Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had to learn to stop and think through the temptation. Always make sure you will have the time! I have been in situations before where it was right at the time...then months/year down the road myself and my life changed to where I didn't feel like I could keep up anymore....overwhelmed is the feeling.

Yeah, that is what James is worried about too. We have also been discussing getting another cat, and the funny thing is I don't want to but he does.
The girl said he won't be available until the 15th so I have time to think about it.
James was not exactly thrilled about it, but he said yes due to the fact they can all go in the same cage (We decided to buy the Ferret Nation add on if bonding doesn't work)
Another thing is, I have been passing up some reptile rescues that have come my way the past couple months...like a bearded dragon which I absolutly adored but I didn't want a 75 gallon tank in my small apartment. I also came across a crested gecko which I have been searching for, but turned it down because I didn't want to spend the money on a nice cage.
I also just passed up 2 free hamsters on CL that I was dying to save.
Like if this was a purchase I would no doubtly pass him up; but as a rescue and at a low price it's really hard to say "no"
James and I have also been talking about the rabbit (Which he doesn't want to get) and if it's better to wait until we move into a larger place in November that will potentially have a yard and a entire room for the animals. I am not sure, because when we had Pinball and a total of 3 bunnies I thought it was just fine.
I also should mention James does not pay for the animals and I could pay rent ect if he were to move out as a percautionary detail.
Like I said, I am still going to think about it. :/

Waiting until you move into a house sounds like a really good idea! I had to wait to get a dog until we moved into our own house. I was dogless for 3 years before I got my Sammy. Let me tell you....that was a happy day!! I waited so long to have him.

I want a Flemish Giant sooooo bad, but I'm holding off until we buy a house & have more space...or until one of my bunnies passes away. I don't think a 5th rabbit is good for me right now, unless it is a foster.

See....I love to foster, as hard as it is. You just have to break the bond between you and the foster animal and keep telling yourself that its okay if they go because they are going to a good home. If they were going to a bad home, then no....it wouldn't be okay. It also helps to have your SO telling you "Nope...you aren't keeping it!!" and it helps to have a friend or two telling you the same thing (like a support group)...as annoying as it gets, they are just watching out for you.

I think we all search for more then what we have, even if it appears we have everything we need. By getting new pets...it brings newness into our lives...then the newness goes away and its an on going cycle. Its up to us to STOP and realize there has to be a better way.....and that way is definitely by fostering!!

I've fostered tons of rats, a few cats, and a few rabbits....after a while it does get easier, but you surely do get hurt feelings when they leave...but like I said, if it is a really good home, then you've saved 3 animals lives....1 spot opens up in the shelter/rescue, 1 spot opens up in your house, and the last spot was the animal being placed in the new home = 3 lives :biggrin2:.

I think when you get a new animal, the best part is when you first get them, getting them settled in and getting to know them. You think you'll never want another animal, but as soon as the novelty of a new pet wears off (not that you don't care about them, of course you will still love them like crazy). You'll soon find another one you really want.

Least that has been my experience :biggrin2:

I just have to tell myself, ok, what is the point of taking on another pet that really, I could do without, when in another few months/weeks, the want for another pet will be back just as bad again. I do have to stop myself, as I would be a crazy pet lady :p I'm sort of that already though :D

A good reason to stop myself is the fact my parents will be looking after my rabbits when I leave in 2011, I'll be living at least 2 and a half hours away (taking the guinea pigs with me). So that helps lots :)

Myia itis cool that you're getting Cupid fingers crossed breeding goes well! I'm excited foryou asso much is changing animal wise for you!

Myia09 wrote:
They can't be "Pedigreed" like rabbits, but they do have family lines and have "papers". But yes, I know the family line of both the beige and Valentine. I said I got Romeo from a mom and pop place that buys thier chinchillas from a breeder; not a wholesaler. Thats why I know he is a homogyzous beige, not a hetero.
Valentine I bought through a breeder; and Casanova is a rescue, but it doesn't matter because I can't breed him due to the fact the %25 percent chance of death of kits due to genetics.
So please,if you knew me and you know my care; I would not be reckless. Plus, I don't have a female even, and gestation is 111 days, so I have quite a while.
This is all planning. There is only 1 breeder in Arizona that I know of; and her and I don't even agree on care so I can't deal with her, and I can't drive or pay to ship chinchillas like stores can. And yes, in fact I have about 6 friends/family who are interested in a chinchilla but the $150 price tag at petsmart is wary.

Its really aggravating when I had such a long hard day and instead of seeing positive comments, I get negative ones.

Yes, they can, and if you don't know this you shouldn't be breeding them. If you don't have their family lines down on paper and know all of the genetic defects in their background, you SHOULD NOT breed them!

ALSO, a post that you made saying you didn't know any vet in AZ that would speuter a chin unnerved me quite a bit. Chins should NOT be spayed or neutered. It is very easy for them to die from it, and they DO NOT do well under anaesthetic. When I had chins I lost my one boy when he had to go under to get his teeth taken care of because he had molar problems.

And sometimes people do need limits on how many pets that they have. My husband sets limits for me, but it doesn't make me feel constricted by any means. You just have to wait.

I hope that you have done your research on raising baby chinchillas. There are backyard breeders for EVERY species, and breeding non pedigreed animals is the beginnings.

Myia09 wrote:
Yeah, that is what James is worried about too. We have also been discussing getting another cat, and the funny thing is I don't want to but he does.
The girl said he won't be available until the 15th so I have time to think about it.
James was not exactly thrilled about it, but he said yes due to the fact they can all go in the same cage (We decided to buy the Ferret Nation add on if bonding doesn't work)
Another thing is, I have been passing up some reptile rescues that have come my way the past couple months...like a bearded dragon which I absolutly adored but I didn't want a 75 gallon tank in my small apartment. I also came across a crested gecko which I have been searching for, but turned it down because I didn't want to spend the money on a nice cage.
I also just passed up 2 free hamsters on CL that I was dying to save.
Like if this was a purchase I would no doubtly pass him up; but as a rescue and at a low price it's really hard to say "no"
James and I have also been talking about the rabbit (Which he doesn't want to get) and if it's better to wait until we move into a larger place in November that will potentially have a yard and a entire room for the animals. I am not sure, because when we had Pinball and a total of 3 bunnies I thought it was just fine.
I also should mention James does not pay for the animals and I could pay rent ect if he were to move out as a percautionary detail.
Like I said, I am still going to think about it. :/
You said that the cat you currently have has a very contagious disease and that you wouldn't ever be able to get another because it would expose the new cat to it...:?

To get a new cat and risk your current cat transmitting its disease is extremely irresponsible IMO.

Sorry, missed a page where you rehomed her ,and if I read correctly you have more animals than you are allowed and had to hide them for an inspection yet still want more?

You are causing yourself unnecessary stress.

undergunfire wrote:
and it helps to have a friend or two telling you the same thing (like a support group)...as annoying as it gets, they are just watching out for you.
I would never do that. :D

JadeIcing wrote:
undergunfire wrote:
and it helps to have a friend or two telling you the same thing (like a support group)...as annoying as it gets, they are just watching out for you.
I would never do that. :D
Oh whatever!!!!
:raspberry:

BooLett, Thank you for reading my blog, however if you are going to post, please read my ENTIRE blog.
I have the family lines meaning PAPERS for 2 of my chinchillas. I was told by the breeder Valentine came from (And the same for Romeo) they are not "Pedigreed" they are called "Papered"

I also said I would not breed because I found out my Beige is hetero and it would be too difficult to produce a brown velvet, which is the type of kit I want.
I don't even have a female yet, and don't plan to anytime in the future.
I think it’s really funny your attacking me when you haven't even read (Or at least understand) the entire situation, and would quote the paragraph were I specifically say they are papered. I have had my chins for a long time, and yes I have done my research as I do with all my animals.

And also, again if you READ the posts, I only mentioned spaying because of Paul asking about bonding same sex or adding a female, and that he shouldn’t have a female due to the facts they will have kits.
And what I meant by "Discussing another cat" is when we move into our larger townhouse, thank you. And no, I don't have more animals that I can have; I had to jump into this lease and didn't get to know the pet policy, which doesn't matter because we are moving out of here.

And no, I am not causing unnecessary stress that is entirely your opinion. I love my animals enough to work around them and do the best I can. So before you make attacking posts, please read the blog in its entirety.

Well because we found out Sheriff might have possible lice/mites (Which has been under discussion with his breeder) there will be no more animals at this point (of course). His vet appointment is on Wednesday, and all the animals are being treated (Just so everyone is clear). Nobody else is showing signs, and Sheriffs has a very very mild case, so it makes me feel better.

Whether or not I will take the rescue chin in or not is still up for debate however, he won’t be ready until the 15th and I am still considering it. We are also making plans about the rabbit and thinking it may be best to wait until we move and they have the entire room as a run for a 3rd rabbit, which I have to agree with. Also there is the cost of getting Chew spayed which is coming up soon, and Sheriff has 3 more months to show if he will be show quality or not, and if not he gets neutered.

I understand limits, but I don’t feel that I am at mine. I have the space and time, so I don’t see it as an issue. But I understand James wanting to wait until we have the Rabbit Room. Patience is definitely key.

BTW, the Chins are doing great together. Lots of snuggling and grooming. Just ordered some more Blue Cloud Dust for them because they knocked over their dust bowl with their remaining dust, lol.
I think that is it (For now) :)

I want a Chin Spin so bad! But it costs 54.00 to ship to me! I can't justify that right now, not with the bun's cages needing to be fix :/

And here is James with Brownie doing the "Hamster Dance" lol! I think its the best photo ever!

(Besides the crappy phone camera quality)

ham.jpg

Also, I have been waiting to clip sheriffs nails because they seemeds so close to the quick..then by the time (last week) I went to go do it, I couldn't find the nail clippers.

And what do you know..this is what happens..
scratch.jpg

And its actually a lot worse than this crappy cell phone picture..it went super deep.

:(

So he bit me and now I have a scratch! (I should have taken photos of the bite with my phone! drat!)
Lucky he is so cuddly!

Oh that looks nasty, but cuts are a must with bunnies.

Yeah my chinchilla wheel cost €24 and my mother couldn't get around the cost, alot of begging to get it lol!

Well, I might get some **** for this, but I talked to the rescue a long time.

Cupid (the pink white) is pending adoption, so it is unlikley I will get him :(

However, I am adopting two females, a brown velvet and ebony named Kira and Missy (I will probably change thier names)

Yes, I know its two more, but for those who havne't owned chins, they are not as high matninece as rabbits, and yes I do feel okay with adopting them (So does james)

Here are photos of the little girls

Kira (Kind of a bad photo)
Kira202.jpg

Missy
missy.jpg

They are going into the Super Pet cage right now until I can buy them thier own FN.
They don't come home for another 2-3 weeks (After Sheriff is treated and clean)

How adorable!! I loooove Missy, she is gorgeous :inlove:.

Latest posts

Back