King Kirby's Rabbit Nation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!!

Breaking news: PENNY HAS NOT PEED ON THE FLOOR TODAY YET.

She peed last night in the litter box. I heard her whiz. WOW I woke up this morning to a clean bed pad, unsoiled, and I was stunned. I went out today, came home and it was still dry. OH MY!

Part of me knows better and is almost certain she's peed somewhere new and exponentially annoying. I'm bracing myself for when I find her puddles. But I've searched all over, no urine anywhere. Could Penny have finally spared me her golden rain!? After *counts fingers...* 7 long months?

She's probably saying~ hey here I am behaving by going where I'm supposed to and that dumb slave is out searching for my pee!:biggrin2:

November 8, 2010 - Bad Slave

I've been super immersed in ladder play of Starcraft 2 and I am halfway into the free trial period of World of Warcraft (WoW). As if one epic game wasn't enough to destroy my life, I added WoW which is guaranteed to demolish any resemblance of a social life. It's really tough and I am still on the fence but I probably shouldn't buy this game after my trial is over. Seriously.

All those late night hours of gaming means it cut into my late night hours of bunning. Late night is the best time to play with buns in case anyone wasn't aware. They come alive and have so much fun at night, doing things they wouldn't ever do during the day. At least mine do. Most nights I spend doting on Toby who literally lulls around in his box from 10am to 8pm. Kirby and Penny also do a lot of squatting and laying during those hours. From 9pm to 1am or so Kirby and Penny usually lay with each other and play, sometimes binky in the rabbit room. At 2 or 3am Kirby automatically retires to the royal chamber for slumber. Regardless of whether I've tucked them in, Kirby will say when he's had enough and go back up to the 3rd floor of his condo. Penny doesn't really care what is happening as long as there's hay in the basket. If there's no hay available or any "fresh, new" hay rather, she goes *ballistic* in a way I've never seen any in a rabbit. Never get her hungry. I can almost say with certainty that Penny was starved quite a bit in her former life.

So in the last few days the super duper important development in the Rabbit Nation is that Penny has stopped urinating on the floor. That includes in her own area where it's lined with an incontinence bed pad, and all around the rabbit room. It's absolutely amazing. Usually when I feed her pellets and her salad, she poops all over her pen as if she's so excited that she literally can't control her output. But last 2 days, no stray poop. No urine puddles. :shock: And to top it off, she peed in front of me and my husband in the litter box as if she were showing it off.

I think she knew how it worked all along, and was just torturing me.

Anyway, if she keeps up this cleanliness permanently, the rabbit room configuration may change a bit to accommodate more play area for Penny. Right now her night time play pen is really quite small so it was easier for me to contain the damage. It's too soon to tell but it's been phenomenally positive for me so far. She just woke up one day and decided she'd be litter trained...

Toby finally finished growing his new coat and he is so handsome. Toby's white cottony coat shimmers. *swoon!* Eat your heart out, Team Edward.

Kirby is still uber cute. I've been keeping him on a rather strict diet. In fact, both he and Toby were a bit chubs lately so I even did myself a favor by halving their salads to just a night time salad and even that one is not the fullness it used to be. Kirby gets just shy of 1/4 cup of pellets, Toby gets under 1/4 cup and Penny gets a full 1/4 cup.

Why so stingy? Well, I gotta say that I don't give my buns many treats. I really, really don't. Once a month they may get a craisin if I happen to be eating some. Maybe once every two weeks they'll get a slice of carrot if I bought some for myself. So how are my bunnies getting so pudgy?! My conclusion was that I may have been giving them way too many greens. Getting fat on salad? Apparently it's possible. But it could also have been the small excess amount of pellets I give them every now and again. I used to eyeball it but now I use a 1/8 cup scoop to measure to be sure. After the Rabbit Rescue and Rehab Annual Rabbit Care Conference's discussion on rabbit obesity I was scared straight. I would never want Kirby to get old and suffer from fat complications. I want him to be cute and fluffy, not heavy and sad.

I can already tell he is a little bit less balloon-y and just generally more uniform in shape. He still feels pretty "loose" so he's got some fat on him but it's not getting worse at least. Toby is getting leaner and he's almost where I would ideally want him. Penny is already where I want her so she is perfect. Kirby is older than them both and he is a bit more sedentary so it makes sense that he was a bit plumper on the same diet as everybun else.

Speaking of that, guess what? Tuesday is Kirby's GOTCHA DAY!!!!! YAY! It would officially be 2 years since I got Kirby. Which means the length of time Kirby's been with me is about the same as the length of time he was not with me. I hope, above all else, that he lives happily and forgets about the sad lonely life he had before he was rescued. I just can't bear to think of the loneliness he must have felt when he was a hutch bunny. Even the shelter where I adopted him said that he was kind of a loner and may not do well to bond him. But I sure proved everyone wrong. Kirby is so much happier with a bondmate.

I used to be worried that Kirby would become more rabbity and not want my attention once he was bonded but it goes to show that he has enough love for Penny and me. He soaks in adoration from us both and is doubly happy now. When he is not getting his due attention, he comes and demands it from us. He is so much more social than anyone gave him credit for. I love, love, love this bunny. :hearts :hearts

In other news, my skin seems to be behaving itself. I have not suffered any further relapses of hive outbreaks. I started my allergy shots and have been doing well with them so far. Also, I've started acupuncture for various reasons and hopefully that will help as well. I've gone free and clear of perfume and dyes in all products that come in contact with my skin so there was a lot of overhaul there. Detergent, soap and makeup was surprisingly easy to tackle. I just started to use Bare Minerals for makeup and so far it's working well but I do find it kind of cumbersome to apply. The one thing that is super annoying is finding a shampoo that doesn't have perfume and dyes. I use Free&Clear but man, it really sucks. My hair is flatter than flat. Sigh. But oh well, if all this change means I can keep my buns and play with them without breaking out in hives or something equally awful, then I am fully on board.
:dutch

If Penny was doing a lot of the pooing and peeing when she was being fed I wonder if it was her way of saying it was her food. If you factor in you think she may have been food deprived it would make sense. Now as time goes on and she is seeing that her life has changed she may think it's safer.

Nice pictures. Kirby is a handsome boy. Oh congratulations to you and Toby for Halloween photo contest. He's adorable ! Can't wait to see your Hoppy Holiday's photo, will you join the contest ? :)

Bunny parents wrote:
Nice pictures. Kirby is a handsome boy. Oh congratulations to you and Toby for Halloween photo contest. He's adorable ! Can't wait to see your Hoppy Holiday's photo, will you join the contest ? :)
Thank you! I am going to try to remember to enter this holiday's contest. Last year I bought some props to take pics and never got around to it. I should do it. 3 Bunnies is too cute not to enter a photo contest.

JadeIcing wrote:
...I wonder if it was her way of saying it was her food. If you factor in you think she may have been food deprived it would make sense. Now as time goes on and she is seeing that her life has changed she may think it's safer.
You're saying she was marking her food when it was feeding time? I suppose it's possible! She would pee pretty much overnight though, not during feed time. She'd only poop instantaneously during feed time. Both behaviors have vanished suddenly.

If she gradually tapered off I would say that she was starting to "get it" but she really quite suddenly became a neat and wonderful girl. Literally overnight she became prim and proper. But whatever it is, I'll take it.

Morning #3 today - no pee on the floor. AMAZING!

Time to feed the kids and get greens. It's actually horrible out there. I wonder why Mondays always grace us with bad weather.

Awesome about Penny! Hopefully she keeps it up.

I use mineral make up and all that environmentally friendly, not tested on animals, all natural stuff...for just about everything! I'm just obsessive like that though, I like being as "green" as I can because I really do feel like it's healthier for me and for the environment, and I'm not a huge fan of testing things like make up and cleaners on animals.

What exactly are you allergic too? I might be able to suggest a shampoo - although I have really thick naturally curly hair, so I've never had a problem with it being flat.

I am allergic to fragrance and benzyl alcohol. :( Ideally my shampoo and conditioner should not have these things in it. I went back to Dove for 1 day last week because I just could not stand how awful my hair felt. And... it wasn't so great. I started to feel tingling behind my ears. :(

I even switched my lipstick to Urban Decay. Not only do I love the color, I also love how they don't test on animals. It doesn't have ingredients that set me off either.

Yeah I really love the stuff I buy...make up and cleaning stuff and all that. I don't know if I'm just really use to it, because I made "the switch" to better products probably around 7 years ago, but I think they works/smell a lot better than normal products. The smell of stuff like Lysol, for example, smells really bad to me now and gives me headaches.

I shop around on Drugstore.com a lot, they have a "green & natural" section that has a pretty good selection of products. Sometimes they can be a bit overpriced, but it's good if you just want to look at the products and read the ingredients and reviews and all that - then if you don't want to actually buy from the site you can see if your local store has what you're looking for. I don't really like reading labels in the store.

Can you not have any fragrance at all? Because some of the more natural products have natural fragrances that are just from ingredients in the product. Like if you like the smell of tea tree oil, or lavender, or something like that. But there are certainty some that are fragrance free as well, if even those would bother you.

A lot of things are lumped together as just "Fragrance" and there's no telling what's in it so I don't trust it. I am specifically allergic to a lot of fragrance chemical names that I have a big old list of. Sometimes I find it listed in the ingredients list but more often than not, it's just "fragrance". Natural oils and stuff might be ok, but if at all possible I would like to get fragrance free.

I looked on drugstore.com but they only have about 3 or 4 fragrance free shampoos. I went by reviews to compare similar hair types... but none of them seem all that promising. :(

Yeah some of them add things like essential oils or parts of plants and that's what creates the fragrance, instead of synthetic chemicals or whatever. They smell different than "normal". Like if you bought an all natural lavender shampoo, and a regular lavender shampoo...they smell completely different. I think the all natural ones smell a lot better, but that might just be me.

Maybe there is some other site where you could look? I really like the fragrances so I've never tried out the fragrance free ones before.

Good luck though! Hopefully sooner or later you'll find one that works for you. I went through a lot of different shampoos and conditioners before I found ones I liked enough to stick with.

Which lipstick in the Urban Decay collection do you use? I may have to look into it. My lips are super sensitive that I can't even use any menthol toothpaste. I'm tired of trying all these lip products just to look like Bozo the clown the next morning. The only lipstick I've found so far is one from Avon. But I just noticed even that is irritating my lips now. I've decided to forgo makeup with the exception of mascara. I can't go into work looking like I just woke up.:p Weekends are my makeup free day.

You have really good complexion. I don't think you need to use the Bare Mineral though I do love the way it looks, just messy to apply. For the face, I found the Clinque Redness relief solution works really good, the cleanser and cream.

I use this lipstick: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P219002&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=3806

Thanks for the compliment, Helen. I don't normally even like to put on makeup because I just don't feel like it a lot of the time, but there are days I look like a zombie and need some help :) It is a problem when I can't use any of my old makeup. I do wish Bare Minerals was easier to use. I am notorious for dropping stuff and once I did drop the cap and cleaning up the minerals was a real pain. Not to mention expensive.

This whole allergy/contact dermatitis thing is a pretty major life change. And in response, I'm going to have to make lifestyle changes, which I understand will take time to adjust. For now my hair suffers. But maybe one day I'll stumble on the right hair product.

November 9, 2010 - Kirby's Gotcha Day

What a wonderful day! Kirby's 2nd Gotcha Day! Whee!!! Kirby is one of the very few things that have been hugely influential and good in my life. He is happy, healthy and fun-loving now, a complete 180 from the bunny who came here 2 years ago. Look at him!

DSC_4101.jpg

DSC_4070.jpg

BUNNY LIPS! Suueeee!

And to top it off, he has a cute girl who responds to his every desire!
DSC_4034.jpg

"penny can u scratch my nose?"
DSC_4040.jpg

"penny can u clean my ear?"
DSC_4022.jpg

"penny i need a bath"
DSC_4053.jpg

"you missed a spot"
DSC_4056.jpg

"now what's for dinner?"
DSC_4055.jpg

Penny: "i'll get the other slave..."

That's where I come in! :biggrin2: I love Kirby. I hope this is the 2nd of many gotcha days to come.

:dutch

Latest posts

Back