Molting/Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
Rick Stahlmentioned that frequent/constant molt usually occurs in rabbits overfedand or fed too high energy and protein, one reasonto limitfeed a 16% protein feed.

Frequent swings in environmentaltemps, not necessarily extremely high temps but back and forth largedifferences in temp, may trigger extra molt.

If you have something to ask or add, please do.

-Carolyn

That actually helped me a lot! Sebastian is in the midst of yet another molt....He just got another haircut a couple weeks ago, we are in the middle of the winter and I was afraid he'd get cold! But no, he's blowing his coat everywhere, at least what was left of it! Our temps here have been swinging back and forth and then to add to that he is in a room of the house that swings in temp a lot through the day, especially on a sunny day. Maybe that's our problem. Raspberry

It has been found that a 14% feed is very acceptable for a maintenance diet for rabbits.

Some other factors of molting would be age, illness, parasitesas well as any stress factors.

Change of environment can also cause molt.

Pam

We're having a very hard time controlling the temp. in our apartment, it's either very, very hot, or very, very cold.:? I think that's why Chompers is shedding again.

Stephanie, It does seem as though Chompers would be molting as a reaction to the fluctuation of the temperature controls in your apartment.  Tucker's more sensitive to molting than Fauna is. -Carolyn

I also wonder if it has something to do with how much fluffier he is than my other two. Both Abby and Valuran are short haired. Pam, does that effect anything at all?

Tucker's not as 'fluffy' as Fauna, but he molts twice as much as she does. -Carolyn 

Do you know which clinic it is MBB?? I thought my vet clinic did, but i cant find it :? there are a ton of clinics in the city.. crazy..  Right now i'm 'stuck' with martin brand. However, they do have an adult rabbit feed that's timothy based. that's what i use in my mix, two martin types of food..there's one other type that's just plain pellets, but you can only get it in itty bitty bags :(   

Rex did before he got his mate, Peanut. She helps keep him groomed in the areas he can't reach great, like his bum :p He used to have little tufty hairs that we'd pull out too, but Peanut has kept him so well-groomed we don't have to anymore.

:p Well, she groomed his butt a lot better than we did (or were willing to ;))! But we still have to occasionally deal with those little hairs, so I'll just sit him on my lap while I watch tv, and spend time slowly going over his coat. He really loves it, and will even fall asleep :D As to why they get those little hairs, I just don't know...:? Are they on areas he can't reach to groom?

The length of the coat really doesn't seem to matter.  Short coats can go into major molts just as long coats can.  You'll find that it can vary among each individual and even age as well as the many factors that have been mentioned above. Pam

I have read all your posts and was just wondering...is it a bad thing for the bun if they are moulting for long periods of time?  Does it affect them and what are the negatives of this happening - my buns never seem bothered by their moults.  Although I know there is more chance of hair balls through their grooming so I suppose I may have just answered my own question. Rebecca x

Exposure to light also seem to play a part of molting as well. Leaving the lights on for an extended period of time seems to push them into a molt.

High humidity can also push a molt.  The higher temps associated with longer days (more light) seem to be more of a factor than the light itself.  I have a full spectrum light on 24/7 as well as heat lamps currently on 24/7 and the only one currently in molt are the few that are in cages closest to the heat lamps, so therefore are the warmest. Pam

That's right, RebeccaUK, :dude: You do have to be very careful of hairballs when molting and them ingesting a lot of hair and getting a blockage. Brushing them often and high fiber helps to keep things flowing. GI Stasis can result from fur blockage and it is No Fun for you or the rabbit to go through. Some make it through it, some don't. -Carolyn

High humidity can also push a molt.  The higher temps associated with longer days (more light) seem to be more of a factor than the light itself.  I have a full spectrum light on 24/7 as well as heat lamps currently on24/7 and the only one currently in molt are the few that are in cages closest to the heat lamps, so therefore are the warmest. Pam
 with a light being on 24/7 i'm sure they would adapt to that. That however does not explain those who are kept in even temps, who have a lights on and off times that seem to molt more when their light time has been extended. so I think in that case light certainly does play a factor.

Perfect post, glad I found it. I have had aquestion about Fergi. She seems to be in a constant moult and with Carolyn's info I now think I know why. Fergi is on Purina complete with 16% protien and it is an alfalfa based pellet. Because her and baby Samara share a cage she gets to eat alfalfa hay free choice as well. I think her diet is too rich but how can I change it with the baby in the cage with her? Is it ok to switch Samara to a timothy or orchard grass hay? Any ideas on how to solve this dilema would be great because Fergi is shedding something fierce! Fergi's mom.

Fergi wrote:
Perfect post, glad I found it. I have had a question about Fergi. She seems to be in a constant moult and with Carolyn's info I now think I know why. Fergi is on Purina complete with 16% protien andit is an alfalfa based pellet. Because her and baby Samara share a cages he gets to eat alfalfa hay free choice as well. I think her diet is too rich but how can I change it with the baby in the cage with her? Is it ok to switch Samara to a timothy or orchard grass hay? Any ideas on how to solve this dilema would be great because Fergi is shedding somthing fierce! Fergi's mom
Maybe you could put a wall and a little hole that only Samara can get in and put the alfalfa pellets in there.:p

Gabby wrote:
  with a light being on 24/7 i'msure they would adapt to that. That however does not explain those whoare kept in even temps, who have a lights on and off times that seem tomolt more when their light time has been extended. so I think in thatcase light certainly does play a factor.
But it doesn't explain why all of my rabbits wouldn't go in to a molt when their daylight hours suddenly go from 12 to 24. Pam

I think I'm going to put Nepo on a diet and start giving him less pellets. I read the post on how to know if your rabbit was plump or obese. And I think Nepo is okay because I can fell his ribs, spine and hip bones, but I can't see them. He has a big tummy that I think is because of a protein defiency. So at night, I'm going to give him 1/3 of a cup of pellets and if he needs his pellet bowl refilled through out the next day, I'll replace them with vegetables or hay and refill his bowl with pellets at night. :)

Latest posts

Back