Miffy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mummybunny wrote:
Hospital called again today, no signs of tumour cells in the biopsy, and negative for protozoans - not quite sure what that means? Is that the parasites?

mummybunny xx

Protozoan parasites can refer to a numberof parasites that affect rabbits most commonly including coccidiosis and E. cuniculi. Many healthy rabbits carry these protozoans, but may become ill when under stress and these protozoans over populate.

Pam

They were testing for E.Cuniculi, so I guess that's what's negative - I'll have to ask on Thursday at her appointment.

Just finished another nebulising treatment and syringe feed of Critical Care mix - she really hates getting that stuff. I hate having to give it as she gets quite stressed when you're trying to put the syringe end in her wee mouth. It also smells really bad, but we have to persevere. We are managing 20ml 3 times a day.

We've also been giving her oats and banana to try to up her weight - she's so bony right now, but her tummy is still fat.

Does anyone know of any other foodstuffs that are high in fibre and good for adding weight?

thanks again

mummbunny xx

Alfalfa is good for gaining weight and it's very high in fiber. Careful with the banana because it is sugary. Is she eating anything on her own? Sometimes strong-smelling herbs like parsley and cilantro can tempt her to eat. If you have Nutri-Cal over there, that would be a good idea too.

I use Nutri Cal for adding weight because it's so high in calories. Try some whole wheat toast with a little corn oil on it, black oil sunflower seeds (excellent for adding weight), or rolled oats.

Also increase the pellets if she'll eat them and add alfalfa hay as Naturestee suggested.

Dark leafy greens such as dandelion leaves are rich in complex B vitamins to help stimulate the appetite. You can also get vitamin B shots from the vet.

Grated carrots often tempt my rabbits when they are off their feed.

Pam

No, she's not off her food at all, she's eating herself - fresh grass from the garden, pellets, veg and hay. The hospital have us syringe feeding her in addition to her own eating as she's lost so much weight. She's getting rolled oats too.

Where would I get Nutri-Cal, I'm in the Uk and haven't seen it. Does it go under other names?

thanks

mummybunny xx

mummybunny wrote:
Where would I get Nutri-Cal, I'm in the Uk and haven't seen it. Does it go under other names?

thanks

mummybunny xx

This has come up a couple times and I know some people have done some searching, but I'm not sure what they came up with.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
mummybunny wrote:

thanks

mummybunny xx

This has come up a couple times and I know some people have done some searching, but I'm not sure what they came up with.

Pam
Nutri-Stat? or Enervite?

Miffy had her one week appointment yesterday back at the vet hospital and she's lost even more weight since last week when she was in the hospital, despite being fed 20ml critical care mix 3 times a day and eating pellets, hay, grass and oats on her own.

She was originally 2.7kg, she went to 2kg in July, was 1.92kg in hospital and is now 1.87 kg

They took more blood so they can repeat her tests and do a comparison for the liver enzymes and white blood cell counts.

In herself, she is very lively, is taking her meds every day like a good girl and is pooing and peeing fine. We have ordered oat hay and alfalfa hay to give to her too, in addition to timothy hay and meadow hay.

Hospital is going to call with blood results today or Monday so I will update again then.

mummybunny xx

I should have also included, she is negative for parasites in the faeces/gut, negative for E.Cuniculi and negative for signs of liver tumour. So at least that's something!

Ohh poor little Miffy,but there must be a reason why she is losing so much weight,that just doesn't seem good but at least she is still ok in herself,i'm sure Miffy appreciates everything you are doing for her,you are a good bunny mum:)

will be waiting for you to update with the blood results

i will be keeping Miffy in my thoughts,and sending her lots of get well vibes:)

all the best..for you and Miffy

cheryl

At least it's some comfort in knowing that Miffy's test show what she doesn't have - if only they could find out what is wrong :(. I really hope the tests can give some answers and they can get Miffy to gain some weight. Will be thinking of you!

Jan

Hospital called and said her blood tests looked better than first set of tests when she first went into the hospital. They are still not normal, but better than before. Don't know EXACTLY what that means as I was out and the vet just left a message on the answering machine.

From the list we made of potential things that Miffy could have had a toxic reaction to (febreeze, kale, lawn plant in amongst grass, floor cleaneretc etc) they are going to test for lead poisoning!!! She'd nibbled the bottom of the banisters ages ago, which has paint on it, but our house is only about 7 years old, so surely lead poisoning is clutching at straws a bit?!

We bought a set of digital scales so we can also monitor her weight, as the dial ones are maybe not so accurate.

We've to take her to the hospital in 2 weeks and she'll get weighed again and more blood work done then.

mummybunny xx

Mummybunny, you're doing an awesome job with Miffy! :bouquet:

It sounds good if her blood tests are getting more normal. Hopefully once her body starts getting back to normal she'll be feeling more hungry again and will stop loosing weight.

As always, keep us updated! I'll be thinking of you. :hug2

So, Miffy has her 2nd check up appointment at the vet hospital tomorrow afternoon.

However, she has developed an abcess on the side of her dewlap - thesame side she would maul at. We noticed a lump appearing over the lastweek or so when giving her the Critical Care mix (still on 20-30ml 3times a day and 20mg Hepatasil twice a day for liver issue).

This morning there was a yellow scab on the lump and it has been verytender for Miffy when we touch it. Gave it a good scrub with Nolvasansurgical scrub and scab came off, and loads of thick puss ozzed out too- yuck. Seen this pus when our wee boy Fudge had an abcess behind hiseye and vet drained it under his eye.

Squeezed out as much as we could and scrubbed are again - she now hasan actual hole in her dewlap big enough to put a Q-Tip into comfortably.

Thank goodness she's off to the hospital again tomorrow.

What with her weight loss, liver issues, resiratory infection (which Ithink is gone - but we'll see) and NOW an abcess on her dewlap she is awee soul indeed.

Will let you all know how appt goes, and if she's put on any weight...

mummybunny xx

Back