Jazz just had babies *URGENT ADVICE NEEDED*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bo B Bunny wrote:
I've known people who carried the baby (if there was a lone baby) in their bra to keep it warm. At least for the first few days. Of course not at night or anytime they might hurt it being there.

It's a thought LOL!
OMG! I've done that! LOL! I've put 3-4 in my bra for a few hours to warm them up if they are found on the wire or fall out of the nest box... don't sleep with them there, but if they need warming, it does the job. (What do men do?)

I'm checking this thread constantly. What a miracle baby this would be. I think it would have to become my favorite rabbit on RO, then!

Come oooon little baby! Our whole RO family is sending good vibes your way, for you, Jazz, and your human mama!

:hearts:hearts:hearts:hearts

lol my 8 month old who is exclusively breastfed might object to that, especially since she feeds over 10 times a day!!!!

If I carried the baby in my bra, I may as well express human milk for it......gross!!!! lol

I have read some very disturbing stories along those lines though, the stuff of nightmares!

Jazz got the goods, I got the kit, together we are a team!;)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I've known people who carried the baby (if there was a lone baby) in their bra to keep it warm. At least for the first few days. Of course not at night or anytime they might hurt it being there.

It's a thought LOL!

You've gotten some very good advice so far.

Keep baby clean, dry and warm. Take the baby to mom 2-3 times a day for feeding.

The heating pad is a good idea. I would offset the box so that only half is on the heating pad. Thay way if the baby gets too warm, he can wiggle off to the cooler part of the box.

I'll be praying for the little guy.

--Dawn

tundrakatiebean wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:
(What do men do?)
Man-zzer?

Yep, there's manboobs so why not?! :p

LISA, Yeah....... forgot about the baby being fed - just a heating pad for the furry one! LOL!

BlueGiants - How come I am not suprised? LOL! I would too tho!

also, I'm glad you mentioned the cut and how quickly they heal. That worried me terribly about this baby.

Keep us posted Lisa, I've had you and this little kit on my mind all night - thought of you guys first thing this morning.

Hellooooo

Just been so busy!

baby is doing WELL!:biggrin2:

The wound has sealed together and I am simply keeping it clean with warm saline solution (extremely weak dose of salt i.e. a few grains to half a cup warm water).

baby is vigorous at feeding time ad has just has his 3rd feed. He feeds for about 5 mins then simply blobs on Jazz while she is tranced.

Unfortuantely I cannot hold Jazz over baby with treats etc as she is just too jumpy.

She trances very easily and can stay that way throughout a feed.

I have even clipped her nails while she is tranced. She is very good at playing dead.

baby has round full tummy and is cuddling in his box.

Photo bucket site is currently under maintenance:X

I have photos, so many to share with you, I think I have taken close to 100 photos!! I PROMISE to upload loads tomorrow:)

baby is gorgeous, just perfect in every way.

Some hopefully minor concerns and questions:
baby has umbilical cord still attached, there is no way I want to pull on it just in case.

baby will need to pass BM and pee soon, when should I use use a warm cotton cloth dipped in water to soothe his tum and help him move all that colostrum along?
Do I really HAVE to do that?
Sounds delightful;)

poor Jazz is looking around for her baby? She seems to enjoy the feeding times but I just feel I should wait to properly reintroduce Mum and baby as besides feed times, she would naturally ignore her kit anyway.

I have a shoe box with a nest in one corner and a hot water bottle in the other. The hottie is covered in layers of cloth and there is plenty of chance for kit to stay warm or move away from the heat.

Kit settles into a deep sleep about 15mins after feeding.

I once heard that for every 24hrs that a kit is alive, their chance of survival increases by 10%.

Interesting.

I am so proud of Jazz for letting baby feed and for her huge appetite right now, she is eating almost all the time when she is not resting and pacing.

She has had half cup pellets today (good quality ones), some treats for the new mum like thin slices of apple and carrot and some parsley and her favourite....a few strands of fresh grass. Also plenty of hay, I gave her a huge handful and its almost all gone:biggrin2:

good girl Jazz, my lovely sleek little lady has been through so much.
I am sorry she tried to hurt her babies but thats all over and the surviving baby is really strong and able to feed very well.

I suspect a boy but really have not much idea. Guess I just secretly want a little boy.:biggrin2:

exhausted grandmamma here so off to bed, kit will be in box next to my bed, I have a torch handy and will check on him all night long.
Not expecting to offer him to Jazz for another feed until morning, which by then will make it 4 feeds in around 30 hours. Hopefully thats about right, I mean the little guy is one big hungry kit, almost a third larger than any of the others I saw!

I'm so glad the baby is doing well!

Tell, me - did the cats have access to the nest at all? Could they have injured the baby?

Poor Jazz, she wants to take care of it. Maybe her instinct to protect to the death came on?

Meaning: Rabbits will kill their own babies before letting something else get them. Maybe she saw the cats as a threat?

I can't wait to see the pictures! he is so precious! (HA! I'm calling it a he too!)

Bo, something definately spooked Jazz.

I kept the cats outside, they are still outside.
The cats are giving me the evils but they have to stay out.

Unfortunately it is Guy Fox and there has been a lot of noise last night. It was unexpected so my pets and I were not prepared. It was just one neighbour having a party and scaring all the animals for a block with the cracks of doom!! I estimated that beofre the birth of the babies, there was quite a bit of nasty noise aroud the deck, I could not sleep and my own baby woke up so it may have contributed to all this loss for the new mum.

The lounge was dead still from 4am this morning to now as this is where Jazz and her kit are. the kids have been up here but they have been quiet, we have all taken our shoes off too etc.

With cats roaming around on the deck last night too, it is highly likely jazz just freaked out.

The little surviving kit was fine though until Jazz charged the nest so I do believe it was her that tore the babies skin.

poor jazz.
If only I had known , I could have protected her form all the pain she has been through.

Hopefully her always spunky personality will shine through and besides her and the new kit may become the best of buddies sooner or later:biggrin2:

Thankfully its raining now so no fireworks tonight...yay!!

I had no idea what GUY FOX was but had to look it up. LOL! You foreigners! ;);)

It sounds like all of the commotion did upset her. That poor girl! She's still a bit of a baby herself!

Would you give that girl and tiny little babe an ear rub for me? they are both just precious.Jazz is so shiney! She's very healthy apparently! My horse is like that all the time and people always ask "did you just bathe him? did you spray him with some sort of shine stuff?" but it's just his nature.

Enjoy the quiet.

btw - when do we get to see YOUR baby? I'd love to. :D

One issue with attempting to bond Jazz and the kit is that she doesn't have a nest that she marked during kindling. The doe recognizes the scent of her own nest - not the scent of the kits (you can switch all the kits and the doe would never know). To Jazz, the little kit is a stranger :?

Pam

Oh wow.. I am so glad you made it through the night (at least it was night here anyway) I was thinking of you when I went to bed and first thing this morning. Seems like Jazz has settled down a lot.

We have a doe that just seemed to be freaked out by her first litter. Not right away, but when they started to climb out of the nest. She growled and jumped at them, especially when they tried to nurse! Maybe it was just first time inexperience. I am sorry you lost the others, but you did a good job with this one.

We love blues! But we rarely get them. Keep the pics coming!

Hi Pam

All her original nest is intact.
half of it is in the shoe box and the other half is in the first nesting box I had for
Jazz.
I have not made any additions to the material of the nest but my human smell will be all over it.

pamnock wrote:
One issue with attempting to bond Jazz and the kit is that she doesn't have a nest that she marked during kindling. The doe recognizes the scent of her own nest - not the scent of the kits (you can switch all the kits and the doe would never know). To Jazz, the little kit is a stranger :?

Pam

lemonaxis wrote:
Hi Pam

All her original nest is intact.
half of it is in the shoe box and the other half is in the first nesting box I had for
Jazz.
I have not made any additions to the material of the nest but my human smell will be all over it.

pamnock wrote:

Pam

Opps - sorry - I forgot you said she had made a nest.;)

Pam

She shouldn't care about the human smell, she knows you. It's HER smell she needs and it's there also.

How is the baby doing? From the pics, it doesn't look starving, maybe due to be fed but not starving. Being a first time mom I would give her benifit of the doubt that she was going to eat it. Maybe she got nervous and was trying to move it. They can not move their babies safely so they end up hurting them or even killing them. It has happen to me with a first time mom whose kits had gotten out of the box.

If you do hand feed it, when it is about 2 weeks old you need to add something to it's formula to get the good stomache flora going. There is stuff you can buy but I have had great success by putting cecal droppings in some water and the adding/mixing this cecal water to the formula. Normally the kit would get the flora by eating Mom's cecal droppings. Without the good flora the kit will die. Good luck with your kit.

Latest posts

Back