My Foster Rabbit Has Just Given Birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Spider*

Reaction score
I am fostering a mother and her four week old babies for my friend's rabbit rescue in Essex (she may even be a member on here)

Anyway - Angel has just had her second litter. There are 2 in the nest.

Shall I seperate the 4 week old babies?

Also there isa lot of blood in a part of her hutch - how can I clean this up - I don't want to upset Angel.

They have a temporary 5ft hutch (only for fostering - they will all be rehomed to bigger hutches) and in the enclosed space is their toilet (all hay) and this is where the nest is. I would like to clean this out. How can I do that?

I have posted as I can't get hold of my friend and post on another forum but no one is replying so I have been directed here.

Here is some more info:

- Description (Breed, color., weight): Polish X

- spayed/neutered?: No - will be when rehomed.

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?: yes
- When did they last use their litterbox?: today
- Any unusual behavior? : no

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? she went yesterday

- Diet - what does your bunny eat?: fresh hay and A&P Breeder's Pellets
- when and what did s/he eat last?: today
- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?:yes

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No

- has the rabbit been outdoors? She is in a hutch outdoors but not on the grass since the rescue has had her.

Many thanks

Hetty x x:nerves1

Hey Hetty, it's Sky-O here, I'm glad you found your way over :)

I think this may get moved to the Rabbitry forum, so if at any point you can't find it, it's probably there.

How is Angel acting? Is she eating? Drinking? Pooing and weeing since? My concern with the blood is that something has gone awry in her kindling because normally rabbits are pretty tidy and will tidy up after.

how is she acting with both sets of kits?

There were so many forums I had no idea where to put it!
She is okay - seems her normal self. Babies are acting okay.
I am concerned about the blood too though - there is like a blob of umbilical cord or something and a pool of blood.
Will take a few pictures - do I use the

just copy the direct link code and then click the button wiht the three circles (above where you're writing) and you can put it in there.

I would definitely remove the older ones as they will beat the younger ones to the nipples for food. I'm really tentative about replying to this though as this is way out of my league. I will get someone else to come and reply ASAP.

No worries, it's easy to move if the mods deem it appropriate to move it :) Most kit related stuff gets moved because even established members struggle to know where to post these things let alone someone arriving in a panic about their buns.

Yup, the code is the one to use :)

It may be a placenta and she hasn't eaten it for some reason, such as maybe being disturbed.

Are the kits together? did she make a nest?

Keep your eyes open for any signs of aggression to the older ones because that is a possibility, a very real risk, actually.

Okay - will remove the older ones - Kris (rescue told me to do this - but am getting a bit of conflicting advice - think it's better to be safe than sorry)
Will take pictures now.

Trying to get the wheels moving on this! PM is being sent to one of the more knowledgeable members about this as we speak. Hopefully we can get you some information ASAP!

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Keep them near her in case someone who is a knowledgable breeder has different advice.

I agree you should get advice from the breeders on the forum. I've moved it to the Rabbitry so more people (with experience breeding) will see it.

Wean the older litter. They should be on solid food and will have to fend for themselves. Put them in a seperate cage. Give them lots of hay to eat and an area to "nest" in. They do not need a nest box.

Take Momma out of the cage to get some exercise or put her in her outdoor cage for a few minutes....and clean up the cage. The blood and mess will attract flies, not good for her or the new babies. Check the nest, make sure there are no dead babies in there. Save some of her fur if it's clean and leave it around the babies.

Edited to add: She may not be done yet and may have more over the next day or so. Keep an eye on her and the babies. Check them tonight and again in the morning and see if they look like they are getting fed (Belly should look swollen like they swallowed a ping pong ball!)

:) thanks for coming Cathy :) It's always reassuring when you reply to a thread like this.

It's good to know that Hetty will get some decent advice (how bad would it have been if I had bought her here and she didn't).

Hetty, Cathy is one of our most knowledgable and trusted breeders. She knows what she is talking about :)

Have removed the four elder bunnies. They seem a little lost and it's so sad. Have taken pictures of blood etc.
Have heard if sometimes you disturb the babies Mum will kill them.
The hutch is really messy (the babies poo everywhere! - so excuse the mess)
UPLOADING PICS....

That's a myth Hetty, so try not to worry about that. If you stroke mum before and after then you should be ok. If she is a particularly stressy bun you can put a dab of vanilla above her nose so she smells that and not your smell.

Clean up what you can and if necessary, use a 10% bleach and water mix to clean the floor up. But you will have to rinse it well and let it dry before you put them back in.

Are the babies in a nest box? I think that you should pick up the kits and put them in a box, (shoe box is fine). It just has to be big enough to let her in and room to turn around, sides low enough for her to hop in and out, but not low enough to let the babies crawl out. The nest box should be placed in the same spot that she kindled the babies. The box will keep the babies together and warm (especially since they may only be 2) and that way, no one crawls off and misses a meal.

Edited for spelling... duh!

Thanks - so glad it's a myth!! Will find an appropriate box to put them in. The hutch is so dirty - you wouldn't beleive I clean them out everyday!
Pics still uploading

Hi Spider,

Did you mention yet how many kits were in the first litter and what breed this might be? Are the 4 week old kits eating on their own yet?

Without that information, here is my suggestion (but it might change with that info):

I would separate the litters into two nestboxes. If you don't have official nestboxes, a small plastic Rubbermaid storage box (without lid), or even a shoebox would work fine.

I'd suggest putting the nestbox of older babies in with her during the day, and the box of newer babies in with her overnight. Most rabbits do two feedings per day, so this way, she will continue to feed all of them.

When the nestbox is NOT in with her, make sure you keep it in a larger storage container. As I'm sure you know, they can start jumpng out of the box pretty young!;)

----------------

If the kits are eating ok, slowly decrease their time with her daily. By 5 weeks, they should be weaned. I know it's young, but if they're doing ok on their own, they should be ok and it will be better for the new litter too.

If the doe is in good health and condition, she should be able to raise both litters to weaning. I'd wean the second litter young too, around 5 weeks, since the doe is working overtime.

Hopefully this helps!

I agree, that would work as long as there aren't too many inthe first litter. Switching thebabies would have to be done very early in the morning and at dusk, before she does her night feeding. It would help the older litter for an additional week. You can gradually reduce the amount of time she spends with the older litter over the next 7 days.

Edited to add: The mothers milk has probably switched to a heavy colostrum milk, better suited for the new litter. Shouldn't bother the older litter, but keep an eye on them and make sure they are defecating normally.

I have said - there are 4 4 week old babies.
I have a youtube channel of them when they were in my room in a small cage... http://www.youtube.com/user/KingHetty
This videos must have been taken nearly a week ago.
I have now cleaned out Mum's hutch. Here are some pictures beforehand:
Angel
NewBubs006.jpg

Nest
NewBubs001.jpg

NewBubs004.jpg

NewBubs005.jpg

Blood
NewBubs007.jpg

NewBubs002.jpg

The babies in their new hutch scoffing their pellets!
NewBubs008.jpg

I gave Angel some fresh hay and she is eating that pleasantly. Will take a picture of the nest box - see if you guys think it's okay.
Thanks

DOUBLE POST - Just a note though :pThey are on unlimited pellets and the babies get inside the bowl and poo in it!!

OK, that is a normal amount of blood. She did good. The lump in the middle is a placenta. She made a nice nest for the new babies! Good mommy!

If you set the new kits up in a nest box, I'd remove them during the day and pop the older litter back in for a few hours. They are old enough that they will nurse off of her when ever they want. Give them 3-4 hours with her and take them out... put the nestbox in andthat gives her a few hours to rest, before she has to nurse the new litter.

You may want to look into a raised feeding dish that they can't sit in. They will poop and pee in the dish if allowed to. Or don't put that much food in the dish, refill frequently rather that leaving it sit. Silly babies!

Latest posts

Back