King Kirby's Rabbit Nation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
January 1, 2010 - Happy Bun Year

This year, my resolutions... too many to list :) But very, very high on my list is always to make my bunnies the happiest buns they can be :)

"Merry Christmas!"
P1050438.jpg

P1050443-1.jpg

P1050445.jpg

Kirby's buns

P1050435.jpg

"Mommy! You shouldn't show people my bun-buns!"
P1050448.jpg

*disapprove*
P1050417.jpg

Peekaboo!
P1050429.jpg

Peekaboo-boo!
P1050430.jpg

:dutch

Jan 8, 2010 - A Poem for King Kirby

NYHRS/NY Rabbit Rescue and Rehab is running a "love letter to bunnies" piece in their next newsletter. I wrote this for Kirby. Should I submit it?? Comments? Critiques?

Dearest King Kirby of black and white fur,
Have you heard of this silly rumor?
They say that it is possible to remove a bun,
From the throbbing heart of someone.

I really do not think that it can be true,
That I can be rid of a royal bun like you.
You thumped deep into my soul,
Without you, I wouldn’t be whole.

Your majestic whiskers tickle my face,
Your brown eyes my mind can’t erase.
High-hopping binkies make me smile,
Also when you flop into a soft pile.

On Valentine’s Day, would you please be a dear,
If you can spare a moment from cleaning your rear,
Is there a bunny kiss you are willing to save,
Just for me, your forever bun slave?

Maybe bun dad will write one for Sir Toby.

Maybe not! :p :)

You don't think the poem is too corny? lol

kirbyultra wrote:
You don't think the poem is too corny? lol

I don't think it's corny... Almost had me in tears until the end, then I had to laugh (with an added snort --very unlady-like ;)). I don't think you should hesitate to submit it. If you have reservations, set it aside for a few days, re-read it, make any changes, and then submit it.

myheart

hehe thanks... I think! :biggrin2:

I think it represents my relationship with Kirby really well, whichis why I think I will submit the poem tomorrow.He's never given me a bunny kiss before, no matter how I ache for one. Kirby usually just makes me want more and more of him while he sits and enjoys me doting on him. Sometimes it's heart-wrenching and sometimes he makes me laugh. It's true though, Kirby will always stay with me in my heart, no matter what.

It's harder to write something as... well, creative? ... for Toby. He's a very sweet bun, but I don't really feel as if I totally know him yet. I've had him for, wow, 7 months already. But he still doesn't trust me. He is still young and hasn't quite grown enough to make a connection with me, or anyone else, it seems. Before his stasis episode, he was just plain crazy and fearless and that's all there seemed to be with him. And bouts of bunny rage. After his stasis recovery, Toby is no longer fearless -- in fact, I feel that he has learned to fear loss of life, loss of freedom, loss of companionship. He likes to have someone near him, but he does not like you touching him. Before, he could take or leave you, he didn't really care either way. Now, if we are home, he would prefer for us to be in the rabbit room with him. He would rather not come bouncing out of his playpen, but he prefers the pen door open. He hears noises and he is scared by them.

Perhaps with an ounce of maturity and a real near-death experience under his belt, he has become more reserved. It is a bit sad to see him go through this behavioral change, but I think as a prey animal, I should expect that he would err on the side of being afraid and running away, and won't always be a nutty, mindless goofball. Because he is developing a little shy-shell since his stasis, he is even harder to get-to-know. In the last month we took a couple of steps backward.

I had Kirby for 7 months and had still not yet 100% won him over, but we were probably 90% of the way there. With Toby, even though I've had him since he was young, I feel as if we are only about 65% "together".

That said, I won't give up on Toby. He will get over this and I will be there waiting. Sometimes if I persist long enough by his pen, he will let me pet him. He doesn't flatten out for it, but he might sit still for it. He doesn't like me in his pen, only outside of it. I do remember it was many months until Kirby was really comfy with me all in his space, and occupying a lot of it.

kirbyultra wrote:
...It's harder to write something as... well, creative? ... for Toby. He's a very sweet bun, but I don't really feel as if I totally know him yet. I've had him for, wow, 7 months already. But he still doesn't trust me. ...
That's the way it was with Zappa and myself. Naturestee had said that Zappa was used to being handled because she was the first to show signs of disease when she was a baby. I really thought she was mistaken because Zappa was so independent and didn't pay much attention to me.

A few weeks ago we had a breakthrough!! I was getting the piggies their foods when Zappa came behind me and licked my ankle!!! She always does the nose-bump, but this was the first lick all on her own. So at a year and a half old, Zappa decidedshe could trust me and sent me totally into tears. I was so proud of my baby-girl. I owe this all to Patrick and Luna teaching Zappa how to be greedy for petting. Without them, Zappa would still be a little wild-thing running around.

myheart

myheart wrote:
A few weeks ago we had a breakthrough!! I was getting the piggies their foods when Zappa came behind me and licked my ankle!!! She always does the nose-bump, but this was the first lick all on her own.
Congrats!! That is major, I am very happy for you and Zappa :)Speaking of which, I have been wondering when you are going to update Zappa's blog? I know you didn't want to venture back into Luna and Patrick's, but wasn't sure if you were feeling the same about Zappa's.

My little wascals? No, no such love from either bun yet :( They love me in other ways. But I feel just a little pathetic lying on the floor, begging Kirby for a bunny kiss.... :grumpy:

More on Toby:

Lately Toby seems to be able to use a digital clock. He knows exactly when it is 11:00pm sharp, and he will not come out to play until 11:00:00 pm each day. I'm not kidding. We clocked him 3 days in a row. Usually I come home, let Kirby out, then by dinner time Kirby goes back and relaxes and we open Toby's pen. He ignores his entrance until 11pm. It's actually astounding, my rabbit can tell time....

Meanwhile, I've been so tired that all I want is to sleep and yet, my playfun 11pm bun wants out. Husbun has been staying up to let him play lately. I love the man so much. He loves our buns so much. :inlove:

Today Toby finally did a total side-flop. He usually only does the half-flop (AKA "sphinx" pose). Maybe it is a sign that his mood is picking up again. He is so darn cute when he lies down, it's really his most adorable stance. He could ask me for my left arm ormaybe akidney to sell for money to buy more craisins, I'd probably agree to it. :biggrin2:

Toby really likes to take chunks out of his willow tent and eat it. Unlike Kirby, who just tugs the tent apart and lays the ruins out for me to clean up the next morning, Toby takes off pieces of the tent and eats it. In fact, willow sticksfrom his tent were one of the only things he would eat when he was in full blown stasis around Christmas.Most of the time he ignores the tentas food, and just uses it as a hideout. He usually rips out the seagrass mats I let them play with but I find that he also likes to eat pieces of it. Kirby strictly destroys both tent and grass mats. War ruins are for slaves to figure out. :p

More on volunteering:
Week 2 at Petco doing rabbit adoptions. This week was a lot of fun. One of last week's buns was adopted during the week, I was amazed! The bun that I really enjoyed last week was still here though :( I hope to not see her again next week, but at the same time, she was just a ton of fun to play with. Beautiful Silver Martin female, very bouncy and playful. We also got a lionhead up for adoption, and she recently gave birth AND got abandoned :( She is recovering wonderfully from everything (including a spay), and her personality cannot be more charming. I have a strong feeling she will be adopted soon because of how unique she looks and because she is simply very friendly and resilient. I am having a really good time spending my afternoons doing this :) :rainbow:

:dutch

kirbyultra wrote:
But I feel just a little pathetic lying on the floor, begging Kirby for a bunny kiss.... :grumpy:

Don't feel bad. I brought Snookiums to the bed last night and demanding the kisses I use to get when I would visit him at my parents house. But now that he lives with 2 friends and is very spoiled he's not obligated to hand out kisses. :(

kirbyultra wrote:
More on Toby:

Lately Toby seems to be able to use a digital clock. He knows exactly when it is 11:00pm sharp, and he will not come out to play until 11:00:00 pm each day. I'm not kidding. We clocked him 3 days in a row. Usually I come home, let Kirby out, then by dinner time Kirby goes back and relaxes and we open Toby's pen. He ignores his entrance until 11pm. It's actually astounding, my rabbit can tell time....
Sometimes they do amaze me. Baci knows exacty at 7pm to run up to his cageto go in for the nightand wait for his treat. However if we're late even 30 sec.with a treat,he'll come right back down.

We've had him for 1 1/2 yr now and never any bunny kisses from him, he only kisses our slipper. Go figure! Shades is the only bun out of 4 who'll give kisses.

I love your poem!
And thanks for the site referral..I never heard of busy bunny. They look like they have great things.
But my chinchillas are the ones who would reall LOVE that cottage..

Back