Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
I would really like to make a blog too! Please read J

I am relatively new here, so I will add some information.

I am only 19, but I have over 10 years in the Exotics, mostly volunteering in shelters and rescues.

I work as a caregiver to special needs children, and a full time student at Arizona State University. I like to sew, and I am looking to join my local Roller Derby team! I love old school American tattoos, and ZZ Top. I have extremely bright red hair, lol. I love rockabilly and the 50’s.

I feel like my life is sincerely dedicated to animals. I worked as a Vet Tech for 2 weeks before I quit due to the fact I couldn’t handle the abuse I saw, so it changed my views a lot. At that time I wanted to be an Exotic Vet, but I knew it was not right for me. I know what I want to do, and that is having my own rescue/exotic pet store. While I am almost a junior in College, and my major is completely different (The only animal related major is Animal Science which is to take you to Pre Vet, which I don’t want) I know that eventually one day I will open it.

I ran a personal “rescue” that I would take in unwanted rescues and provide vet care and temporary home for. It mainly started with reptiles, but soon expanded. This was by far a small operation, with only 10 animals being the ever max I had. I took in everything you could imagine. At this time I also worked with Petsmart, which is where I actually took in most of my unwanted animals. From this I have found turtles to be the most abused animals in the world. I have dedicated that when I buy my own house, I will have a turtle reserve.

I have worked with Degus, Guinea Pigs, Chinchillas, Hamsters/Gerbils/Rats, Ferrets, Sugar Gliders, Turtles/Mortises, Fish, and a vast amount of reptiles from small frogs to large dog-sized monitor lizards.
I am very proud of the fact you name ANY animal and I can give you’re a detailed description of care. While I know I am not an expert by any means, I feel like I am a very knowledgeable pet parent.

I am currently trying to volunteer with Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue.

I tell people I love all my animals so much, I have them tattooed: (Yes, they are real!)

16231_1214434454565_1639937752_5382.jpg

l_74344aa3b2bd799821d52cf19fd3b8d7.jpg

While the rabbit tattoo is not specific, the Hamster one is. It is of Mr. Fatty, my five year old winter white dwarf who passed away a little while ago. (It’s him eating a sunflower seed)

I currently have a wide variety of animals. Some people feel like I own too many, but I disagree. I give all my animals 110% attention and love. I feel like I give all my animals even more than they could want. Running my mini rescue I quickly learned what I can and cannot handle.

I currently have 2 chinchillas, Valentine a White Mosaic, and Casanova a Black Velvet:

4624_1101924081876_1639937752_23077.jpg

cas.jpg

2 parakeets, Stella and Artois (My boyfriend named them, lol, after his favorite beer)

keet001.jpg

keet004.jpg

I also have a small breeding project on leopard geckos. They are my favorite reptile, and I specialize in pretty exotic morphs.

Male Enigma Mack Snow 66% Het Bell Albino

gecko16.jpg

Male Enigma Tremper Albino 66% Het RAPTOR

gecko19.jpg

Female “Tangelo” (Tangerine Albino)

gecko14.jpg

Female Super Snow het Eclipse

gecko4.jpg

Female Blizzard

gecko9-1.jpg

Female Sunglow

gecko7.jpg

I really love working with the geckos...the babies are absolutely adorable and the morphs that come out are really amazing!

I have my 3 rabbits now, but will be getting a total of six. The six will be my 2 lionheads, 1 holland lop, 1 english lop, 1 mini rex, and 1 flemish giant. (We haven’t found a giant yet, but all the other bunnies are on hold waiting to come home)

It is a giant problem finding people who at the most accept my animals…most people think its “Stupid” (Yes, literally I have had people tell me that) Thankfully my boyfriend is very understanding (Although he doesn’t “get it” all the time) He loves all the animals and treats them very well.

For all who have read, I had my REW Netherland Dwarf Pinball passed away recently suddenly, and I miss him so much. Through this process however my two female lionheads have bonded. Chewbacca didn’t tolerate Simba before, but now they are getting along and living together great.

I received a broken blue Holland Lop from my boyfriend for Christmas (We wanted a Holland lop for awhile). She is 2 ½ years old, a former breeder, and adorable. She and Chewbacca do NOT get along, but I think it’s the un-spayed female thing. I will be scheduling both to be spayed in the new year. I found a place that is $60, and then you pay for pain medication.

kitty010.jpg

I intend to show and breed later on when I am in a large house that is my boyfriends and I (Which should be in about 2 years) I would also like to breed Chinchillas since I only know of 1 Arizona breeder and they are in such high demand (And pet store Chinchillas make me sad) but that is all “We will see”

Well, sorry this turned so long! Well I hope you all had a nice read and enjoy my first post J

wow! i'm proud to say that this is the first blog here on RO where i read every single word! :) all of your pets are sooo adorable!

i would love to see pictures of your other buns :p

Well thank you :)
Well here is a menagerie of photos...
Figure I better post a few of each on my blog!

Chewbacca:
The first day I got her:
DSCI0006.jpg

Now:
DSCI0039-2.jpg

DSCI0023-2.jpg

Simba:
sugar006-1.jpg

sugar007.jpg

Miss Kitty:
kitty009.jpg

kitty007.jpg

VM Choclate Mini Rex Doe (Comes home on Xmas)
DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

3 week old English Lop (Comes home hopefully end of Jan)
DSC08990.jpg

And Pinball photos are in his Rainbow Bridge Thread :(

they're all so cute and adorable! :p hahah the 2nd picture of the mini rex doe looks stoned. jokes jokes- he looks as adorable as the rest of them :D

what a great start to blogging. very informative and with loadsa cute pics. even the lizards!

on a personal note i also sew and had my hair that lovely shade of blue for many years:)

your buns are all very cute! same with all the other animals!

and your tattoos are great!

keep up the blog! can't wait for more photos!

devilzzy, she does look stoned. I was thinking, you couldn’t get a better picture?! lol! And she has stunning blue eyes so I was disappointed.

Well, I am not home right now, the boyfriend and I come up Saturdays to his family’s house which is an hour drive (We leave Friday night and come home Sunday morning) but I plan on taking more photos tomorrow.

Anyways, I decided to write about Chewbacca.

James and I got Chewbacca early into our dating. We were at the mall as young couples tend to do, and went into the pet store. When I saw her, I nearly died. I usually NEVER buy from pet stores, let alone mall ones, but I just had to get her. When James offered to split her cost in half, I knew I found the one, LOL, no joke. She was so fluffy and cute. But her being a black tort, she looked exactly like Chewbacca the Wookie from Star Wars.

Now, some background information. James LOVES Star Wars. How much? He has the Jedi Symbol tattooed on his back. When I randomly said “Let’s name him Chewbacca” he would later on tell me “That’s when I knew you were the one” LOL
All three of us formed such a great pet family. While James liked my chinchillas and hamsters, it was really Chewbacca he fell for. All of our time was spent with the little bun.

She quickly became friendly and started doing binkies (Which were by far the cutest thing I ever saw) and giving grooming kisses.
Well, the other day Chewbacca was out on playtime, and I found the real meaning of being bonded to a bunny.

I walked into the room and cooed “Where is Chew” like I always do (Such a mischievous bunny needs a careful eye) and I saw her across the room. I lay down on my carpet near the cages to actually say Hi to Miss Kitty, and Chewbacca RUNS to come see me, and I mean literally runs.

She comes straight up to my face, nudges my face upwards, and starts giving me kisses. And I mean major kisses. I laugh and hold her, and I realize how much I love this little bun. I also realize how much she is bonded to me.

She now has no problem with clipping nails, as she will just sit there normally while I clip. She has no problems being picked up or carried; and most of all she knows her name and knows when I mean business, lol.

Having a bonded bunny is probably the best feeling in the world. I hope will all my bunnies I will reach the same level of trust and love as Chewbacca and I share.

Kisses!
kitty005-1.jpg

Well, I meant to take some new photos of the bunnies but I didn't get around to it with the cage building!
However, I did get a snapshot of my parakeets.

I got these little two only about 4 weeks ago from a friend. The blue male was a rescue and then she bought him a companion. Well, she found herself neglecting them and not spending time, so she sent them my way. I didn't know if they were going to be the right pets for me, but boy do I love them now!

Unfortunatly there are 2 things wrong with them
1. They only eats seeds. No pellets, no fresh veggies or fruit. I am using the "Starvation" method (sounds horrible!) where you leave only the pellets and veggies in withough seeds for 3 days..then give them seeds..then go another 3 days. So far its literally been no luck.

2. They are not tame. While the Blue male isn't so bad, the white female is.

Well, I have been trying to finger tame them, but it hasnt' been going well. So I decided to give in and go the good old route of bribe training!

So here is me using millet as a bribe to get them on my finger. (Please disregard my horrible hair and what not..its finals week..I am allowed to look this bad! lol)

Stella:
GetAttachment1.jpg

Artois:
GetAttachment.jpg

As you can see, it was successful. But I was trying not to give any seeds of any kind...so it also failed, lol.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm also 19 years old, but I'm an Animal Science major at Cornell following the pre-vet track for now and working at a vet's office at home on my breaks. I'm originally from Los Angeles and have a number of friends at ASU.
What is your major?
Thanks for sharing pictures; we love pictures!

I used to be a Biotechnology major which was basically just genetics and mutations..but after 3 years of working in a lab I wanted to do soemthing different and more liberal.
So I am now a "Womens and Gender Studies" which is pretty a horrible name..basically I study Gender with my genetics background. I focus on hermaphordites, androgny, transsexuals/transgedner and the like. Its quite interesting :)

Your blog is so awesome, I read everything too. Great Job, Your bun's and other animals are cute too. I am 23, mother of 3 kids, I had people tell me that I shouldnt have my animals because I am a mother of 3 and have a Doberman that they both need my attention, They got mad at me because i got 3 bun's and a new pug puppy, They dont know my and what i can and cant do. My aunt gave me the 3 bun's and the puppy and i gave her my ferret.. He was alot of work and couldnt deal with the smell. My bun's are for showing and breeding at the moment. But they are young yet and got time.

aww. you're so lucky to have a bunny whom is so bonded with you! i'm still waiting for donut to get more comfortable with me ;)
your parakeets are sooo cute!! do they bite?

Myia09 wrote:
I used to be a Biotechnology major which was basically just genetics and mutations..but after 3 years of working in a lab I wanted to do soemthing different and more liberal.
So I am now a "Womens and Gender Studies" which is pretty a horrible name..basically I study Gender with my genetics background. I focus on hermaphordites, androgny, transsexuals/transgedner and the like. Its quite interesting :)
Awesome

One of my good friends is an Applied Engineering and Physics major with a Feminist and Gender Studies minor.

Thanks mistyjr!
Well, first off I don't think Parakeets "bites" are really hurtful at all..but thats only probably because I worked with hamsters so much that DO bite! lol!
The only time they bite is when I clip thier wings. They just run away most of the time, lol. Finger taming has been very hard.

Yeah, I am kinda off place in the whole "Women" studies since I am kinda an odd ball feminist (I am very untradiontal) but I like it.
I just took my final today and it was brutal..I hope I did ok. I only need a 75 or better to get a B in the class.

Well I did take new photos! But unfortunatly I am on the school computer and can't upload them. I will try tonight when I get my laptop.

Also, Miss Kitty has a wierd ear sore..which I am going to post in the Infirmiry section when I get the photos uploaded (Pointless in posting until I have photos) I am a bit worried. :(

Well first of all Myia u r just cute as a button!!! Love the red hair!!! I didnt realize Chinchillas were white too that is sooo cool!!! Love the tattoos, and all of your family!!!!

I really enjoyed reading your intro and looking at your animal family here, Myia! I *love* the idea of your rescue/exotic pet store, and I hope your idea is fully realized someday soon! Animals desperately need more friends like you.

Love the nail clipping pics-- so cute! And your chocolate mini rex doe is beautiful-- so striking!

(Good luck with the roller derby, too! The derby is great!)

Back