My Foster Rabbit Has Just Given Birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another note- 4 weeks is not too young to do an emergency weaning, if the mother is getting defensive. In fact, I might suggest it. Just provide them with LOTS of unlimited hay (preferably alfalfa)and a limited amount of pellets- whatever they can clean up within an hour or so. Rolled oats are also excellent for young babies.

That looks really good! Make sure they stay covered by the fur for now. The nest should be a constant 90 F (32.2 C), and with only two babies, they have to be kept together at least for the first week or so.

As long as the mom doesn't appear too stressed. You can give her a bit of a treat to distract her. It's an old wives tale that they will reject their babies if you touch them... A mothers instinct to care for her babies is stronger than any smell!

If you are worried, rub the tiniest drop of vanilla on her forehead and a smudge on each baby. She won't know the difference.

She is quite a timid wee thing - what ae obvious signs for stress?

If she jumps in and out of the box looking for them... heavy breathing... running in circles... or if she just looks miserable when you hold the babies. Most mums won't care. You can lift out the whole nestbox and put it back when your done looking at them. Keep it to a few minutes. If they have been fed, they will pee on you!

Can you not see the pictures? :p There is one light and one dark. It has been a constant storm all dayso Kris and I (rescuer) are going to call them Thunder and Lightning!:biggrin2:

Yup, I can see the photos... but they can change as they mature. And not knowing the color of the dad leaves a little in question. But I love the names you've given them! Sweet! (Of course, now you are going to have to give us weekly photo's as they grow! Start a blog for them!)

Of course! Their father is a strange chinchilla.
Let me show you...
http://www.starlightsrabbitrescue.co.uk/animalsforadoption.htm
Scroll down to: "Thorn" - and that's their father. You can see the gradual change of colour in his lower body - almost to butter colour!!
Angel and her 4 babies are on there - not a great picture of Angel - that was when she first came in and was petrified.
I am not too keen on REWs but Angel and Gabriel are gorgeous :)

Polly would be well placed to identify the colours of all of them (she breeds chins so comes across things like ghost chins, squirrels, etc).

You're doing a great job :D I can't wait to see pictures of this crew as they grow. you'd better not forget about us now your birthing crisis has passed :p

What adorable pics of the babies! I don't think they liked being in that dollhouse much themselves, though. Best of luck!

If for one second I got the impression that they disliked beingin the dolls house I would have not put them in there.
They loved climbing all of the little beds and exploring...

So tell me. When I found the babies this morning they were under a thick layer of fur - how does Mummy get all through that to feed and how will she find the babies now te nest has changed slightly?

She will hop in the box and push aside the fur. They will smell her and start crawling towards her... believe me, they find her with no problems! They won't miss a meal!

Oh okay! My Mum is really worried that she can't get in the box and they are too far down in the nest?

She will be able to get in the box, especially as you cut one side lower :)

The babies have an instinct to like corkscrew themselves up and corkscrew themselves down as and when its appropriate.

Oh okay thanks! Puttng my mind at rest.
The nest is quite deep and all the babies are at the bottom (they have wriggled themselves down there - not quite down to the megazorb though) and I uncovered them and picked them up just to check their bellies and it was sooo warm so am assuming that it is nice and warm enough for them!

Another question (sorry) how does Mum give birth to them? All the blood was on one side of the hutch and the babies were in a corner in the other side. Did she transport them? Give birth in the nest? (etc. - it's just so fascinating!)

No, she doesn't transport them. she had them wherever you found them.

the blood maybe means she knew she was finished with the babies and so went to do the placentas elsewhere possibly. Unfortunately she is a bit of an expert.

How is Angel now? I don't know too much about births, but is she finished with two kits from this morning, or is she having more? Just thinking because she had 4 the first time.

Latest posts

Back