My sick bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timeline with Buprenex.
Given a shot at the clinic yesterday morning, came home and ate a piece of kale. Then didn't want to eat a whole day and a whole night, and was refusing critical care. Another shot was given at home in the evening.
today didn't get a new shot. 12 hrs after the evening shot acts more active and ate critical care with no problems. Can't figure out if its good or bad for him

once again,
under buprenex: completely stretched out, breathing is shallow, almost not detectable by eye, but not eating on his own
without buprenex (now) - sitting like bunnies should sit, breathing is visible (more respiratory effort), still not eating so far... (but ate critical care)

yesterday I used my new CareCredit card at the new vet. But i didn't figure out that it has to be over $200 transaction for it to have no interest promotion period. Instead, I've got 27% APR to pay.
every transaction, if its under 200, has to be paid with this insane APR. if I do Xray and use this card again, it will be under 200 again and I am already in the hole. I don't have any other forms of payments at this time

Hi I’m sorry I’ve been on a placement and so busy!
So buprenorphine can have GI side effects, such as stasis, and from what I understand it isn’t great for long term use. If it is making him sleepy I’d suggest maybe the dose is too high? It can have a mild sedative effect. Is it possible to talk to your vet to discuss lowering the dose?
Oh no that is so silly with the APR scam, I dont know what to suggest but that really sucks :( I wish I could help!

thank you my friend.
I have a feeling that exposed skin under his eye where tearing occurs could have become infected. and the vet yesterday didn't have a clue to even look at it! Are there any over the counter external cremes I can apply there (without getting close to the eye of course) ? AB+ pain relief @JBun

Could you send a photo? You could consider using a barrier cream to protect the skin from further damage such as sudocrem or savlon, if you have those?

Hi I’m sorry I’ve been on a placement and so busy!
So buprenorphine can have GI side effects, such as stasis, and from what I understand it isn’t great for long term use. If it is making him sleepy I’d suggest maybe the dose is too high? It can have a mild sedative effect. Is it possible to talk to your vet to discuss lowering the dose?
Oh no that is so silly with the APR scam, I dont know what to suggest but that really sucks :( I wish I could help!
I looked up dose for this drug buprenorphine, it should be 0.01 - 0.05 mg/kg. but it doesn't say if its daily dose or every 12 hrs.
I calculated and it seems like he is receiving .25mg every 12 hrs, which is at high border 0.05 mg/kg since he is 5.13kg of weight and concentration is 0.5 mg/ml and I have pre filled syringes 0.5 ml each to give every 12 hrs
now I need to figure out of recommended dose is daily or every 12 hrs

Also the condition of his butt is bad, some diarrhea and urine too. I mentioned I had upset stomach, just slightly, and even then it felt so uncomfortable, sorry for details, I can only imagine how he must be feeling having a butt this dirty. I wash it from time to time, wipe with a towel but I don't blow dry. I release him with still dump butt (indoors). Is it OK or should I blow dry?

Popsicles, I am reading that Buprenorphine is a better choice of pain control for GI stasis pain. So, it's supposed to help with GI stasis, not make it worse?
He has some wax build up deep in his ears. I tried to clean it but he didn't like it and shook his head like crazy. I have a feeling this wax is causing him problems, too.

Speak to your vet about dosage, as I’m sure she has a plan. Tell her your concerns, that’s what a vet is for.
You should be okay just towel drying his bottom, especially if blow drying would stress him out?
I have read differing sources about buprenorphine, it is great for pain management but because it makes them drowsy and affects their appetite it can cause stasis Just because they aren’t eating.
You can try putting a drop of olive oil into the ear and massaging in from the outside, so that it goes deep. Do this for a few days and the wax can come out in a clump.

Last edited:
thank you
I will talk to the vet. she is not my vet, just the vet I saw once and she said some strange things, that made me wonder how practical her knowledge is.
may i ask what your sources say about dosage - is it a daily amount or every 12 hrs? sorry I am asking you for so many things
I don't have olive oil, I have sunflower. Does it have to be olive?

I have read the same as you, 0.01-0.05, every 8-12 hours, so the dosage you are using should be okay. But I’m not a qualified vet so take everything I say with a long of salt!
Erm I’ve never used sunflower oil but after a quick google search it says that is fine. Make sure you use like a pipette or eye dropper to ensure it is only 1-2 drops per ear.

the vet said if I give less dose, I will have to give more often. She said this is how buprenex works.... I still give a little less. 0.4 ml instead of 0.5. Just in case

I've got some news. 2 days ago I wrote a letter to "the guy vet" and explained all my concerns. He called me back and we talked for half an hour. Today I made an appointment with him for the Xray thinking I was going to use CareCredit card. when it's over 200, there is no interest if its paid on time (over several months period)
We just came back from "the guy vet". He did a whole body Xray and didn't find anything abnormal. They also did an Xray of his head (also nothing...but he said he can't see INSIDE the brain though). Lots of manipulations with Paul's eye. I spent 2 hours at the clinic. When we were ready to pay, they said "No charge today, on the house, he is just trying to help". I was so tearful and full of gratitude. Plus, they did't find anything bad so far. Of source, it can be something that is not seen on Xray. I will post images later.
In his opinion, Paul is just very obese. and having a very bad diet, he is having lots of gut discomfort. But a good thing, I see him eating hay from time to time. His stool looks WAY better and no poopy butt. he has urine scald though. however, there is no sign of bladder or kidney stones or anything. The other day I was carrying him from outside and maybe pressed on his bladder that made him urinate. he is on sub-q fuilds, and he made a huge puddle without any struggle and it looked pale yellow and no sludge.

Last edited:
More good news. I dug deeper into CreditCare and seems like my previous charge from this Monday that was under 200 can be also No interest if paid quickly. they give you 20 days, I believe

His xray. Comments are welcome

Attachments

• paulXray1.jpg
    paulXray1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 14
  • paulxray2.jpg
    paulxray2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 10
  • paulxray3.jpg
    paulxray3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 10
  • paulxray4.jpg
    paulxray4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 7
I would like to tell you as well that before I took him in, I have been thinking that he didn't look like a very sick bun. Yes, he is having number of problems... but his main problem is probably that his whole world collapsed piece by piece since last Spring. From "free range in the yard, sitting under the bush", they went to "often picked up for multiple manipulations", then kept indoors, then Thumperina passed and he stayed alone

Latest posts

Back