Milu

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, I've never been allowed to touch my bunnies' chins. It's kind of the sacred spot, like their belly. So I don't actually know if they have little bumps and lumps there :( The crusting is kind of concerning though. Does it smell bad? If it's a burst abscess, it would probably smell pretty vile... I think?

Yeah I second what Helen said -- asking in the infirmary might help get some ideas about the lumps on the chin and on the body.

@ Autumn - thanks for reading! MILU has been having dental issues since January, he's a fighter but also a good faker, sometimes he pretends he's ok and suddenly gets ill… he's been ok, although he's been too quiet since yesterday...

@ Helen - so bunnies won't let us touch their chins and bellies? MILU lets me touch him anywhere. The place he doesn't like much to be touched is his feet, but he lets me, if there's no one else around. I can touch his chin if I pass my hand on his head and go down to his chin, but he doesn't let me only examine it well, like massaging it for some time, etc., it bothers him. I hope it's a "sacred spot" issue. When I touch the lumps, he turns his head. The crust is very small, no one would see it (but I know my bunny perhaps even too well). Sometimes something smells "not ok", but not too strong or for too long that I get too worried about it. I never got to know where the smell comes from. It's from close to the mouth (not the mouth itself since his 1st dental procedure) but I can't tell from where. I can't get to smell MILU's chin. He's been too quiet since yesterday and almost hasn't eaten at all today, I start worrying. I hope it's just a long "nap time".
I posted it on MILU's thread of the infirmary. He's got one for dental issues… that's what's saved him so far, not our vets!

Yah more Milu pictures! I love how he lays next to his greens and grooms his foot like it is no big deal. My rabbits will eat my arm off to get their greens.

I love that Milu tried to pretend he was on your bed because of the ribbon. It is amazing how smart rabbits will be. I have a carpet eater and when she eats the carpet I will say her name. Then she will pretend she was just licking her paw. It is cute how they think well, may be if I do this mom won't know what I was really doing.

My buns won't willing let me touch their bellies or chin. Now their nose, ears, and back are fine. But they don't like it if I go feeling around their chin or under their belly, they will run off.

I hope Milu's vet visit goes well. I am off to check your update in the infirmary.

Ohhhh how cute - a bunny who eats carpet and licks her paw! MILU never did that. MILU eats carpet though - the first pics on this page show the carpet eaten, it's well visible as a dark strip on the 4th pic of this page, under his tail. When caught, he usually smells the floor or goes to another spot, like saying "look, I'm here. How could I have been there if I'm here? I'm obviously not the one who did that, because I'm here, not there." - no matter if I saw him doing it. That's what I call the power of invisibility (or rabbit logic). They know how there are many dimensions and move to the next one, where, if she licks her paws, she hasn't been eating the carpet. It's like traveling in time, or being teletransported. Rabbits are very wise and they know the secrets of the universe. They move to higher dimension stages. LOL
Havoc loves when I massage his belly. I didn't know bunnies don't like to be touched there, MILU doesn't care at all. I wish he loved his greens like your buns! MILU always has lots of fresh leaves in his plate, but ignores them, maybe because of the dental issue not totally fixed… he does anything for sunflower seeds, though, or fruits. ;)

I love how you call it rabbit logic. I am going to start using that. It is so cute how they think if they move or do something else, you couldn't possibly know the bad thing they were doing before. I would love to know what they think. Do they really believe we fall for these tatics or are they just hoping we do.

I would say if Milu allows you to touch his belly, that must mean he really trusts you. It sounds like he is really bonded to you and trusts you. You are such a great bunny mom to him and I think he knows it.

I would think him not being a big fan of veggies is because of his teeth. I haven't heard of a bunny not loving thier veggies. May be it is preference though because my buns are not big fruit fans at all.

MILU must think I really believe his logic, or that he really got invisible while eating the carpet (or doing other naughty things) 'cause he's so cute when he does those things that I kiss him and pat him and I say he's a hero for "helping" me against evil ribbons or whatever else he tries to use to fool me. I love how he thinks I'm dumb. LOL It's so innocent.

My lil Havoc definitely trusts me, all vets (who do terrible things to him, even gave him nightmares) always say they've never seen such a good and polite rabbit. They say other pets bite and make a mess; MILU is a Lord though. He knows we're trying to help him, and he knows he came here simply to be loved. It's funny how snob he is at times. He lays down like an arrogant sphinx that thinks everybody needs him SO much and we all must reverence him in awe. He knows we'd be all lost (the whole planet Earth) if it wasn't for him being around. :D
Still he's forgiving when we "dont see" him (wink, wink) and don't pay tribute to his greatness or close the door of our rooms with him outside.
:innocent :p

Milu has been sort of ok lately. He eats, but not too much. I guess we'll get an appointment for him at the dentist on Tuesday - I hope so, at least.

Dave, yes, Milu trained me really well. Sometimes I can (like he's able to), get invisible when I break things. Once I inadvertently broke some vases and everybody said "it was the rabbit!" LOL

It's ok, Amy - at least he's been eating... Much better than what he went through 3 times already this year, when he couldn't eat at all for weeks before seeing his dentist.

I've found out that MILU gets motivated to eat when I type words on my computer. I guess the noise made by hitting the keys remind him of chewing sounds, and he's a bit "influenceable": if he listens to someone chewing, then he wants to eat too. When I sit down to eat he eats too, looking at me - oh he's so cute!!
I usually cheat when I want him to eat. I rub my nails in some dry leaves, or "bite" fresh leaves with my nails ;) to produce similar noises to bunnies munching. Computer key sounds is news to me, but it works - I was typing and he was eating. Maybe this is a good point to add to the story of MILU's dental issues. Hopefully it will help other bunny moms to motivate their bunnies to eat.

I'm such a dork that today I told one of my bosses about my 2-headed bunny (during a meeting) and I showed her the pic and she totally believed I have a rabbit with 2 heads (2nd person at work who believes my story, LOL) and I guess she got mad when I said I was kidding (I always think it's pretty evident that the pic is fake)... I gotta learn not to tell this joke to a boss during a meeting in which the boss believes in a fairy tale and the other employees don't... but she was the one who was asking me questions about my bunny, she started it!! LOL

Yesterday MILU had his 4th dental procedure. He was still eating "well", and hadn't lost weight when we booked his appointment, which was unusual. All the other 3 times he had dental procedures performed, he hadn't eaten for days before seeing the dentist, and was thin and weak. Yesterday his weight was 2.7 kilos (5.95 pounds), much better than the 1.9 kilos (4.18 pounds) he was last time we saw his dentist.
He had - again - spurs on lower M3 (both sides, like last time) and some other teeth grew too much too, so the dentist filed the lower and upper teeth (not only the lower like he did last time). He said if MILU eats better, we may not need to extract any teeth or even go back to have his teeth filed. I guess he's getting tired of seeing us there, heheh
I asked him about the misaligned incisors - I had sent a pic by email and he had said it seemed like the jaw was misaligned - it had never been before the 3rd procedure.. I checked more than once and MILU's incisors were misaligned every time I had checked them. However, the dentist told me yesterday that he checked them and they're normal. He took a pic and they look normal in the pic. I haven't yet checked MILU's teeth as yesterday he was too weak due to the procedure, and today he's not yet quite ok, so I don't want to stress him. The dentist said rabbits can move their jaws and maybe MILU made that when I checked him. However, I don't understand why MILU would make that on purpose and keep his teeth/jaw misaligned for long.
I wonder if, as on the 3rd procedure only the lower teeth were filed (and the upper were too big), maybe the upper teeth were too long in a way that, closing his mouth, MILU would have it a little twisted, to better accommodate his teeth - ? Well, the important thing is that the incisors are ok.
I also asked the dentist about MILU's chin and the little lumps I feel there. He said "you told me you felt lumps there before, I remember that", and I did, but I hadn't felt the are wet or crusty before, so I got more worried this time. He has said nothing about what they are, he changed the subject after saying he remembered me asking about it before. I suppose there are no abscesses there in his opinion then - ?
I haven't been sleeping as I go to bed late and have to wake up at 6 am on Mondays and Wednesdays; yesterday I went to bed after 1 a.m. and at 5 I had to bring MILU to my room (he had to fast for the procedure so I brought him here), and my neighbors' kids cry at night (for hours and hours and hours and nobody checks the poor kids!). When I hear them crying, I remember how I have a rabbit who's the perfect kid: won't cry, won't ask me things, he's always happy with whatever I give to him, etc. When I hear those poor kids crying for 4 or 5 hours straight I'm really happy to have a bunny - although I think if I were a mother, my kids wouldn't cry that much, because I'd LOVE them - I don't think certain people love their kids. If a baby cries nonstop for hours (every night) and nobody gets out of bed to check her (they live above me and I can hear their steps when they walk), it gives the impression that these parents don't give a care about her.

Ahhhhhh I can't wait to go sleep!!!! I got a lot to do, but I'll take some time to sleep today/tonight. I can hardly think at all any more.

* I'll post the pics of MILU's dental procedure results later, ok?

Here go some pics of MILU - including the "thing" in his chin. I'll post pics of the procedure later (gotta scan them)... MILU's fur looks ugly 'cause he's been shedding...

1-1.jpg

Cute MILU

8-1.jpg

MILU's back

7-1.jpg

MILU's long tail

6-1.jpg

MILU

2-2.jpg

MILU's chin

5-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

Oh, I don't know why I seem to have wrote "she's shedding". I meant HE. It must be the word correction on my computer. Even sleepy. I don't think I'd call MILU "she"!! I wish I could correct that post..

Glad Milu's ok after his visit.My I ask why you were told Milu had to fast prior to visiting the vet? I was always told to let my clan eat normal prior to their visits.
Forgot if Milu is a hay eater. Baci was horrible at it after we switched him off Alfalfa hay which was the beginning of his spur issues. The vet kept insisting we just feed him hay to force him to eat it. Well try telling that to a spoiled bun, he doesn't listen! We started mixing a bit of the Alfalfa with the Timothy hay to trick him. However we noticed he's been eating the hay on his own the last couple of weeks. He has an appointment with a new vet in 2 weeks just to check on his molars. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I just realize from the picture of Milu's chin, it looks like Baci had the same thing. But it wasn't a bump, more like sharp fur, at one point I thought it was a tooth growing out of his chin, then it just went away. Can you contact your vet again and ask him about it? I can't b/l he just pushed the subject aside. Is it b/c he didn't have an answer? I really feel for you with your limitation of rabbit savvy vets.

hotmaildeal wrote:
Oh, I don't know why I seem to have wrote "she's shedding". I meant HE. It must be the word correction on my computer. Even sleepy. I don't think I'd call MILU "she"!! I wish I could correct that post..

Oh... typos happen :) If you want I can help you correct it. Let me know.

hln917 wrote:
Glad Milu's ok after his visit.  My I ask why you were told Milu had to fast prior to visiting the vet?  I was always told to let my clan eat normal prior to their visits.  ...I really feel for you with your limitation of rabbit savvy vets.
Ditto on the last sentence, bigtime. Rabbits do not fast. Ever. :(

Latest posts

Back