King Kirby's Rabbit Nation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
myheart wrote:
It looks like the bonding sessions are going in a positive direction!!:DAre you using an exercise pen to keep them confined to the hallway?

I used an exercise pen in the kitchen to bond Zappa with Calli. The dates were okay, nothing spectacular. I did the same thing as you are doing--petting them to relax them, and then place them next to each other for more pets. Dates still went okay, but no major indication that they could be out together in the house. So I started to make the pen smaller so they would have to interact with each other. Then I would throw in one smaller piece of lettuce so they would have to decide who would get it, or if it would be shared. That actually seemed to help because that was when the girls had to decide who would relent to the dominant position for food. Calli backed off, allowed Zappa to eat first, and then stole lettuce from Zappa as she was eating it. So anyhow, my trio ranks with Zappa as dominant, Callie next, and Patrick willingly at the bottom. Patrick lost his place as dominant when Luna passed away, so he is easily bonded to any-bun now.

Don't mean to high-jack your thread... Please use any information you care to during your bonding sessions. Each bond is going to be different, but the more techniques you gather to try might help in your efforts.

Good luck with your boys,

myheart

Janet, that's such an interesting way to check their dominance! My boys have recently been deciding that they are both not going to be hungry little monsters they used to be so I might use a little treat instead... but right now I think they are not there yet. They are still sniffing and checking each other, they are both not giving up their position right now. The more techniques I have in my toolbox, the more equipped I will be to deal with this tough bunch :biggrin2:

So Zappa is number one now, huh? I sorta thought she would, she's spunky and Patrick is a butter-lotta-love LOL Do you have any pix of Callie? What kind of bun is she?

NorthernAutumn wrote:
You're doing great, Helen. I've read that it is always important to end each session on a positive note... glad you worked through it with them.

I couldnt end my last round of bonding on a good note at all. This round has been 5 for 5!!!

:pinkelepht::bunnydance:

February 10, 2010 - Bonding session #5

We went for 5 minutes today. Everything looked really good today. There were maybe a solid 60 seconds of them standing around looking at each other without me comforting them. I was petting Toby on the head to reward his good behavior when Kirby stood up and pawed at Toby's head. I took 100% of the hit so Toby wasn't scared or bothered. I think Kirby was annoyed that Toby didn't submit after all that standing around and staring. (Note to self: I have to dial it back to 3 minutes a session, seriously)

I never, ever would have considered the possibility until the woman, who came last Friday to help bond them,threw the idea out there: Kirby could be the alpha of the pair. My Kirby?? My sweet, ever loving, gets-picked-on-and-chased-after-by-Toby Kirby?!

Why yes, all this time he's been playing me for a fool. I should have seen the classic signs. The turning up of the nose in disapproval. The demands for love-pets. The demands for attention when HE wanted it. The complete disregard for my presence when he wasn't in the mood. He's been the King. He demands satisfaction.He is the definition of dominance. I can't believe I never saw it before. He clouded my vision with his cute dewy, "poor me" eyes.

I now have myself a problem. The only way my boys are going to bond is if Toby decides to give in and be number two. Oh man. What a trip this is going to be.

:shock:

But don't they look cute together? I'd do anything for this to be permanent.
P1050634-1.jpg

Immediately after bonding was done tonight, Kirby ran circles around me and refused to stop poking me and pawing at me until I pet him for 20 minutes. What a bun.

:dutch

Just a thought...Are you switching litter boxes or anything like that? I know Kirby and Toby live right next to each other, but I found that switching litter boxes, or if that's not possible maybe toys or something, can really help them get use to having the other bunny's scent in their territory.

I believe this is what really helped me to bond my two boys in the past. They lived right next to each other too, so could always see and smell each other, but actually having the other ones scent directly in their area really seemed to make a breakthrough in the bonding. I dunno, might not help everyone of course, but I figured I'd mention it.

kirbyultra wrote:
So Zappa is number one now, huh? I sorta thought she would, she's spunky and Patrick is a butter-lotta-love LOL Do you have any pix of Callie? What kind of bun is she?

There is one pic of Calli on the forum. It is in Katt's blog because her Chaucer is a Siamese Satin. Calli is small for a Satin. Naturestee and I thought that she was out of a breeding program and didn't have the size or marks to stay. Her former owner bought her from a pet store, probable dumping ground for those that don't fit the bill as breeders.

myheart

I tried that once, it didn't seem to really bother either bun. No visible signs of annoyance or acceptance at all.

I don't think they noticeably react to it. Mine didn't either, but after a week or so I really started to notice a difference with how they reacted to each other during bonding sessions.

Dragonrain wrote:
I tried that once, it didn't seem to really bother either bun. No visible signs of annoyance or acceptance at all.

I don't think they noticeably react to it. Mine didn't either, but after a week or so I really started to notice a difference with how they reacted to each other during bonding sessions.

I just cleaned their boxes today! I might try it after they soil it a little lol

I am going on vacay with my best friend next week, so I don't know if it's worth it to try this right now - but I'm going to make sure my husband continues doing short sessions with the buns for the 6 days I'm gone. I think it is important to not let there be a big lapse in the bonding sessions. I don't know if it's true but in my mind it seems to make sense :p

Kelly (khermann) made this suggestion last year too. I swapped toys and they were just as uninterested in each other's toys as they were their own - sheesh, hard to please!

myheart wrote:
kirbyultra wrote:

There is one pic of Calli on the forum. It is in Katt's blog because her Chaucer is a Siamese Satin. Calli is small for a Satin. Naturestee and I thought that she was out of a breeding program and didn't have the size or marks to stay. Her former owner bought her from a pet store, probable dumping ground for those that don't fit the bill as breeders.

myheart

I will have to look for the pic of Callie!

Speaking of pet store bunny who got dumped... I'd like to talk about my about-to-my-first-bunny-rescue.

Without getting too specific, I learned that one of my acquaintances knows someone who owns a bun who's been neglected for 3 years.

Three. Years.

The poor girl was bought as a gift by her friends as a birthday gift. She wasn't prepared for it and apparently never bothered to learn about rabbit care. The rabbit was a cute baby bunny (what pet store bunny isn't a cute baby bunny?). Then one day the bunny grew up. And continued growing. And kept growing... this bun is probably one of the larger breeds. I haven't seen any pix of her. She was described to me as a gigantic white rabbit who is "not cute" and probably over 13 lbs.

I learned about her existence on the day of the blizzard that just hit the NY area. He told me this rabbit is constantly outdoors, in a cage and never released to exercise (she's probably overweight, on top of the fact that she's probably a big breed). It was snowing and windy... no condition for a rabbit to be outside in a wire cage exposed to the elements. My heart raced, I didn't know how to handle. I wanted to scream. I wanted to shake this person and ask him to take me to his friend's rabbit immediately and surrender or I'd call authorities. I was really afraid the whole thing would backfire. I needed to get this rabbit to safety.

I emailed my fellow rescue volunteers and they gave me some advice. I am strategizing... I keep offering nicely to pick up the rabbit. I let him know that if she does not want to keep the rabbit (she clearly wants to get rid of her and told him as much) she should surrender the rabbit to the shelter. But because of the information I know I am afraid that she won't bother. I have convinced them to bring the rabbit to me and I would find her a home. They are going to bring the rabbit to me on Saturday (I would have preferred tonight, but they wouldn't agree).

I'm frightened for this poor rabbit. They wanted to bathe it before bringing the bun to me. I told him no, please don't. He said she's filthy. I said that's ok, don't try to bathe the rabbit, she'll get so scared and fight you to the death. He says that explains why she screamed in the past when they tried to bathe her :tears2:

I hope I get her Saturday. I have a lot of things to do this weekend, but I will carve out an hour to take her to the shelter and hopefully she'll get looked at asap.

I'm pretty distraught over this. My husband is even unsettled after hearing about this rabbit's conditions. My friends tell me that I can't save all the rabbits in the world. But... I can save this one. :tears2:

:pray: :hug:to this little girl. Good for you, being able to get her out of those conditions. Saturday is better than not at all. Please post pics of this beautiful girl.

myheart

Helen, I think that's wonderful that you will rescue this poor girl. She deserves a better life with someone who can give her the attention she deserves. Which shelter are you taking her to?

The rescue group I volunteer with houses bunnies at the NYC Animal Care & Control shelter. We have very little space currently but all our volunteers work hard to make sure all intaken buns are cared for. We do our best to give them homes we think will be acceptable. It's hard to imagine what these buns went through in their lives. Rabbits shouldn't be caged like this and never let out to stretch their legs. It's a real shame. When I think about my Kirby and how he was left in a hutch I also can't help but feel sad and helpless. I am glad I adopted him.

Oh no that poor girl - the weather has been so bad lately too! I'm so glad you where able to convince the owners to bring her to you.

I was feeling shaky about it, but the guy is going to bring the bun to me tomorrow. The female owner may or may not be there. Not sure. I alerted the shelter that I'd be bringing her in.

I've been told the bun only eats pellets.... no wonder they say she is far. :grumpy:

Let us know when you get her.

I still have to make it to the post office to mail you the package. Things have been so nuts lately.

JadeIcing wrote:
Let us know when you get her.

I still have to make it to the post office to mail you the package. Things have been so nuts lately.

That's what I figured :) You got my thing in the mail though, right?

I did get the bun today. It's been a crazy day. Will update tomorrow... I am flying to California for a week on Monday. It's nonstop crazy until I get to Cali to relax.

Yes I did.

I'm enroute to my hotel right now but waiting for a connecting flight. But quick update. The bun was rescued, she is a "he" and he is not yet neutered. His health is actually fine from what we can tell. His poops are kind of wet but not terrible. We need to get his nutrition back up to spec, and he could gain about a pound I think. I went to see him at the shelter before leaving and he was given one of our largest cages so he could hop around. He was happy but shy, I even got to see him dead-bunny-flop. I was thrilled to see this because I wasn't sure about his mood up till then. I think he will be ok. We renamed him. He is now Portobello :) He is simply gorgeous. I don't know what breed but he is cream colored with a gray tone on the nose and a tan overlay on the back. He is very clean for an outdoor hutch bun. He's so cute in my opinion. Have no idea how anyone could ignore him :( I took pix before leaving but haven't had time to post them. Will do so real soon.

I emailed the other volunteers to see if we're scarce on cage allotment; if so, I would foster Porto. My husband is back home so he could care for him and pick him up, etc. I don't know what our sorta program director will say.

Latest posts

Back