My sick bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you Popsicles.
Some litter is in a form of a cardboard box with hay where you don't need to jump in at all. Just enter. He was using them in garage while Thumperina was alive

He was on Baytril not very long ago as you may remember. Explain to me please how UTI makes a bunny pee under himself? He is overweight and situation when he lost a companion, that prompts me to give him this special attention (and treats!) doesn't help to manage his weight at all !

I have a very special request. Here are two places that I like... rabbit rescues and sanctuaries. Please don't be judgemental. Even if you very disagree that it would be a good solution, I am asking people to watch this short videos and tell me what you think regarding both. I am sitting heavily covered in stress related skin rash (can't work, can't cool down in a pool), third onset since April. My family doesn't have any medical insurance - we can't afford it. My rabbit is crying at night. He had bunnies around him all his life, now I am unable to give him what he needs, and I myself need to unwind from stress.
What you think about both of them?

1. Washington state, close to Canada border. Weather is mild, temps are very bunny friendly year around, but it rains a lot (no sun) Oct thru April (?) Very clean air, organic gardening is very popular. I like that they seem to have some green grass.

2. South Carolina. Summers are on the hot side, but winters are probably mild. This one looks very organized. they even have a medical care facility. She says they try to mimic natural environment (which is what I was trying to do). and she says that they are not solitary animals.
https://www.rabbitsanctuaryinc.org/

I don’t judge you at all, you have had a really hard time lately and I really feel for you! I respect the love and fantastic care you have given your bunnies! And it might be the right choice to give him a new home if he is happier with another rabbit. I feel like the first one looks like it would really suit him if he likes being outside? The second one does look fab, but being indoors would he be sad?
Do these rescues rehome bunnies, or is it a forever home for them? I suppose that’s another consideration? (Sorry if they say that in the video, I could only watch without sound as I’m at work)

As I understood, the first one is trying to rehome. The second does rehome those that can be rehomed and keeps for life others.

The second one isnt exactly indoors only. Indoor is a medical facility building. Regular rabitry is outdoors under the cover where they have pens (2 buns per pen)

Rabbits don't cry. They can grieve the loss of a companion, but that would be more lack of activity and appetite. If he is making sounds that seem like he is crying, then it's going to be some sort of health condition causing the vocalization you are hearing. It could be a respiratory problem or restricted air passages, it could be pain causing him to make sounds, or he could have a heart condition or a mass. Then with him having a protruding third eyelid, that can also be an indication of a heart condition or a mass in the chest(thymoma). I suspect he has something more serious than a uti or stress causing all of these symptoms you are seeing, which could account for the urinating and sitting in the puddle, the decreased appetite, the bulging third eyelid, and the noisy breathing and increased respiratory effort. All of those symptoms would make me suspect a heart problem or thymoma, unless chest xrays were done that ruled out these possibilities. It's a possibility I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, and with the additional symptoms presenting, it seems even more possible now.

For a rabbit with serious preexisting medical issues, it is going to be difficult to rehome him. You won't be able to travel any distance without the stress of the journey posing significant risk. So you would have to find someone local willing to take him on and his potential medical issues, but then you have to consider the stress it puts on him relocating to an unfamiliar place.

To figure out what's going on with him is likely going to involve a lot of expensive tests. And even if the vet can determine a cause, it may not be treatable. Then there is considering if the costs of further testing is even doable for you. Honestly, it sounds to me like he is not doing well and is likely suffering from significant pain of some sort. As hard as it is, it might be time to consider what is best for him at this point and his quality of life. He's lost his companion and he's unwell with a significant undiagnosed illness. Sometimes even if treatment is possible, it's not always the best option if it just prolongs the suffering of the animal. Quality of life is a very important consideration. Think of what his quality of life is now and what it will be as time progresses. Is he happy, does he still enjoy doing things, is his pain managed/managable so he can be comfortable for his remaining time? These are all important things to evaluate to determine what the next step should be for you and your bun.

thank you JBun I appreciate your opinion.
You know, he was doing fine while she was around (except for the episode when I started this discussion) and even a day of two after she died. While she was here, he wasn't even bothered that she was in pain, all he needed to know that his companion was here. He did provide comfort by licking her though.
It was a point during this thread when I mentioned him making sounds and it was clearly related to me having too many manipulation with him. I stopped manipulations - he stopped making sounds. I disagree that rabbits do not vocalize (do not cry)
He is rather overweight and only one this fact doesn't make him feel great. of course, being overweight is causing all sorts of other problems. I hope that if he has other rabbits around that give him good examples, he would change his habits to healthier.
by the way, when she was already gone but he still hasn't fallen into depression, once at night I heard a sound that sounded differently. I listened and realized that he was eating hay! (doesn't happen much anymore)
I don't know why you underestimate influence of loosing a mate on a well being.
By the way, he is quiet during the day. No sounds.

I will take him to a different vet for a checkup. \
Also, if we have to travel, we will fly. I think he would be able to handle a 2-3 hrs flight. by the way, he proved to be more adaptive to changes than Thumperina.
But what I am trying to say - It can't continue this way. Some action needs to be taken ( level of my own depression and despair speaks out). If he is to die then let it be (or should it be my life instead?). Let it happen when he is surrounded by other bunnies. He would at least have a chance. Here he has no chances at all. this is not a life. for all of us

he has a lot of unhealthy habits - not eating hay. eating too much veggies, drinking no water. No wonder he doesn't feel very well. IMO

JBun, please don't take it as I am trying to argue. Of course, you may be very right that he has a more serious issue, I just hope this is not a case

Think of what his quality of life is now and what it will be as time progresses.
miserable right now. but how may I know what it will be like as time progresses? I hope it will improve if he is surrounded by other rabbit(s) that may teach him some healthy habits and if a new human is strict about his new (healthier) lifestyle.

There is a group in Wichita, KS, called Bunny TNT - have you tried them yet? They might be able to help. I'm so sorry you are going through this. We had a rabbit that had serious health conditions, and we were not going to be able to afford to care for her, so we talked to several rabbit rescues in the area and found out that they were full to capacity and not taking any surrenders. Then our vet agreed to work with us and set up a billing plan to cover the surgery. Turns out her condition wasn't what they thought and after surgery, she has been a different bunny for the better. Don't feel bad about the possibility of giving up a rabbit, if you are doing the best you can for him and for you and your family, then that is the best for everyone in your family. Flying could be worse than driving for a rabbit, especially if they have a health issue, and especially if they make you put him in the cargo. Plus, I think it would be expensive to fly - if you don't have money for other things like health care, then I don't see this as a good solution. The best solution would be to find someone within two hours drive, and put the rabbit in a well air conditioned vehicle and take him there. Here's another potential list of people who might be able to help: http://rabbit.rescueshelter.com/Kansas
Also, if you are close to Missouri, you might reach out to the Missouri House Rabbit Society - they may have a volunteer willing to come to pick up the rabbit. There is also the Rabbit Underground or something like that that provides transportation through volunteers.
Whatever you decide, whether it's surrendering him or taking him to the vet, I believe time is of the most importance here because rabbits who have a condition or illness need to have immediate care.

yes I contacted Bunny TNT group. They don't accept anybody at the time, She said they are trying to clear the house (her house) from every rabbit they have. Besides, they are specialized in "therapy bunnies" which means they take the bunnies to places like nursing homes for residents to pet......... I can only imagine how much stress it would be for my rabbit... he needs a different environment IMO
No, air cargo is out of the question of course.
Taking him to the vet on Monday to check his internal problems. I have a new credit card, not sure how I am going to pay it back.

It’s a difficult situation for sure :( I hope the vet can help shed some light x

So here is a timeline. While she was alive and 1-2 days after she died, Paul was eating fine and making lots of poop. I had Lactated Ringers sub-q solution left after Thumperina so I finished it on Paul during next 4 days. At the same time, I noticed that his appetite for veggies decreased to almost zero which was unusual because he always liked veggies. The only thing he was still eating was parsley. I think I was supplementing him with some critical care (not much) because he doesn't seem to be eating hay and I don't see him eating much pellets.
when I stopped giving him fluids (I ran out) , I think he started eating veggies a bit better (did he feel he is not getting fluids anymore so he needed to get water from the veggies?) and he started eating veggies with much better appetite. However, this morning I realized that he is not producing any round regular poop but again producing lots of unformed cetotropes. Since he already had it in the past and I know it's not true diarrhea , I am not panicking much.. Giving him runny critical care, but I have no sub-q fluids. Would he be somewhat dehydrated if he isn't getting sub-q fluids, drinks no water , poops large unformed stool, and eating veggies so-so (as I understand with this stool I shouldn't give him much veggies)... ?
any suggestions?

Back