Miffy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummybunny

Reaction score
Vet hospital called this morning and she's got lots wrong regarding her initial weight loss concern.

Her white blood cells are incresed and decreased (they're are 2 types apparently) so neither is normal, her red blood cells are ok, except some don't look normal - ones that the body has produced quickly, instead of normally - but she isn't anaemic.

She has high liver enzymes so liver disease of some sort - they are going to ultrasound her liver and possibly take a biopsy. But they don't want to put her under a general anaesthetic as if the liver is compromised it can be an issue. They may just take cells under sedation but have to check her clotting as haemoraging can happen.

Her back teeth are all over the place - some overgrown, spurs on them all I think and roots being pushed into the bone. No ulcers or abcesses though thank goodness. I think this will be a major issue as she will have to be seen every 4-6 weeks and if the spurs are there again she'd have to have anaesthetic each time. This really worries me, as I think deep doen this will compromise her future. I don't think I can put her through that so regularly.

She's on a drip and may be till Monday - she's currently recovering from deep sedation which takes longer than an anaesthetic. They had to do this to do bloods/x-rays/dental work. She's still asleep and won't be sitting up till tonight they said. They want to keep her in until Monday which is when they can do the ultrasound but if she needs another sedation it'll be Tuesday. They're going to call tomorrow morning again. We can take Munchkin in to join her but only if she's not on the drip as he'll snip it out! He's so lost at home without her, as are we.

Her breathing is very fast - it has been of late - they said because of the steroids for her dewlap wounding, it can compromise the respiratory system.

I've been crying as it all seems so negative right now. My poor poor baby girl. I can't help think why did we not take her sooner? I don't know if it'd make a difference. She was behaving/eating/drinking/peeing/pooing fine, except for getting skinnier.

Can anyone be honest with me and let me know what her likely future or not is to be. Anyone had buns with liver/teeth issues? I don't want her to suffer.

thank you

mummybunny

ohh noo little Miffy:(i have no answers for you but i know other members will,i just wanted to let you know that i am thinking about your little girl and what you must be going through yourself,poor little girl has to go through all that it just makes me feel very sad to know that she is away from her home and her buddy and she don't even understand what is going on.

I just didn't expect this kind of news about Miffy:(

cheryl

attachment.php

What a sweet little girl

Ohh Miffy:tears2:

cheryl

mummybunny wrote:
... I think this will be a major issue as she will have to be seen every 4-6 weeks and if the spurs are there again she'd have to have anaesthetic each time. This really worries me, as I think deep doen this will compromise her future. I don't think I can put her through that so regularly.
Poor Miffy.:bigtears: Poor Mummybunny and poor Munchkin, too. :(

I don't know about the rest of the teeth issues or the liver problem, but at least I'm pretty sure the spurs can be done with asafe sedation that'snot very invasive, at leastunder normal circumstances.I did a lot of research at the time on which vets here used which methods, andwent for the guy that usedarecently touted, safe combo, although I don't know specifically about their effect on the liver. I'll have to dig up the names of the drugs. Pipp hadreacted badly when she was put under for her spay,but for the spurs she gets lightly knocked out for 30 minutes or so and they give her another shot to bring her out of it, and she's fine.

If Miffywas still eating and pooping at her normal levels, though, doesn't sound like the teeth had that much to do with it. As soon as Pipp's spurs start acting up, she pretty immediately stops eating altogether, although I do believe most bunnies get there more gradually.They'll try and eat, pick up the food and drop it again.

And with all you've gone through treating Miffy's dewlap problem, there isn't an iota of neglect or overlooking of anything. There's absolutely no way you could have caught anything any sooner, you've flagged her problems earlier than most people would have. :hug2

Here's hoping there's a quick fix out there for her. :pray:

sas:expressionlessand the bunnies :bunny5:bunny5:bunny5:bunny5:bunny5

Hospital called - she's now in ICU in an oxygen chamber as she's not breathing well or coming round from sedative well. We have to get there in half an hour to get to see, maybe last time... sorry crying. Waiting on husband coming home - called him and we'll race to hospital. Please don't let this be iyt

Oh hon, I'm so sorry things aren't going well :hug2

:pray:

Got to hospital in time - frantic drive - and saw her, she has a drip in her ear that's all wrapped up in a blue bandage. She's very dopy and responding slightly to touch (she wasn't when hospital called) but is not moving about. She should be more awake than that, which is why they have her in an oxygen chamber. She looks so little:(

They are going to have to syringe feed her as she's not moving about, and I don't think she's pooing so they have her on pro-kinetics for her gut.

The next 24hrs will be crucial, as the vet said she'd (the vet that is) be much happier whenMiffy's moving about herself and is more responsive.

We got to pet her, but only through a hatch in the door of the chamber -I so badly wanted to kiss her and speak into her ear. I hope she knew it was us.

We'll keep you updated. I feel so exhausted and kinda numb too - I don'twant to think we'll lose her but I don't want to think too optimistically in case we do lose her. I feel so helpless, like what's going to happen is going to happen but I can't do anything about it. I know she's in the best place though. I just wish I could explain it all to poor wee Munchkin, who's been hiding at the back of the sofa bed upstairs. Wee souls.

Please pray for my girl.

mummybunny x

Hospital called this morning - better news thank goodness :). Miffy has been eating greens and even saw fit to remove her drip from her ear! But no poos yet.

They're keeping the cathater in her ear for now, in case they have to put in another drip and are still syringe feeding her, even though she is eating veg herself as they want to keep her reduced weight stable and even for her to put more on.

They're going to call again tomorrow morning and she's still got to get an ultrasound of her gut, in particularl her liver on Monday. I think they're going to try and do it without having to sedate her again, the only problem is they need to take a biopsy of the liver to get better results. So she may need a sedative or general anaesthetic.

Will keep you posted.

mummybunny x

Here's Pipp's molar spurs surgery info:

My vet (Vet #1) usedDomitor (Medetomidine), it appears to be a newer drug. They said they use a reversal, but didn't name it, but it seems thatAtipemazole is always used.

Here's what a couple of sites said:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anesthesia/Safe_Anesthesia.htm

Medetomidine (Domitor) - 0.250 mg/kg -- SC -- Should be avoided in rabbits with health issues, due to respiratory and cardiovascular depression properties of this compound.

Reversal: Atipemazole - 0.05 mg/kg -- IV -- Venipuncture is difficult due to vasoconstriction of the veins. (NOTE: I'm only assuming this is the reversal drug, it could be something else).

http://vet_kim.hihome.com/drugs.htm#Medetomidine

Medetomidine (Domitor):rab-0.2 mg/kg IM
Alpha 2 adrenergic agonist that provides moderate analgesia and sedation. Useful in combination with dissociative or other anesthetics. Purported to have less cardiopulmonary depression than xylazine.

Vet #2 usesKetamine/Xylazine

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anesthesia/Safe_Anesthesia.htm

Ketamine/Xylazine -- 35 mg/kg 5 mg/kg -- SC, IM, IV - Short surgical anesthesia (20 - 30 min.) High dosage may induce bradycardia and muscular stiffness. Important salivary and bronchial secretions - Sleep time: 60 – 120 min.

http://vet_kim.hihome.com/drugs.htm

Ketamine: NHP, Rab, rod-40-90 mg/kg IV, IM
Cyclohexamine dissociative anesthetic. Respiratory depression can become significant at higher doses. Frequently used in combination with other drugs such as acepromazine, xylazine, diazepam.

Xylazine:rab, guinea pigs-3-5 mg/kg IM
Alpha 2 adrenergic agonist causing sedation, analgesia and significant hypotension. May cause 2nd degree heart block and bradycardia in dogs and other species. Frequently causes emesis in dogs. It can be administered to frogs for very effective analgesia of up to 24 hours duration.

Back