My Foster Rabbit Has Just Given Birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys! Am back!
Angel has fed the babies and both times I have checked on them they have had fat ping pong ball bellies!
I have been up to the rescue and they have given me Lactol to feed the older babies. What ratio should I use?

I have no knowledge of Lactol at all but I'm really glad mum is doing a good job :) You'll need to gradually increase her food until its unlimited and you can also mix some regular oats in with the pellets too (not quick or instant), but gradually increase those as you would when introducing any new food).

Mum is on unlimited pellets already - she has been for a long time. Why should I add the oats?
Lactol is a sort of milk substitute for the older babies.

You can add the oats to her pellets at 2-3 tablespoons a day. It's good for her digestion, adds a little extra carbohydrates and helps her increase her milk.

Since the babies are already 4 weeks old, I'd mix up the Lactol according to the directions and put it in a shallow bowl for them to drink from. Take away their water for a few hours each day to encourage them to drink the formula.

Have been advised to used goats milk at a ratio of 3:1 with cooled boiled water - and just to add a finger nail size of Lactol.

How much milk shall I use (how many mls?)

If the babies were still with momma, she would probably only be nursing them once a day. Most likely in the evening. If you want to mix it and either bottle or syringe feed them, they should be content with 10-12 cc's (give or take a little... each baby is different.). If you want to see if they will accept a bowl of formula, mix up 40-50 cc's and offer it to them in place of water.

Thankyou. Well I put it in a bowl and they didn't even touch it.Syringed 0.4 in each of them and they seemed to like it but yet still wouldn't touch it.
I have put 80ml in a water bottle and diluted it down by filling it up with more water to about 7/8ths full.
Does this sound okay? How long shall I leave it until it needds to be replaced? They have an extra water bottle with water in.

If you want them to drink the formula, you can not offer them water at the same time. I don't know how long the goats milk will keep without spoiling in the bottle. If they won't take it willingly, try syringe feeding them once a day, just for the nutrition. You really only need to do it for one week. At 5 weeks, they can be safely weaned to solid food.

Okay will take their water down and see if they drink some by tomorrow :)

I don't have experience with this, but I know the member who does wildlife rehab really prefers a puppy milk replacer, called esbilac powder. He says goats milk is not right to use. He has been too busy to be online lately.

Latest posts

Back