My Foster Rabbit Has Just Given Birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have cleaned her up and she has just been for a poo and there is a little more blood.

She may not be done kindling (delivering) yet. Give her time and for now, keep the older litter away from her. She may get defensive and we don't want them to get scratched or bitten.

She has actually bitten one of the elder bun's genitals.
This was about a week ago and he was on a course of Baytril. He has just come off of it.

I wonder if that's why she did it, she probably knew what was coming. Poor Angel, poor babies and poor you!

How are you doing? bit calmer?

You're doing all the right things :)

She probably knew she was pregnant and that's her way of chasing the older litter off. She may not be willing to nurse them any longer. Knowing that she's bitten one of them, I would not leave her alone with them.

I am a lot better thanks - have mopped up the blood again.
Have just laid some carpet in my own bunnies' enclosure so that gave me a chance to calm down!
I just feel so sorry for the older kits - they seem fine though.
Am just uploading some pictures to show you what I have done for a nesting box. How should I dress it?
PICTURES UPLOADING...

Put down a 2" layer of shavings if you have it. Pile in some soft hay and make a deep hole in the middle, all the way to the back, with your fist. Pick up all the fur and put some down at the back of the hole. Put the babies on the fur and put the remaining fur on top of them. Then put the nestbox in the corner where she delivered them.

At least your older kits all have each other and there are a group of them to huddel together :) Better than a single lonely older kit.

I'm glad you're calmer, I bet that was a real shock and adrenaline pumper!

I would put something like shavings at the bottom (to absorb any urine), then some fresh hay and make a hole in the middle of the hay and transfer her nest (complete with kits, hay and fur-although not all in one handful :p) into the hole in the middle.

Cathy beat me to it, but at least we mostly agreed :p

BlueGiants wrote:
Clean up what you can and if necessary, use a 10% bleach and water mix to clean the floor up. But you will have to rinse it well and let it dry before you put them back in.

Are the babies in a nest box? I think that you should pick up the kits and put them in a box, (shoe box is fine). It just has to be big enough to let her in and room to turn around, sides low enough for her to hop in and out, but not low enough to let the babies crawl out. The nest box should be placed in the same spot that she kindled the babies. The box will keep the babies together and warm (especially since they may only be 2) and that way, no one crawls off and misses a meal.

Edited for spelling... duh!
Spider can use 1 part bleach to 10 parts water to clean up with. Let it dry for about an hour or so before putting the rabbits back in.

*Spider* wrote:
I don't have any shavings - I have some megazorb?
I'm not familiar with megazorb... as long as it doesn't contain any perfumes, chemicals or absorbantclay particles, it should be OK... I'd defer to Flashy if she is familiar with the stuff.

My horses are on shavings so if megazorb is no good then I can obtain some.
Here is the description from Flashy's post:

Megazorb Bedding is a horse and general animal bedding made from virgin wood pulp. It is ultra absorbent, 10 x more absorbent than straw and 4 x more absorbent than shavings. Being dried at 500ºC Megazorb is dust-free and sterile as mould, spores and bacteria are destroyed. Megazorb absorbs odours, its biodegradable therefore environmentally friendly. Megazorb bedding is economical as once the bed is down there is little upkeep and is ideal for rubber matting. Megazorb comes in an 85 litre bag.

The fact that it is dried at 500 degrees and goes through a two stage process to remove dust is a good thing. As long as it doesn't have a strong smell like cedar or other aromatic woods...

I have used it with my own personal rabbits in their encloure (12ft x 6ft dog kennel aviary type thing) an it is very good but stopped as it was too big of a space and took forever to clean so stil have half a bag.

Their new nest.
I hope this is okay - I haven't dressed it properly yet...
NewBubs2006.jpg

NewBubs2008.jpg

NewBubs2007.jpg

Back