Molting/Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Samara is three months on the 12th of Feb. I thought that they needed the alfalfa hay for the high calcium content but if that is not the case I will switch her at 3 months. I can get the Oxbow timothy pellets at Petco but they are way to expensive to buy that way. They are $7.99 for a 10lb. bag and I can get a 50lb bag of Purina alfalfa pellets for only $12.99 (they only carry the alfalfa kind) and with a FlemishGiant to feed I have to try to keep my prices down...along with Samara being a mix between flemish and mini-lop they go through a lot of feed right now. Thanks for the help BBB I really appreciate any new input totry to keep Fergi's diet in the green! Fergi's mom

From what I've gathered through my talking to people and reading, molt is mainly a factor of diet, age, and genetics.  I know a breeder whose rabbits are exposed to light 16 hours a day, all year long, and they're molts are pretty much on time.  (I do recall hearing once though that light did have an effect on molts, but don't recall where.) Of course sudden changes in temperature will induce molts. All rabbits seem to have a junior molt when they get their first show coat.  Genetics play a factor as well in the length of time it takes a rabbit to finish a normal molt.  Some breeders cull rabbits that take forever to finish a molt.  If humidity is an issue, it would be recommended to have some large exhaust fans running all the time to keep the humidity down and the air quality good. Keep in mind, change in diet will induce a molt, a sharp increase in energy, or over feeding will make the new coat develop faster and push out the old one. -Carolyn

Elf was in constant molt when she was on a poor quality of food. Since I switched to Oxbow Timothy pellets, she has a gorgeous coat (O my...I sound like a commercial). When I was low on money, I had to go get a bag of cheapo food. What a mistake! She started molting immediately. She was grouchy too. No more cheapo pellets for this bun bun. I'll rob the piggy bank first ;)

Diet makes a lot of sense when considering reasons for molt. The skin is the largest organ of the body, and it often is the first to show when the body is ill, malnourished, etc.This usually translates to coarse, brittle and dull fur, and excessive shedding.

Thanks for posting this thread, lots of great info. I've been worried about our newest bun, Foo Foo Bunny, because she has large clumps of hair that fall of her. Is that normal Jersey Wooley coat or is that moulting? It could have been diet related, she's been on a good pellet for about a month, but before that I think her previous owners gave her A LOT of what she wanted without limitation. If it is diet related, how long should it take until I see a difference? I'm thinking about shearing her like I do Mr. Wiggles, do you think that would help, and would it grow in better? Megan

Carolyn wrote:
Frequent swings in environmental temps, not necessarily extremely high temps but back andforth large differences in temp, may trigger extra molt.  -Carolyn 
Oh I did'nt know that I just contrubtied to the time of year.  Thanks a bunch Carolyn and thats some great info.
Peter

Okay, I just went and got the info from the feed I'm giving him and this is what it is. It seems that from what I'm seeing his protein wouldn't be too high, would it?  Also, is this plenty of fiber? I tried to pay attention to  which Purina feed had the best choices for him. There are a bizillion Purina feeds and each one is best for a certain type of lifestyle of bunny....Keeping in mind that he is indoors now, will probably go back outdoors in the spring, has a fuzzy coat sent directly from the keeper of Hades,   isn't a show rabbit and won't be breeding...whew....I think that's it!Raspberry  Protein not less than 16% Crude Fat, not less than 1.5% Crude Fiber, not less than 17% Crude Fiber, not more than 20% Calcium, not less than 0.6% Calcium, not more than 1.1% Phosphorus, not less than 0.4% Salt, not less than 0.5% Salt, not more than 1.0% Vitamin A, not less than 4000 IU/lb [align=right] [/align]

Wonder what they mean by: Protein not less than 16%. Exactly how much are they giving you?

-Carolyn

* very relevant topic;  bumping this again * EDITED TO ADD:  I'd love to continue to explore this topic in one of our chat sessions as I've fought a constant battle with my Sherman's shedding ways. 

Meganc731 wrote:
Thanks for posting this thread, lots of great info. I've been worried about our newest bun, Foo Foo Bunny, because she has large clumps of hair that fall of her. Is that normal Jersey Wooley coat oris that moulting? It could have been diet related, she's been on a good pellet for about a month, but before that I think her previous owners gave her A LOT of what she wanted without limitation. If it is diet related, how long should it take until I see a difference? I'm thinking about shearing her like I do Mr. Wiggles, do you think that would help,and would it grow in better? Megan
I posted this awhile back but didn't get a specific reply, so I just thought I'd call attention to it again to see if any new readers had any thoughts. It's now been 2 months or more on the new feed. Thanks, Megan

We went through that too. But Sebastian's coat afterward was much more desirable!   Raspberry 

Carolyn I'm glad you bumped this up. I have one holland buck that will not go through a complete molt. He looks terrible. I'm just glad he granded in three shows so we can take him off the table for awhile. We've tried changing the pellets, and worming. I'm at a loss to get this guy to have a clean coat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Holland!  :wave: There's so many things that can cause a molt to start: stress,underfeeding, overfeeding, illness, heat, switching feeds, inconsistent or not enough of light can cause trouble for a Holland (some say they need light for 10 hours a day-don't mark my words on that figure as it's not something I've seen evidence of myself), feeding at all different times of the day can result in a molt, feeding supplements, such as raisins, sunflower seeds, etc. can cause them to start blowing their coat. By the sounds of your situation, Holland, it sounds like it's primarily the feed that you want to look into.  Since you just started this new feed, give it a couple of weeks to see how it goes. How long have you kept the little one on this feed?  Sometimes
the pellet companies change the mixture in the pellets, which can cause you to see a reaction of molt in your rabbit. Although 16%+ crude protein in their feed can help a Holland Lop to attain a prime coat, you also have to be careful of the other effect sit could have on your rabbit.  Enteritis is one risk for Hollands with protein levels that high.  There's a product called Doc's Rabbit Enhancer, Showor Sunshine and some folks use that.  You could also give the little one some shreeded wheat once or twice a week when you have to goto shows.  There's also wheat germ oil or linatone oil that can extend the life of a prime coat.  Of course, plenty of brushing will go a long way to help get rid of the dead fur.  Some people give a tiny bit of oats, wheat, and barley to help promote a good coat.  Although it's not always necessary, until your little one stops this molting, make sure you give her plenty of good hay.  Make sure it's a good quality and nice and green. Most importantly, fresh water every day is a must for a good coat and a healthy rabbit, as you know.  It seems like that's just a given, but it needs to be said and remembered.  Best of Luck from Fauna and me!

Thanks for the board Carolyn :) It really helped me alot. No wonder Emmy is molting again...our temperatures here are going crazy. Temperatures over 80 degrees and cooling down. Crazy weather. News says that were going to expect a drought soon.:? Thanks again for the board! Love, Katy

Buck Jones knew of a website once that explained the molting process and what it does to the hair and how it effect edit.  Is anyone familiar with it?  Tucker's in an 'extra' molt right now.  I think he was a bit stressed with all the lunatics in my place and he's shedding now.  It's okay though.  We're dealing with it. :)-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Wonder what they mean by: Protein not less than16%.  Exactly how much are they giving you? -Carolyn
carolyn, the feed companies state "not less than" on the protein level as that is the minimum amount they guarantee will be in the feed. Protein is one of the more costly ingredients in feed so they would not knowly exceed that amount and must provide at least the amount they list. So 16% protein feed lists "not less than 16%" on their feed tags. Same as they generally say "not more than..." for fiber level, fiber is cheap and they have to list the max fiber on their labels. Many now list not less than and not more than levels for some ingredients. Rick

Latest posts

Back