My sick bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JBun,
for what exact tests should I ask the vet to check his heart and regarding thymoma? do you mean enlarged heart condition? just chest X Ray? I know she has ultrasound there. I would love to check at the same time on the lower organs for possible stones, prostate cancer and so on. Would an ultrasound be OK for all of these, including heart and masses in the chest ? or does it have to be X ray?

Also, if you are close to Missouri, you might reach out to the Missouri House Rabbit Society - they may have a volunteer willing to come to pick up the rabbit. There is also the Rabbit Underground or something like that that provides transportation through volunteers.
I just checked their website. You know, ALL rescues that I checked so far, say DIRECTLY that they don't accept surrender pets. At all. They tell you beforehand.

he still has a lot of runny stool (And I am out of sub Q fuilds to do underskin injections)
It was normal dark color at first but now it's getting more of a color of Critical care. The smell isn't awful bad but I can't say it's very pleasant. I see him eating this runny stool sometimes.... not sure why he does it... but I don't think it's a great idea that he does.
I feed critical care, I also got electrolyte solution for infants (Kroger brand) but didn't give any yet. Being scared and desperate, I decided to give him (and gave) some "Baytril" that is left after Thumperina (shouldn't be too old) but it's the same one for which I was in doubt if they even sold me real Baytril (it;s very sick syrup that smells like candy)
Also, if you remember he has some discharge from his affected eye where protruding third eyelid is. I thought it was supposed to be tears. I wipe fur under the eye with clean wet cloth and my cloth is getting sort of sticky from the discharge. Also, the wetness made his fur under the eye a little bit of a greenish tint if I am not colorblind.
Should I continue with "Baytril" tomorrow? there is not much of it left, maybe 1-2 his doses.

I think you really need to get to a vet ASAP, it all doesn’t sound great to be honest. I personally wouldn’t want to be treating this at home without doing some tests.

We dont have any access to the vet on Sundays
I am trying to find bene-bac. If i dont find it in Stores tomorrow morning , anything i can use instead?

We have used proC probiotic before, don’t know if you have that where you are?
Will you be able to get to the vet Monday then?

Okay that’s good, feel sorry for your poor little bun, and you :(

thanks. if somebody can recommend Bene-bac replacement in US , please do

which V8 juice for fuilds? which do you recommend? it all so sugary even though there is no added sugar

can i give him some veggies or better not?
he pooped a lot while I went to sleep for a 2-3 hours. . it's a poop that you can at least pick up...
No hard round poop

update. In the morning I found a few small, not very round, hard droppings which made me happy, I thought he was probably improving. He still poops a lot of unformed large stool but at least it can be picked up as a piece (so it's not liquid-liquid). Although Paul obviously isn't in his best shape, he doesn't seem lethargic or super weak (Still tries to escape from me)
I try to give him infant electrolytes solution but not very successfully.
I bought bene-fac powder in the petstore. Mixed it with critical care and fed.
Do I need to ask for metronidazole prescription tomorrow? his runny unformed stool is of brown color which can indicate clostridial infection... what you think? @JBun

the basement where he is located is getting super dirty. He is free range in a large room there (that's the only place to keep him in). I pick up his poop but obviously germs stay there on the carpet. When / If he is out of there... I will try to steam-clean everything but who knows when it's going to be. I walk barefoot on that carpet. Then I walk upstairs where my birds are. They have a lot of out of cage time and they sometimes land on the carpet (where I also walk with the same feet)
Worried about lots of germs in the house!!!

Should i give bene-bac according to instruction which is on day 1 3, 5, 7, or more often and how often?

Update on Paul. He had rather bad diarrhea over the weekend, and honestly, I wasn't sure if he would make it alive by Monday. Don't get me wrong, HE didn't look that bad but his diarrhea did. However, by Monday morning, instead of a dead rabbit I saw a rabbit that looked hungry. He ate some veggies (during this period, he has strong preference for parsley and sometimes kale). I thought it was too early to be thinking to put him down (yes I was considering this!) so I called the new vet I was going to try to see if they could see us earlier than 2pm.
The clinic located in upscale suburb and you can feel it every second. Seems like from the moment you walk in, they look at your jewelry, your outfit and so on (just exaggerating, folks)
The vet is the one I talked to thru FB just recently. I could see that she didn't like my accent, I am rather familiar with all rabbit health terminology, the way it looks, but not the way its pronounced.. she probably didn't like that I have been reading a lot about the matter and trying to talk like an expert. Let me tell you, we didn't do either Xray nor ultrasound. For unknown reason, Xray there is very expensive - $240 (what a nonsense), and for ultrasound ($127) she said it might happen that they don't see well his chest area. plus they would have to shave him, and he is rather exhausted right now... I said lets concentrate on his diarrhea... if he is to die, it won't matter what in his chest is. I decided we should stabilize his stool and then see about the rest.
She didn't think he needed AB. She prescribed opioid pain sub-q shots (will tell you later the name - the one you need to keep in the dark) , tablets for motility that need to be crushed and added to his critical care, and sub-q electrolytes. Actually she didn't do much of exam... didn't even take his temperature, didn't check his teeth or his ears... just told the tech - quickly put him back in the carrier and prepare room for the next patient. While they were preparing his meds, I asked the tech if the doc looked at his teeth, the tech asked if there was a concern, I said its ALWAYS a good idea with the rabbit so they took him back in to check the teeth... she said teeth looked fine.
At home, I think he starts having his regular stool back...
by the way, I asked why their xray so freaking expensive (usually it's another way around - ultrasound is more expensive,,) they said because its digital and requires special people with training to look at it. I think everybody now has digital xray, right? Anyway. I wonder if there are any real reasons why I should do Xray at this place, is it really this good? I called another place, they charge $90 + 40 for exam... its digital too.
Need your opinion regarding Bene-bac. what scheme should I do?
Also, he has some wax build -up in his ears, he is shaking his head and trying to reach but can't . What can I use to clean it?

Last edited:
His energy and appetite are stil decreased. He accepts a little bit of a critical care but starts refusing after probably 20ml.
Do you think i should have insisted on AB and detoxifying med? I can try to convince her tomorrow. What she said doesn't sound right (that AB r not needed, basically she didnt prescribed any meds from diarrhea . Just a pain med and motility drug. Buprenex and metoclopramide HCl)

I m having upset stomach too. Its very rare for me. I wonder if i caught a bug from him. Any ideas?

Anyone have experience using Buprenex? how do bunnies usually tolerate it? Does it make them acting like in trans, not wanting anything (but relaxed) ?
Paul has gotten 2 sub q shots of it yesterday, he was lying down all day long, I don't think he ate anything at all (except my critical care but with no appetite)
I can't figure out if these shots are good for him or bad... today, when 12 hrs since the last shot passed, he is more active... so I am wondering if Buprenex makes him sleepy and he is better off without it.
I decided to go with metacam for today and see how he behaves.
The sad thing is that he is losing fur under his eye, where he has discharge from affected eye... now there is some naked skin there :(
On the bright side, after pooping a lot of unformed poop all weekend long, he is finally having a decent amount of a regular stool...

today he went outside in the morning, and I can tell that it was a good experience to feel like something still belongs to him from his happier past. Poor guy has everything that used to make him happy, taken away. No more enjoying sunshine in a good weather, no more his rabbit friends around, and no more treats (well, I give him some but not often)
I wish at least the weather wasn't so awful :(

Latest posts

Back