Jazz just had babies *URGENT ADVICE NEEDED*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've received lots of good advice - let me just add something.

A breeder who has a doe that is a first time mama will often have losses like that - even with giving mom a nestbox earlier, etc.

Many times first time mamas just don't understand what to do - sometimes it takes a litter or two for them to get it right.

So don't feel bad about the ones that passed...it isn't your fault. Odds are good maybe she had the lone one first..then went to have the others and pulled fur then or whatever.

There are tricks if mama doesn't feed them (like holding her over them, etc).

I don't remember what color mama is and your other buck is...but I'm guessing you'll know their color in a few days.

That would be awesome if you had a small part of BK with you this way...even if you choose to rehome them later.

Peg

Peg, BK was blue, Jazz is black and Kruger (the other man who we hope was only a platonic distant relationship) is white.

:biggrin2:

Is it okay to be this insanely happy?

Isn't it a wonderful feeling? I get giddy everytime I see a new litter. I'm so happy for you! Pleae let us know what colors they are... (Blue? Maybe BK's babies?)

:shock:eek:h my goodness! How exciting is this?!?:biggrin2:

Isn't is amazing how just when you decide to stay put with what you have life throws something perfectly contradictory at you :p

I'm so excited over this! Jazz is the bunny virgin mary :shock::p

Do you know what you're going to do with the babies?

*squeels* so excited!

OH MY GOODNESS!! What a shock and a half!! :shock:

Wow...I'm so happy, yet also soooo shocked!!

Amazing...and definitely a little miracle to help you through this time...how wonderfully sweet...

I can't wait to hear more! :D

Congratulations to you Grandmama...and to Jazzy, new Mama!! :D

:bouquet::hug:

tundrakatiebean wrote:

That is the funniest thing I've read today! LOL!

We can make poo rosaries.

OMG that's awful - Sorry if I offended anyone...... :p

Wowie! How exciting! I hope they are little BKs. Are you going to keep them? Has Jazz fed them yet?

Hi! I just read your good news -congrats!! We just had babies this week too, and it is soooo much fun. I just wanted to add for anyone who might be following - there are a few nesting materials available out there in pet stores. They are something like poly fill. Do notuse them! Our doe is a little stingy with her fur, and we used some of the nesting material with her last litter. We went to the nest one day to find the baby (there was only one) squealing and gasping with the nesting material twisted around his neck! We quickly got him out and he was fine, but we will never use that stuff again. It is much better to try to brush the doe for more fur. But really, if your rabbits are inside and they have each other, they will be fine. Ours have been fine outside, but there are four of them in an enclosed section of the hutch, with plenty of pine bedding, plus the fur.

It is really amazing that rabbits just seem to know what to do. You will rarely catch her nursing the babies. But as long as the kits are growing and active and making little noises ( in a couple of days) they are fine. As someone else said, their little bellies should look round.

We think the babies are at their cutest around 2 weeks. Their eyes are open and they have this great fluffy baby fur that is just irresistible! Our babies get held and kissed a lot! The mom never minds. So enjoy your unexpected bundles!!

tundrakatiebean wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
tundrakatiebean wrote:

That is the funniest thing I've read today! LOL!

We can make poo rosaries.

OMG that's awful - Sorry if I offended anyone...... :p
:laugh:I love you, that is awesome!
and I'm Catholic. :embarrassed:

Gods you guys are so funny!!:laugh:

If Jazz walks over the babies, won't she scratch them?

When will she feed them? I keep wondering.
Please explain to me what trick that was about holding mama over her babies. Seems impossible to me as Jazz is not used to be handled.
She is no lap bun.

If I were to try hold her over the babies, she would buck and bite and hurt them too.

They just squeak and squeak and one is quite a bit smaller than the other.
Could I hold Jazz in a position on her back and pop babies near her teats, would that do the trick.

I know I may be rushing things but something tells me they need to be fed VERY soon.

I understand Jazz will ignore them other than feeds, its just this first feed that I am worried about?

The babies need food!

Hmmm..... I would try that. sort of try to pet her and not make her mad. you don't want it to be a bad experience..... like make sure you give her a treat and stuff for doing it.

I want squeaky babies!!!!

You can flip her over and hold a baby to her teats. This method is considered risky and stressful for mom. If she kicks or squirms, then the nursing baby could go flying. I would try getting her onto the nest first. And if you do try this method, then make sure you have another set of hand to help, one person tends to mom while one holds the babies and is prepared to remove them if mom squirms.

If you have the babies in a nice deep nest. Lots of hay tightly compacted with a fist sized hole in the middle, then set mom ontop. The hay will provide a bit of a platform for mom and the babies will reach up from below.

If you can get her onto the nest, then feed her treats or greens to keep her occupied while the babies nurse. And that way, if mom decides to bolt, she shouldn't step on the babies.

Make sure the babies are nursing for at least 5 minutes.

Can you post pictures of the babies?

This is the only picture I can find of a young baby belly (3 days old):

When babies nurse, they will frantically go from nipple to nipple. They will spend a few seconds on one nipple until the root around and find another. So don't worry, they are getting milk even if they are frantically going from nipple to nipple.

--Dawn

We had a litter that we were worried about, and we would hold the mother on her back, in my lap and just stick the babies on her belly - they know what to do. If you're not used to flipping your rabbit over, it is easier if you hold her head, kind of grabbing onto the ears and hold her hips with your other hand. Show rabbits are used to this. It doesn't hurt them, but the key is to be firm enough so she doesn't flip back out of your hands. It would help to have someone else with you. But really, she probably will feed them if you just let her be. Our doe seemed to be attacking the babies once they started to move around on their own (lunging and growling at them), so that's why we did this. But we really didn't have to, and I think what we viewed as an attack was really just a warning to the babies to get back in the nest where they were safe.

Back