My Rabbits and Ramblings

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I thought that since it's a year since I lost Pernod, that it was about time to move on and start a new blog for my bunnies. I feel a bit guilty, as I've had Jester nearly a year, and poor little guy hasn't had much written about him. So, without futher ado, I'll introduce my trio of trouble.

First, Shadow. I don't think many know Shadow's story, as I only found out before I moved to Canada last year, and met the lady who rescued him. Shadow was one of two outdoor rabbits, kept in a hutch, and basically forgotten about. The rabbit he was with starved to death, and I don't know how long he was left in the hutch with it. This lady saw them through the fence, went in to the garden and rescued Shadow (the owner was reported, but I'm not sure what happened). This explains why Shadow would eat 24/7 if I let him - I guess he never knows if his meal will be his last!

Shadow ended up at the RSPCA, where he stayed for 6 months, until I adopted him in January 2007, as a friend for Pernod. However it took 10 months for her to accept him. In March 2008, we all moved from the UK to canada, but Pernod passed away last June. Shadow did OK, but seemed really lonely, so we went to the Edmonton Humane Society to find him a friend. Enter, Jester!!1

Jester was one of 200 rabbits taken in to the Humane Society in April 2008. His name was Morning Glory, and I saw him on several visits to the shelter. I thought he would be adopted quickly, because he was so cute looking, but he was still there at the beginning of August, when we went to find a friend for Shadow. In fact, he was the last one of the 200 to be there. We took Shadow along to meet him, and they seemed to get along alrigt. However, when he came home with us, he hated Shadow.

In fact, Jester doesn't really seem to like any other rabbits, including Stan's Pebbles and Bebe. Perhaps being in a house of 200, and I know he had to be treated for bites when he was brought in to the Humane Society, he doesn't trust them. He does, however, LOVE people, and is one of the few rabbits I've met that loves to be picked up and cuddled. We called him Jester because he is such a little bundle of fun, and has so much energy, always bouncing around. He and Shadow do seem to like each other's company when there is a cage between them, but he did bite Shadow's nose off when it was stuck through the bars.

The newest member of the family is George - a FEMALE rabbit whose story is here. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=47444&forum_id=1
We aren't sure how much time we will have with her, but we will make sure that she at least enjoys it. We have started to call her Georgia, and sometimes she responds, others she doesn't. She is a sweetheart, but hard work, as she isn't at all litter trained, and suffers from poopy butt most days (the vet thinks this could be due to the tumor pressing on something, so it's not her fault). She absolutely LOVES being in the garden, and can be a little demon to get back in, but hey, she's happy!

And now, for some pictures!

Shadow - my Black Beauty

_DSC0021.jpg

racing across the garden
_DSC0032.jpg

On his way to dig some holes

_DSC0013.jpg

Jester - my BUNdle of fun!

_DSC0045.jpg

Whatcha looking at?

_DSC0051.jpg

Bun on the Run

_DSC0057.jpg

_DSC0068.jpg

And George (Georgia) - a little sweetie

_DSC0027.jpg

_DSC0035.jpg

Getting some exercise - she has lost a lot of her 'chubbiness' :D
_DSC0042.jpg

A quick chat with Shadow :)

_DSC0018.jpg

Jan :)

Great new blog Jan.

I LOVE :hearts:heartbeat:all your Bunnies.

Note to self add to Bunny napping list. (At least now i don't have to travel across an ocean to get them).:purpletongue

Susan :D

Jan,i really didn't know that about Shadow....that poor bunny what he went through and his bunny friend starving to death...oh my gosh..that's so very sad....i will never understand why humans can be very cruel people with animals....there is no need to treat any animal so poorly....so sad.

But at least he has you,the best thing that could have happened to him that day you adopted him...he had someone to love and feed him.

All your bunnies are just lucky to have you!

The picture's are just sweet...they look so happy running around outside

Jester is just adorable....In this picture i know he's saying 'mum,i'm on my wayto Australia'

_DSC0057.jpg

Aww, there are my bunnies. You can send them over now.:whistling We have so much to catch up.

Beautiful pictures under natural light. You really need to show more.

I love them all. Wonderful, heartfelt stories and beautiful rabbits, Jan. Jester is my favorite, though. :) His markings are gorgeous!

Great pictures of three gorgeous bunnies!:)Your garden looks great Jan. I'm sure therabbits love having all that space to stretch their legs! Have you gotten them a sand-pit over there yet?:D

Thank you :)

Susan, it's still a looonnng way to come and get them ;)

Cheryl, I know - I was so upset when I heard what Shadow had been through. I always thought he was just a 'greedy' bunny, but now I know that at least there's a reason for it :(. Oh, and Jester would probably have the energy to run all the way to Australia :D

Rebecca, Shadow and Georgia's friendship is going really well. They don't snuggle as such, but they do like to run around together and explore together :)

Stan - MY BUNNIES :p! I have to say, John took the photos, so the credit goes to him.

Minda, Jester thanks you :). His markings are so different, that is one of the reasons that I thought he would get adopted early on :?

Jess, thank you - Shadow says "Hi" :D. We don't have an outside sandpit for them, but there is one in Shadow's room - which Jester sometimes sneaks in to play in ;). They do love the garden, but we have to watch them all the time here, as we have some feral cats about, and hawks and owls have been seen around here :shock:.

Jan

I'm so glad I looked into blogs (I don't normally).

I can't wait to hear more updates :D

Aww, thanks for asking.

Things are pretty good with the bunnies. Georgia (;), and she is starting to answer to it) is now eating the same Timothy pellets as Shadow and Jester, instead of the alfalfa ones. It hasn't made any difference to her poopy butt, but it does make life a bit easier. She still poops and pees where she wants, but mainly in the bunny room - when she goes into the spare bedroom or our room, she never pees (just a few poops).

I was using those puppy training pads for her to lay on in her box, so she would keep dry and not get urine scald again. However, after a couple of weeks, she decided NO Way, and dragged it out. I kept putting it back in, until she got so mad, she dragged it to the far end of her cage, and shredded it :shock:. So, we have reached a compromise - I put one near her (unused) litter box with her food and water bowls on it, and taken the one out of the box. She must be pleased, because she no longer pees in her box (though does poop)

Shadow has started to groom her, which amazes me. He never really groomed Pernod, and when he did, he was pretty rough. Not so with Georgia - he is really quite gentle. They love being in the garden together, and take it in turns to play 'follow the leader'

Jester is asking for (and getting ;)) more cuddles. He really is quite the love bug. He has met Georgia through the cage bars, but dislikes her the same as he seems to dislike all other rabbits - much more of a 'people' bunny. John fixed 3 different sized cardboard boxes together into a kind of bunny playhouse for him, and he LOVES it. Of course, it needed some remodelling, so you can often hear him chewing on it, making doors bigger etc :D

I am uploading some photos, and will post them soon :)

Jan

OK, first, this is the Bunny Room where Shadow and Georgia are (Jester is in our Dining Room, which has no furnirure in it, so really, it's 'Jester's room' :rollseyes)

3bunnies001.jpg

Georgia has just under half the room. We have put those mats all over the floor since we got her, as it's easier to clean up her little 'accidents'. You can see she does do most of her poops on the puppy pad, but never uses the litter tray. We got her one of those carpeted cat things, as there was one at the shelter which she liked. She spends a lot of time sitting on it :)

3bunnies005.jpg

This is the rest of the room, with the sand box. Shadow is sniffing the lid of the sand box, which we rest against the wall, and he likes to lay behind it. His litter box is to the left of the lid.

Next, a couple of garden shots

3bunnies013.jpg

Georgia trying to blend in with the background ;)

There was a baby magpie in the garden, not able to fly very well yet. Shadow was fascinated by it, and they kept staring at each other. The parent magpie was in the tree above Shadow, making a heck of a noise. then, it must have realised Shadow wasn't a threat, and just kept a watch on them.
3bunnies014.jpg

3bunnies015.jpg

Next, in the basement. They have been spending quite a bit of time in there, as it's much cooler.

Jester and his 'house'
3bunnies023.jpg

Hmmm, this looks interesting

3bunnies025.jpg

I think this door could be a bit bigger, though!

3bunnies024.jpg

OK! This is MINE, and those other two aren't getting near it!

In the basement, one litter tray is used by all

3bunnies029.jpg

Though, not all at the same time :p

3bunnies011.jpg

3bunnies008.jpg

Hey, can't some bunnies at least get some privacy, please!!!

Jan

Oh yes :D pictures!

I love the first one of Shadow and the magpie and love the story of Georgia and her puppy pad :D Rabbits are so awkward sometimes.

I'll reply to your PM later (hungry bunny mouths to feed :D)

kherrmann3 wrote:
How are little Georgie and the boys doing? :hearts:

LuvaBun wrote:
Georgia (;), and she is starting to answer to it) is now eating the same Timothy pellets as Shadow and Jester, instead of the alfalfa ones.
Oops! I thought I typed Georgia! Stupid "e" and "a" being somewhat close on the keyboard! Sorry, Georgia!
:baghead

Lovely pictures, Jan! Jester's little nose looks like it needs a kiss! :) Pass that one on for me, please! ;)

I am so glad to see Georgia living an extraordinary life at your place.
Many house bunnies don't even have the luxury your babies have.

Shadows nose looks really good now. Georgia must approve of it.

Maybe next time, I'll see if Pebbles or Bebe will play with Jester.

kherrmann3 wrote:
How is Georgia's poo-problem going? I hope they have cleared up a little.
We still have to clean her every morning (not during the day though). She must lay on her excess cecals and they stick to her, though she's not nearly as bad as she was in the beginning :)

Actually, I am so proud of her - I have caught her using her litter tray twice!!! :biggrin2: She is still going everywhere else in her caged area, but I made a big fuss of her and gave her a raisin when I saw her using it, so maybe she'll get the message :). Shadow just looked at me as if to say "Hey, I don't get a treat every time I use my litter box" ;)

Jan

Back