Jazz just had babies *URGENT ADVICE NEEDED*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I wouldn't force anything until it's been certain she's not going in to feed them. She might be waiting for some time alone!

That's their nature. They stay away from the nest to insure the babies aren't preyed upon.

She might be feeling a bit defensive. Put her in with them and walk away for a few..... if you can watch her without her knowing fine.

I agree. I think she probably just needs some time. I would only worry if your babies seem lethargic. They will sleep a lot, of course, but if you go in the nest, they should squirm around and squeak.

This is her first litter, so she probably just needs some adjustment time, and rest. Rabbit milk is the richest milk there is, so once or twice a day is fine. Relax... and enjoy watching them grow - it goes so fast!

:rabbithop

only 1 baby left now the tiny weak one died after trying to get it to feed.
Its actually quite a relief because Jazz tried to boot it out of the nest several times.

She refused to feed the baby but the surviving one is doing well.

I will let the pics tell the story:

the strong kit:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z208/lemonaxis/babies032.jpg

the weak one just before he died: :(

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z208/lemonaxis/babies033.jpg

the strong kit getting in a quick feed before Mum made her escape:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z208/lemonaxis/babies042.jpg

Her nest box (temporary):

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z208/lemonaxis/babies044.jpg

Ouch! I think that cut looks pretty nasty. Is it safe to put some neosporin or something on it?

I am not a breeder and have zero kit experience, but I would see what a few breeders have to say. I am not sure how great the baby's chance is by hand feeding it, but it might be worth a shot if you want him to survive.

Maybe Jazz just isn't getting enough alone time with the baby? It's a tough decision because you really don't know if she will care for it if you leave it with her.

Start reading up on hand-feeding babies. I can search now for sites that tell you how to do it and what to feed it.

We've had half a dozen litters, but I've never seen this. It looked like she didn't even clean them off very well. My feeling is that the baby is not safe with the mother. Maybe you could move the baby and nest to another box for the night. If he's nursed once, he'll be fine as far as food goes. I'd also put some antibiotic ointment on the cut. Tomorrow morning you could try to hold the doe and let the baby nurse again. Get someone to help you.

I hope your baby makes it. I'll check back tomorrow. Good luck...

I edited your title to "*URGENT ADVICE NEEDED*", so it would draw more attention to more experienced people with dealing with kits.

:hug:

I would take the baby away asap and take it to her two or three times per day and have her feed it. I use a basket/box type thing with carrots and stuff in the corners and then I put the baby in under mama while she's snacking. I would not let her head get near the baby while it is nursing.

Also - you will need to use a damp towel (warm) to stimulate it to pee and poo.

Peg

Bl#@!*y h@#l

excuse the language!

I am NOT up to any more sickness or death, now my tone may come across as harsh but please, its rather just desperate for some health and happiness.

nearly 2 years ago (or so can't quite remember) Lila died of a virus.
Then my other bun Jane developed an abcess on her windpipe and died.

Then Rusty, the little rescue bun I had for a few days did not make it.

Then BK and I am far from over that!

Now Jazz is being aggressive towards her last baby and I have had to remove the box.

I am not a person who takes sympathy well so just ahead of any possible sadness, I think I need to clear my head, try hand rear baby and deal with this without tears and heartache. I am a highly pratical and logical person but somehow BK, Rusty and Lila and Jane managed to squeeze through the cracks and reduced me to an incredible sadness.

Not this time!:nosir:

I will lie Jazz down and let baby suckle.
I will buy goats milk plus freeze dried colostrum plus kitten milk etc in case.
I will use a warm cotton wool ball to simulate bowel and bladder movement.
I will apply antibiotic ointment to the wound.
I will sterilize all equipment used and keep hands clean.:p

If this all fails, then this time, I will stand hard and just look after Jazz the way every bun deserves.

There has been enough tears in this house due to our buns health problems, I feel like every time I post on RO there is some new emergency.

Well God bless this little baby and if He wills it, the baby will live.:)
I will do everything in my power to save it.
i have the strength for this formiddable task of raising a new kit and will update again soon.....:)

Yeah, she didn't clean them very well. The cut bothers me. It's big and for a little baby it's deep. No wonder they were being so squeaky!

I guess Jazz being young is hard on her. Just take good care of the baby.

I'm so sorry you've had so much heartache! :hug:

The best thing you can do for this baby now is to remove it from the mother and hand raise it. By that I mean forcing mom to feed it twice to three times a day. You will know when to stop as the baby will get a fat belly. When you have the mother on her back and the little one is nursing, pay special attention that the mother doesn't get annoyed and try to kick the little baby off.

Because the baby is all by itself, I would get a heating pad and place it on the floor or wherever you will have the nestbox. Place a towel folded on top of it so it can't get too hot. Keep it on its lowest setting. Place the nestbox on top of this towel. Check periodically to ensure that it isn't getting too hot for the baby.

Good luck with your little guy...

Sharon

I've known people who carried the baby (if there was a lone baby) in their bra to keep it warm. At least for the first few days. Of course not at night or anytime they might hurt it being there.

It's a thought LOL!

I've had the best luck with putting the doe on top of the baby instead of holding her on her back... especially if there is only one. I hold the does head gently with one finger between the ears... and put the baby under her. Let the baby go from nipple to nipple, and give him about 4-5 minutes max. Then put him back in his box.

Keep the wound clean and it will heal. Babies heal up pretty well if kept clean and dry. Don't use peroxide or alcohol. Aa thin film of Baitracin works good. I prefer to use Vanodine to clean the baby, but you can use Betadine too.

I'm sorry the baby is injured. And I do know how it is to always seem to post with bad (or sad) news.... you can do this... for the sake of the baby and Jazzy... (My best wishes for you and the baby.)

Latest posts

Back