos.

I am down to two 20 gallon cages, one on top with my two females and the bottom with 1 male. I was going to try to get another pair, but I am so strapped for money I just can't. Maybe next season :(
And I found out my females probably WONT be ready to breed this season too! UGH! They are just too small. Maybe twoards the end of the season (late summer):/

So, the bunny cages are NIC and been under construction. Currently my lionhead is in 42 in by 28n by 14in, and my english lop in 70 in by 28 by 14 in.
I MAY had another panel to my lionhead's cage, but I don't think I may have room. I also have to add the 2nd leval so it will be tall enough for the EL.
I currently use only fleece blankets as bedding, and chewbacca is not using the litter box since she needs to be spayed. Sheriff is pee wise, but I am sure that will change with maturity. I do have pee stains, which I am pretty angry about but I just dont know what to do. I really want Sheriff to be free range, but Furrari has been a little rough on the buns so it just would not work all the time. Plus chewbacca can't because she loves to chew.

I will be getting more photos of the buns! lol, all the other animals have been getting the attention!

I need to schedule Chew's spay, just have not found the money or time. I may have extra money, but I have to pay my rent on the 1st before I make that decision. It will be before May though.

Sheriff is just the friendlist rabbit ever..always wanting attention. He is just like a dog, he LOVES to be petted..will just sit there while you pet him, lol.
He is still sneezing once and awhile however, which makes me concern. I decided to watch it a little bit, and if need be take him to the vet.

Chewbacca finally is nice to Sheriff, and they can have play time together (Don't worry, Sheriff isn't old enough to breed!) which is going great. She is showing all the normal standoffish signs of needing to be spayed.

She still gives me kisses and loves, but just not as much. She also used to come to you, which she doesn't do anymore. :/

James agreed to pay for half of the spay, so maybe we can do it sooner if I talk to him. Plus that also means we don't have to worry about a pregnant bunny when sheriff comes around to maturity.

Well..I think thats a long enough post!

Ahh Myia I currently have two male chinchilla's and plan to get a ferret nation cage when I have the money, I hope to get another chinchilla one similar to your Casanova, At the moment my two males are really happy and there both whilson white, So I think a similar colour to Casanova would be such a contrast,Fingers crossed if I do end up getting another male that they will all bond, My question should I get a baby one in hope that it would just except being the underdog, Or should I go with a mature timid male?

(Why am I hijacking your Blog, God I gotta start one of these lol)!

Latest posts

Back