Molting/Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question. Rick mentions corn. What kind of corn? I have some cracked corn for the chickens. Could I give Apollo some of that?  It's just straight cracked corn, nothing added.Here's the problem, the weather turned cooler and all the buns started their molts. Halfway through the weather changed again. For some odd reason, Apollo stpped in mid molt. The weather has turned cooler again and Apollo is molting something awful. I'm brushing and plucking him every day and every morning I wake up to his cage just lined with handfuls of hair.I'm watching him for any slow down or reduced sized poops. He's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping fine. Perhaps I'm a bit raw from Misty but I am starting to get worried. There is just so much hair. So anything I can do to help this along,I'm willing to try as long as it won't hurt him.I'm giving him Nutrical, just to help give him a boost. Tina

Carolyn wrote:
Hi Holland!  :wave: There's so many things that can cause a molt to start: stress,underfeeding, overfeeding, illness, heat, switching feeds, inconsistent or not enough of light can cause trouble for a Holland (some say they need light for 10 hours a day-don't mark my words on that figure as it's not something I've seen evidence of myself), feeding at all different times of the day can result in a molt, feeding supplements, such as raisins, sunflower seeds, etc. can cause them to start blowing their coat.
Hey Carolyn!  :p  This is a great thread!  I was wondering this very thing about Shorty the other day!  He has been moulting for what seems like forever!  Star rarely moults at all!  (They are brother & sister and have the exact same diet) Shorty appears to be getting a little heavy.  Heavier than Star.  He simply gorges himself. :shock:  Anyhoo...I have had them on a diet for four weeks.  I have slowly been switching their alfalfa based pellets to timothy hay pellets as I have been slowly switching their hay from alfalfa to orchard grass and timothy hay.  Anyway...I am wondering how long till I notice a difference in their weight or coat???  I am guessing it might be a few months till there is a change????

Great video!!  Wrigley is going through the same thing.  Everytime I let him out in the morning and clean his cage out there are like big white snowballs of fur flying through the air.  It's crazy.  :shock:

Linz_1987 wrote:
Hmm thats weird, My rabbits have just startedmoulting now.  Yours all moulted in October:? Worried now. Help!
Two of mine are molting now too. No worries. The weather has been up and down in temperatures, so it's throwing the moff.  Just make sure your little one has plenty of hay.  :) -Carolyn

aww cool, thats ok then! One of my rabbits  Pepper isnt a real fan of hay and hardly eats any. But my other bun Dottie is a right pig on hay. What else should i feed them aswell as hay to keep them warm? (they are both in seperate hutches so there is no problem with sharing hay)

How do I know what's a 16% protien feed? My rabbits shed, and probably for more than one reason, the temp in our room is never stable thanks to our super... x.x

Chii of Hearts wrote:
How do I know what's a 16% protien feed? My rabbits shed,and probably for more than one reason, the temp in our room is neverstable thanks to our super... x.x
If you look in hte list ofingrediants on the bag it should tell you whatthe proteine and fiber content is. gotta love it with Tempfluctuations really whacks the heck out of their coats . mineseem to be in constant molt lately , not only thatits meesing with kindles and production.

Snuff is shedding now too. I find the best technique to be taking him outside.Last night after his romp in the pen, I put him in my lap head away from me, and used my hands- gently grabbing and pulling forward towards his head- the loose fur. It works great and it's quick;).

Skye is just finishing up a molt and Ronnie is just starting. I sure am glad I'm not allergic to fur. This is really good information. I'm glad it got bumped.

Latest posts

Back