Miffy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hospital called with today's update - they did the ultrasound of her abdomen earlier today and her liver is enlarged, the vet said the 'architecture' of the liver is also appearing abnormal.

They took a number of small biopsies from the liver as they had her under a deep sedation (but not the same type as Friday which resulted in time in ICU in the oxygen chamber). The vet said the liver looks mottled and so we have to wait on the results of the tests on the biopsies to find out what's going on there.

They have also found some fluid on her lungs and are going to give her oral anti-biotics for the respiratory issue and nebulise her as her nose is very snuffly, from what we thought was as a result of her last steroid injection, but is now obviously a respiratory compromise.

The vet did say that the more they look, the more things they find and I'm feeling very negative and scared for her right now. She did list the 3 main issues - the teeth, the liver and the respiratory issues. Not small things by any degree.

I'm glad I'm on holiday right now (I'm a teacher) as I just can't do anything in the house with Miffy in hospital, it's like a horrible scary limbo I cannot shake. I just want to sleep:(

They're going to call again tomorrow and hopefully we can visit her tomorrow. I want to cry every time I look at Munchkin as he seems so lonely. We're giving him as much kisses and cuddles and love as we can - I wonder what he thinks?

Please keep praying for Miffy...

thank you all

mummybunny xx

Oh, my heart goes out to you. Poor Miffy, it just seems to be one thing after another. I really hope there is some positive break through. Make sure you give her plenty of kisses from us all when you see her tomorrow - and Munchkin as well, of course!

Jan

Ohh poor little Miffy,i just hope she can get past all this trouble so she can just go home to see Munchkin,i bet he is just missing her like crazy:(

we are all thinking about Miffy

cheryl

oh no! poor Miffy! and poor you! Hugs and prayers for everyone, furry and otherwise :hug1

Greta :pray: and the bun boyz :brownbunny :bunnybutt:

Don't like the sounds of the 'mottled' liver, although I don't know what that means. :(

Poor Miffy. You're all in our thoughts and prayer. :pray:

sas :(and the warren :(:(:(:(:(

Thank you so much everyone, it means a lot to know you're out there rooting for my baby girl.

We went to visit her today at the vet hospital and she was quite perky, thank goodness.

She's on oral antibioticsand gets put in a nebulising chamber 3 times a day for 10 minutes to help clear her nasal passages. They say it is an 'upper' respiratory infection/disease, so it's mostly affecting her nose and eyes, although the vet did mention yesterday that they saw some fluid on her lungs.

She's still being syringe fedbut doesn't seem to be gaining any weight, although I don't think she's lost any either. She's not very interested in her biscuits or hay but maybe the syringe feed is filling her up?

We got to pick her up and cuddle and kiss her, and bless...she was bop-bopping my face with her wee nose and seemed happy to see us, and we were delighted to see her. It made me feel better to see her, I have been so down thinking all sorts...

We get the results of the liver biopsy tomorrow, so we will know what we are dealing with - fingers crossed it's something that can be treated and managed.

Will update again tomorrow...

thanks again

mummybunny xx

Miffy's coming home today!!!!! :):elephant:They are letting us take her home this afternoon as they said it will probably take a few days to get the liver results.

We'll have to continue the syringe feeds at home, as well as administer the anti-biotics for the respiratory infection.

Munchkin will be delighted to see her, as I'm sure she will him! And, of course, we are so happy to get her back.

She may have to go in again though, depending on the liver results...

mummybunny xx

Oh. I am so happy for you all that Miffy can come home. I know it means that you have your work cut out with syringe feeding etc, but I am sure it will be worth it :). Keeping positive thoughts going for good test results :pray:

Jan

We're all sending good thoughts and prayers!
:pray:
I did want to mention that when Binkie had her abscess, her test results were all over the place.....including those including her liver functions. It was scary! Strangely enough, once she had fully recovered from the surgery the test results were back to normal.

Hi everyone, we've got Miffy home - but with so much medicine and a nebulising machine. She's to get the followingtwice a day -

Baytril antibiotic 0.8ml orally for the respiratory disease

Prepulsid (cisapride) gut motility stimulant 1ml orally

metoclopramide gut motility stimulany 0.2ml orally

Liver support (Hepatosyl) - half a capsule in 2ml water

Critical Care nutritional support - 10-20ml 3 times a day

nebulisation with 10ml saline solution 3 times a day

We have to check her clipped areas(tummy+ears) that she hasn't chewed them, and clean any discharge from her eyes and nose. We've to take her back next Thursday, and she's to get more blood tests done for comparitive purposes.

They're going to call by the end of the week once they get the liver biopsy results done. They're also testing for E. cuniculi and have sent faeces for parasite tests - all of which we have to wait on test results for.

It's so good to have her home, but it took us about an hour to give her all the meds and nebulisation! Munchkin was delighted, but kept honking at her and trying to hump her - poor Miffy! He couldn't help it!! Now they're totally cuddling, it's lovely to see them together again.

mummybunny xx

So we now have a system set up, with all the med bottlesnumbered and lined up and all the corresponding syringes numbered and lined up! Whilst she's in her box getting nebulised we fill all the syringes and make up the critical care mix (which totally stinks!)

Giving her the liquid meds isn't too bad as the syringes are small, but it takes ages to give her the critical care mix, and loads gets dribbled down her dewlap and on her feet and all over the towel and table. The syringe is really big so the mix will get through so I don't think she likes having it in her mouth!

Hospital called again today, no signs of tumour cells in the biopsy, and negative for protozoans - not quite sure what that means? Is that the parasites?

They suggest it could be viral or toxic - can't be viral as she's fully imunised for VHD, so she wants us to make a list of everything she eats or has access to, or has nibbled and she's going to look over it at her appointment on Thursday next week.

Could be anything from Febreeze, unwashed supermarket veg, something on the lawn...the list could be endless. I think they're not very sure what's going on, and we've just to continue her treatments as described.

mummybunny xx

mummybunny wrote:
......., but it takes ages to give her the critical care mix, and loads gets dribbled down her dewlap and on her feet and all over the towel and table. The syringe is really big so the mix will get through so I don't think she likes having it in her mouth!

mummybunny xx
Hi mummybunny!

We had the same issue when syringing canned pumpkin (still have a stain on the ceiling, too).
We ended up switching to two smaller syringes instead of one larger one. I don't know what the consistency of CC is, or if this might be an option for you.

~Jim

Miffy really is turning out to be quite the mystery bun :?. At least it's good news that the biopsy showed no tumour cells. Had to look up protozoans - dictionary says they are single celled creatures, so I guess it could be the parasites!

I think you are being a wonderful Bunny Mommy to Miffy - I know it must be very upsetting for you, especially after Fudge! I am keeping you in my thoughts

Jan

Aww poor little Miffy having to take all that medicine,you are a fantastic mum for taking such good care of her and i'm sure she appreciates everything you are doing for her:)

Get better soon Miffy!,we are all thinking about her

cheryl

Latest posts

Back